Hair line crack (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
While cleaning the van today I noticed a very small hair line crack on the roof of the van, I will book it into the garage for a once over .
I had to look hard to find it again when I'd finished washing the van.
Just some advice really , is it something I should worry about re water ingress. The van is coming up for 2 years old. I've covered it with some tape at the moment.
Thanks in advance for your feedback :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
personally i wouldnt worry too much.

The gel coat will develop more minor cracks as time goes on.......the gel coat is only the smooth coloured finish and it doesnt mean its going to leak.

The whole thickness of the grp is waterproof so the crack would need to go all the way through before a leak developed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The whole thickness of the grp is waterproof so the crack would need to go all the way through before a leak developed.

Standard failure mode of fibreglass, water gets in crack, freezes and the surface breaks up. Not desperate on a MH but on a glider can ruin it's performance,

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Standard failure mode of fibreglass, water gets in crack, freezes and the surface breaks up. Not desperate on a MH but on a glider can ruin it's performance,

thats why proper aeroplanes have engines Brian....helps overcome drag. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
That's why we hard wax the gel - to minimise uv damage and keep full-thickness cracks at bay. Try hard waxing a motorhome:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (It's bloody hard work)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back