Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We're making more use of the Rv during the winter this year (Visiting Friends and Relatives) and just wanted some advice regarding what you Guys do to Winterise your vehicles, bearing in mind my Kids don't like getting cold at night.:RollEyes:

We already have 2 Inboard Fresh water tanks and blown heating but looking at other safe heating possibilities when hooked up to EHU.

Our Grey and Black tanks are slung under the chassis.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
OI were still waiting for a summer here in Wales, no more talk of winter::bigsmile:

Steve, do you mean winterising (laying her up for the winter) or winterising keeping her warm/er whilst in use during the winter.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Guys do to Winterise your vehicles, bearing in mind my Kids don't like getting cold at night.:RollEyes:
I don't know about wales, but up here int North, we dont lay up the kids for winter as well:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Weve used ours through winter for the last three years Steve and we had no problems s with tanks freezing, inside we used oil filled radiators and keep one on 24/7 when parked up, you can get tank heaters as well if your worried about those
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Hi Steve,

I know that we are not ARV owners, however, our grey waste tank is also slung under the chassis.....but is totally enclosed and well insulated. Are your tanks exposed to the elements, ie, snow, ice, and wind chill. If so, then you need to consider insulation, or tank heaters as Geo mentioned.

Cheers,

Jock.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: When we visit friends in Murnau, Germany we didn't find any problems. Apart from we were not getting much Solar Power. :ROFLMAO:

JS-SNO1.jpg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Good grief JSW,

Never mind the lack of solar power, it looks like a sheer drop at the rear, with a fair downward slope at the front too.
Did you have the RV airlifted in? :winky::winky::winky:

Jock.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Good grief JSW,

Never mind the lack of solar power, it looks like a sheer drop at the rear, with a fair downward slope at the front too.
Did you have the RV airlifted in? :winky::winky::winky:

Jock.

:roflmto: All the way to the FROZEN Lake. It was a LOT further and steeper than it looks.:-

JS-SNO2.jpg

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We're making more use of the Rv during the winter this year (Visiting Friends and Relatives) and just wanted some advice regarding what you Guys do to Winterise your vehicles, bearing in mind my Kids don't like getting cold at night.:RollEyes:

We already have 2 Inboard Fresh water tanks and blown heating but looking at other safe heating possibilities when hooked up to EHU.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

I dont really winterize as we use it all year.

but

As I no longer have hook up in storage during the colder months drain down the tanks but totally empty the boiler.

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
OI were still waiting for a summer here in Wales, no more talk of winter::bigsmile:

Steve, do you mean winterising (laying her up for the winter) or winterising keeping her warm/er whilst in use during the winter.

We're basking in Summer sunshine here Jim.

It's coming your way.:thumb:

We intend to use it more this winter so "keeping her warm/er whilst in use during the winter" is what I meant.:thumb:

Sorry for the ambiguity.

Steve.

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I don't know about wales, but up here int North, we dont lay up the kids for winter as well:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Weve used ours through winter for the last three years Steve and we had no problems s with tanks freezing, inside we used oil filled radiators and keep one on 24/7 when parked up, you can get tank heaters as well if your worried about those
Geo

I think Deep down the kids are tough enough to rough it.:ROFLMAO:

I was thinking about buying those tubular heaters to keep the rig warm while keeping any fire risk to an absolute minimum.

The Black and Grey Tanks are not insulated at the moment and I'm concerned they will freeze in the UK's "arctic winter":RollEyes:.Could spray them with a coating of expanding foam or buy Polystyrene blocks to lag them I guess.

A previous Motorhome we had , had this already done.

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Steve,

I know that we are not ARV owners, however, our grey waste tank is also slung under the chassis.....but is totally enclosed and well insulated. Are your tanks exposed to the elements, ie, snow, ice, and wind chill. If so, then you need to consider insulation, or tank heaters as Geo mentioned.

Cheers,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

Yes they are exposed and I'm concerned they might freeze up.

Was thinking of spraying a coating of expanding foam over them.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi Jock,

Yes they are exposed and I'm concerned they might freeze up.

Was thinking of spraying a coating of expanding foam over them.

:Sad: I was thinking of doing that to the Newmar. The pipes froze up during our USA tour. Until I realised that the Basement comes with heating. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
:Sad: I was thinking of doing that to the Newmar. The pipes froze up during our USA tour. Until I realised that the Basement comes with heating. :RollEyes:

So All I have to do is install a Basement then John.:RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

Oh...and increase the ride height.

Do you think Expanding Foam will adhere to the tanks ok?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back