Fiat Reverse judder (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have read about the "judder" in reverse (Ducato), especially when reversing uphill.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Have Fiat accepted that there is a problem and proposed a fix?

My Ducato (2007 model) exhibits some judder and I am anxious that it doesn't get worse.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there are 2 mods , first they change some engine and gearbox mountings then if that is not satisfactory they change some parts in the gearbox.

you may be out of luck for a warranty job on a 2007, it was never a recall only actioned on those reported by owners, as far as i know. our previous van was a 2008 X250 and there were some signs of judder but not bad, they changes the mountings and all was well.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i believe it was only on the later models.

Your problem could be a soft/perished or broken engine or gearbox mount allowing the engine to bounce around in reverse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
john is correct it was on 2007 to about 2011 Fiat X250 fitted with the 2.3ltr engine, 6 speed box, but depended on the chassis fitted light / heavy ( alko / Fiat etc ) depended on how bad or even if you had it at all.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
In 2008 I bought a new Auto Trail and the clutch failed after less than 200 miles,as it was a 3 litre, Fiat did their best to deny it and cover up my efforts, They had a customer relations manager who attempted to bamboozle me with pathetic excuses. After putting up with this torrent of drivel I then informed him that I was a qualified mechanical engineer and a member if the Institute of Road Transport, and I was not in any way convinced.At last they did the mod,but refused me sitting in on the road test and wouldn't let me have a copy of the road test report-IT WAS MY VEHICLE FOR GAWDS SAKE.
At the time FIAT Customer Care didn't care!
Andy Stothert from MMM magazine was a thorn in their sides but even he didn't get very far,he could have,but I reckon he was on 'team orders'.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
In 2008 I bought a new Auto Trail and the clutch failed after less than 200 miles,as it was a 3 litre, Fiat did their best to deny it and cover up my efforts, They had a customer relations manager who attempted to bamboozle me with pathetic excuses. After putting up with this torrent of drivel I then informed him that I was a qualified mechanical engineer and a member if the Institute of Road Transport, and I was not in any way convinced.At last they did the mod,but refused me sitting in on the road test and wouldn't let me have a copy of the road test report-IT WAS MY VEHICLE FOR GAWDS SAKE.
At the time FIAT Customer Care didn't care!
Andy Stothert from MMM magazine was a thorn in their sides but even he didn't get very far,he could have,but I reckon he was on 'team orders'.

I thought the bloke did the best he could, he was certainly responsible to publicising the issue and perhaps Fiat would not have even agreed to do the modifications if he had not persisted, What do you mean when you say you think he was on "team orders" as you put it?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
as far as i am aware the reverse judder problem on the 2.3ltr 6 speed and any clutch issue on the 3 ltr were not related. so as not to confuse the OP. Fiat customer service on motorhomes has moved on since the judder gate IMHO they sorted mine asap in 2009 and they arranged all the parts and the fitting.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Fiat Judder

I have read about the "judder" in reverse (Ducato), especially when reversing uphill.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Have Fiat accepted that there is a problem and proposed a fix?

My Ducato (2007 model) exhibits some judder and I am anxious that it doesn't get worse.

Thanks to all. :thumb:

The "judder" on mine is not at all bad, I've had worse on cars. It was just the reports that got me worried. If it gets no worse I will be quite happy. I only really noticed it yesterday when I was reversing around a tight bend, uphill, in heavy rain and howling gale, having turned into a "too narrow" Lakedistrict village lane. Fortunately I DID see the Narrow Road sign as I made the turn !

Happy motorhoming.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks to all. :thumb:

The "judder" on mine is not at all bad, I've had worse on cars. It was just the reports that got me worried. If it gets no worse I will be quite happy. I only really noticed it yesterday when I was reversing around a tight bend, uphill, in heavy rain and howling gale, having turned into a [HI]"too narrow" Lakedistrict village lane. [/HI] Fortunately I DID see the Narrow Road sign as I made the turn !

Happy motorhoming.

Yep....the lake district has a monopoly on them.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Fiat Judder

The sad thing is I was brought up in the Lake District, (although I left there 40 years ago).

Everything seemed bigger (wider?) when I were a lad! Either that or the roads have shrunk with all the rain.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No, it's vehicles which have got bigger! The Lake District is no problem in a Morris Minor. :Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I thought the bloke did the best he could, he was certainly responsible to publicising the issue and perhaps Fiat would not have even agreed to do the modifications if he had not persisted, What do you mean when you say you think he was on "team orders" as you put it?
He is a freelance journalist and contributes to MMM who don't want to upset their advertisers and subsequently lose revenue,if he wrote a detrimental article about the base vehicles reliability.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The pressure that Andy Stothert put on Fiat when Juddergate reared its head in turn helped many. Although he contributed much to the magazine it was nothing to do with his position that he got satisfaction. He badgered and badgered until he got his camper gearbox put right, I think it was removed on three different occasions. I was at a show at the NEC and the Fiat rep was denying that there was a problem at all, I ended up placing an order for a 3ltr. To me it's the best engine that's currently fitted others may differ, also coupled to the Comfort-matic gearbox is a dream to drive.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I have bought a x250 2.3 fully aware of the reports on judder, gave it a hell of a test, and indeed managed to get it to judder reversing up one heck of a slope.:Eeek: Has not given any symptoms under normal reversing use so I'm not bothered. Fantastic van to drive powerful quite and comfortable love it.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back