Scratch marks (1 Viewer)

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Hello,
Have a new i684 Burstner Aviano (colour silver) and took a trip to France recently but I have scratch marks on the side (not the cab) and was wondering is there anything out there to get rid of these. Scratches are not too bad but are noticeable enough in sunlight. I suppose I didnt take my time when passing some trees on a farm campsite but will know better in future!!!!! Appreciate all answers and thanks in anticipation:thumb:
decmac
PS: Someone said I should use a polish called Silky for caravans and boats but I am not sure about this

OP
OP
D

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Hi, very fine rubbing down compound will remove slight scratches. Just rub!

Regards

Peter

Thanks Peter,
Do you have a brand name for a rubbing down compound so i can look for a specific name in store.
Decmac:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hello,
Have a new i684 Burstner Aviano (colour silver) and took a trip to France recently but I have scratch marks on the side (not the cab) and was wondering is there anything out there to get rid of these. Scratches are not too bad but are noticeable enough in sunlight. I suppose I didnt take my time when passing some trees on a farm campsite but will know better in future!!!!! Appreciate all answers and thanks in anticipation:thumb:
decmac
PS: Someone said I should use a polish called Silky for caravans and boats but I am not sure about this

Silky is one such rubbing compound, use muslin cloth, available in roll form, as an applicator and burnisher. I have used it in the past when we had a caravan.

I have used Auto Glym motorhome polish, to very good effect, to remove scratches from our E760, after I did the same as you have done. It also works well on the windows,:thumb: circular application and light buffing, finishing with straight line buffs to polish.

Select the scratch which is out of your normal sight line for your experimental attempt, be petient and keep rubbing and changing the cloth.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Nomadic.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Assuming this is a painted RV, check to be sure it's not clear coated. If it is, be careful with the rubbing/buffing.

If it's gel coated fiberglass, with the colour in the gel coat, use a good polishing or rubbing compound which has an abrasive in a paste or liquid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Scratches

Hello,
decmac

Good morning Decmac,

The actual Auto Glym product I refered to in my last post is "Super Resin Polish"

Good advice about establishing what you are working on, your supplier should be able to help with that.

Nomadic

OP
OP
D

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Scratches

Thanks a million to all who replied about the scratches on my Aviano. The advice is very much appreciated and as we say - you learn something new every day.
Decmac:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Decmac
The trade product available at car paint suppliers is called Farecela G3,There is a finer one called G7 but thats only as good as T Cut
if used lightly will cause no permanent damage, avoid heavy pressure on application rag, can be used on paint, clear coat and fibre glass, followed by T Cut and then a good polish, in extreme cases a wet and dry 1200 grit sandpaper is used first (this can be dangerous in the wrong hands) used wet followed by the G3, T Cut, and polish
Geo

M

Mitch

Deleted User
G3

Geo is right.
G3 is the one to use.
Just done mine, followed by a qaulity wax.
Looks the business and no scratch's.

Mitch:Smile:

OP
OP
D

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Geo and Mitch - thanks. I have already bought a product called Silky which was recommended to me in a motor home accessories store but haven't used it yet. Would you say that the product G3 would be the same as Silky or better to use. I would have to travel a long way from my town to try and source G3 or would I possibly get it in my local motor factor store. Didn't realise there was a different type of body (e.g. paint, clear coat and fibreglass) - all look the same to me, but will have to check this out now with supplier of motorhome. Contact me again if you have any more advice on above. Thanks and all the best - Decmac:thumb:

Timbo57

Free Member
Oct 5, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo736
Exp
40+ years
I too have an Ixeo in silver. After a trip in the lake district we had a few tree foliage close shave incurring marks and scratches to the van. I have used Supaguard wipe away for years on my previous vans. I wouldn't use anything else. Safe on Windows paintwork etc.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
For all those Funsters who find themselves in France in the next few months, all the Supermarches sell a product about the size of a large toothpaste tube.

What you are looking for has the words "Efface Rayure" This is a scratch remover that is one step up from T-Cut. I have found it very effective for removing the less minor marks.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Point of order here surely!
They are not scratches, they are "Adventure Lines" which in a way is a better description, as it shows you are using the van. (y)
Hi Decmac I Hope having tried all the products listed thus far, you find the one that you are happy with, with successful results.(y)
Welcome to Fun by the way.
LES

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Decmac I Hope having tried all the products listed thus far, you find the one that you are happy with, with successful results.(y)
Welcome to Fun by the way.
LES

Bit late to be welcoming Decmac...... The thread is dated 26 July 2008. ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back