Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
indifferent?

Dispute saying we were not going to look at another van, we have been drawn towards a Dethleffs Globetrotter Premium 2002. It's huge compared to what we have now but does offer a spacious lounge area and a fixed bed.

I don't know this make or have even been in one. What's the general consensus on build quality and liveability? We need a van to go from the ski slopes of Europe to the heat of North North Africa and back to soggy England without freezing us, boiling us or getting us wet!

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Our first van was a 1992 Globetrotter with 150k on the clock (we didn't look at the mileage, and were convinced we'd made a huge mistake at the time, but on the plus side, we did get it cheap! :roflmto:)

In the end it was a fantastic motorhome, taking a family of five around France with no problems, and the habitation build quality was superb. When we started looking at a replacement as we needed a garage, we were surprised at how flimsy and shoddy many of the newer vans looked in comparison. As far as we know it's still in service with its new owners.

Generally we rate Dethleffs, and if their current build quality is like it was 22 years ago, it should be a very decent van.

Steve :Smile:

Oh, and being German it's probably very well insulated.

Last edited:

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are new to this but we got advice from someone who has done this for a few years.
Dethleffs was on their top 5 list!
We spent 3 months looking a all different qualities and you can see some van are engineered to last but they come at a price.
So far no problems everything does what it says on the box, they do like to solve problems that some might have, looked at one fixed bed moved up and down 12 inches at a push of a button (would crush items in garage).
One thing we noticed when took for spin in dealers car park not much rattling from inside fixtures.
They also tend to come fully loaded nothing much else needed.
Good luck
Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Well respected brand - part of the Hymer group. They make good quality vans and we looked at them before buying the MH we have.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Is it this one? Broken Link Removed

Yes that's the one. It looks huge compared to ours. Have opened negotiations so will have to see what we get for ours and what they will except. Of course we still have to see it in the flesh/steel/aluminium!

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Eeek!

Yes that's the one. It looks huge compared to ours. Have opened negotiations so will have to see what we get for ours and what they will except. Of course we still have to see it in the flesh/steel/aluminium!

I looked at the pics and was mighty impressed... it certainly seems a fine beast...... BUT....

.......was the design of the front end entrusted to a drunken, unemployed Judge Dredd illustrator??

If we ever travel anywhere in convey with you and Colin PLEASE let me be the vehicle at the back! I couldn't face looking at that front end in my rear view mirror!

Simon
:thumb:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
......but on the plus side, if you do get it, most of the time you'll be in it and unable to see the front end!! With a bit of careful parking you could even minimise the chance of seeing it on returning to or leaving it! :ROFLMAO:

All joking aside, I am of course a bit jealous cos everything else about it seems luvverly. :thumb:

Simon

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We have the globetrotter esprit, not the a class but love it and as others have said, great build quality.
One of the comfiest beds I have ever slept in.
Also kept us toasty warm in frosts and prety cool in north africa for the last month!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Looks a nice van:thumb:

It's the same layout as our old van but the lounge is slightly bigger I think.

Make sure you can live with the fixed bed and that the lounge is actually as spacious as you would want it to be if you were stuck in the van on a miserable day. That bed area can feel like an awful waste of space if you get cramped in the lounge.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our last van was a DethleffsA class. Absolutely fine, we only changed because we wanted a fixed bed and a bigger washroom.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Was it any good looks like it has a lot of space?

We haven't had chance to see it it yet, what with Colin working in Scotland during the week and working on the house and showing buyers around at the weekend.

I have sent pictures off of our van and the dealer was supposed to get back to me with a part exchange offer, must chase him up.

JEB

Free Member
Feb 9, 2013
UK -sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I`m a newbie
Dethleffs good or bad

I have had Dethleffs Globetrotter A class for several years. Must say been really impressed with quality of build .When we buy we all apply different values around the Price. But do we mean cost, specification, quality? Theres a whole lotta MH`sbeing bought out there.... are we all happy? Would i buy another Dethleffs A class? Definitely...but also consider Hymer, Adria, Pilot etc etc . Thought the Dethleffs you were considering looked good in the pics, loved the front myself...sort of eddie stobbart ??

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
Don't know if this helps but I was the second owner of this van and I've just sold a newer van almost identical I've also been to see this van the guy's looked after it he's had all the grey resprayed looks immaculate on the out side
Inside needs updating but for the price a lot of van the vans have what I call true double floor construction you will never fill all the storage any one who knows me will know I've tried I've had 11 motor homes and these premiums are up there with the best I've had only downside very poor payload but you can up grade to 5000 for very little cost hope this helps eddie

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Don't know if this helps but I was the second owner of this van and I've just sold a newer van almost identical I've also been to see this van the guy's looked after it he's had all the grey resprayed looks immaculate on the out side
Inside needs updating but for the price a lot of van the vans have what I call true double floor construction you will never fill all the storage any one who knows me will know I've tried I've had 11 motor homes and these premiums are up there with the best I've had only downside very poor payload but you can up grade to 5000 for very little cost hope this helps eddie

Thank you, that's great information. In fact really helpful stuff from everyone that's replied. I will chase up the dealer tomorrow, mind you still have no idea when we can go and see it.

peter125

Free Member
Nov 26, 2012
cardiff south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1982
Dethleffs

Hello got one love it ,same as the one on ebay, you'll love it to enjoyo:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello got one love it ,same as the one on ebay, you'll love it to enjoyo:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Guys, the advert does not say if the heating runs off gas and electric hook up, Peter does your have duel methods of heating and hot water? Eddie, can you remember if it does?

Also in the picture looking back at the fixed bed, there doesn't appear to be a door under the bed blocking off the garage, is this a sliding door and it's just been left open in the picture? The dealer has sent me over 50 pictures of the van, really good close ups of any defaults but I cannot make out a dividing door to the garage.

Thanks
Sandra

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
On that van runs just on gas my last one had diesel heating as well very well insulated van both fresh and grey in between the floors so should never freeze only other thing that van requires is the wheels re chroming when I had it the interior was a different colour my last van had a leather interior made all the difference
My opinion for a little money you will have a van that still turns heads 12 Years later they stopped making these premium
Model in 2005
Eddie

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
Sliding door that's been left open

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The Dethleff (but a smaller model) is on our "check out" list. Our old Hymer (same stable I understand) took us thousands of miles round Europe with no problems at all except for a blown tyre - even then the tyre went "pop" in a car park near the Michelin plant so was quick, easy and relatively cheap to replace.

When we sold our van we got almost as much for it as we paid for it and these highly regarded vehicles do keep their price - not that resale value has ever been a consideration for us when buying a van although it may be for you.

A Hymer / Dethleff "expert" recently told us that the old big vans had a much better build quality than the newer vans. They certainly feel solid when you are inside. Our Hymer had been up-plated so that might be something you need to look at especially if you'll have a full load of people. We also found that the MPG was a bit :shout: but then it was a 3 litre petrol Merc engine so 20mpg was about as good as we ever got.

If we were looking for another "bus" Hymer / Dethleff would probably be top of the list.

It looks like a lovely van and even if the interior needs a bit of an update that can be done as and when you need and funds allow.

Last edited:

peter125

Free Member
Nov 26, 2012
cardiff south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1982
dethlefs

Hello again sorry 4 delay,diesel heater front,gas blown air and water rear, sliding door underbed to large garage,ours leather interior, model 17674, Dethleffs owners club are very helpful, hope the info helps.
Regards Peter :thumb::thumb::thumb:

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
i was interested in that wagon until Julian said he wanted a 10% deposit just to view it.
basically a high pressure selling technique in the hope you won't back out if you have £2500 already tied up in it and weakens your negotiating position.
my initial reaction was to tell him to do what a captains chair does but i realise he's ony trying to maximise his profits (which is why i bought private in the end)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back