Help, Motorhome will not start (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Sorted out the issues with the solar and the habitation battery last week but still having problems starting the motorhome.

We have a 2004 Eura Mobil on a Fiat 2.8 JTD engine.

Tried to jumpstart from both a Clark 4000 and the family car but would not turn over. The Cab battery is less than 3 months old and shows 13.9V going through it.

Any suggestions gratefully received, I had expected a fully charged clarke jump-started to have done the trick.

Looking at other pictures on this forum there appears to be some fuses especially for the battery we just have the pos/neg leads so I am assuming they might be elsewhere.

I checked with the alarm installer and do not think there is a problem with the engine immobiliser.

Guy:Sad:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You say it would not turn over, even with the booster and the car battery? Is the engine actually turning over as you try and start it or are there any clicks when you turn the key? Do all the dash lights comer on and do they dim as you turn the key? If none of these happen, I would be looking at the immobiliser.
Allan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Al\n, what's a distributor? Not saying it is that .. just trying to think of all the words thrown around me when I first had the problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Sounds like immobilizer or starter motor/solenoid/exiterwire.
Does the padlock symbol on the dash go out OK?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i suspect you have a bad earth strap, which is a common problem. the engine earth strap is underneath and gets road dirt and muck on it. this rots the copper and gives the symptoms you describe. ie fully charged but engine wont turn over properly

to prove it and rule out the starter motor, connect a jump lead from the van battery negative to a clean part on the engine block. if it works fit a new earth strap. if not you need to remove and test the starter motor and ensure the electrics are all functioning

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Al\n, what's a distributor? Not saying it is that .. just trying to think of all the words thrown around me when I first had the problem.
a distributor is a mechanical device that supplies power to each spark plug in turn on an older style petrol engine. modern engines have electronic ignition and diesel engines have a pump system

the engine in most uk and eu vans is a diesel so doesnt have a distributor

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i suspect you have a bad earth strap, which is a common problem. the engine earth strap is underneath and gets road dirt and muck on it. this rots the copper and gives the symptoms you describe. ie fully charged but engine wont turn over properly

to prove it and rule out the starter motor, connect a jump lead from the van battery negative to a clean part on the engine block. if it works fit a new earth strap. if not you need to remove and test the starter motor and ensure the electrics are all functioning

beat me to it. :RollEyes:

Before removing the starter to check it try giving it a firm tap a couple of times with a hammer or use a steel bar....... pool cue fashion....if you cant get a hammer in..

Starter brushs could be sticking or a dirty comutator and a good tap should free them.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
lots to try out. Thank you.

@Allanm we get a number of clicks and the sounds of trying to turn over, all the lights on the dashboard appear to be working fine.

@jay yes no warning lights show

@Thebig1 Thanks will try that

@Pappajohn sorry to be so clueless but I do not know what the starter looks like, can someone explain

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sounds like immobilizer [HI]or starter motor/solenoid/exiterwire.[/HI]Does the padlock symbol on the dash go out OK?

TheBig1;931623[HI said:
]i suspect you have a bad earth strap[/HI], which is a common problem. the engine earth strap is underneath and gets road dirt and muck on it. this rots the copper and gives the symptoms you describe. ie fully charged but engine wont turn over properly

From past experience, sound advice there,

Pappajohn, The big 1, on Ducato's isn't the Immobiliser on the Fuel Pump??? Seem to remember a Recovery Fella telling me that, BUT at 74 , hey ho could be mistaken:Doh:

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
The best advice that you can take is ring a mechanic before you do some damage to either yourself or your motorhome:RollEyes:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
You are not too far from us if you want we can pop over and take a look with you - cant do it till Saturday though?

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
You are not too far from us if you want we can pop over and take a look with you - cant do it till Saturday though?

Thanks for the offer, she is parked up in Staplehurst, Kent so a bit of a trek from here but i do appreciate the offer of assistance.

Will try the couple of suggestions above and if that doesnt work get the RAC out to have a look.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
[HI][HI]Al\n, what's a distributor[/HI][/HI]? Not saying it is that .. just trying to think of all the words thrown around me when I first had the problem.

Come off it Joy !! :Doh: I am sure that even with your tender years you can remember how to disable the car by removing the rotor arm !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
OK. before you get to carried away make sure the jumper leads and battery are up to the job!
Cheap shoelace type of jump leads are a waste of time.
Trying to jump start a diesel engine in this cold weather every thing needs to be 100% and be careful when using leads its easy to spike ecu
HTH
Tony

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for all the help and advice. And the winner is.....

Not earthing properly, all sorted and now starts just fine.

Excellent news! It's always a relief when it turns out not to be anything expensive.

Wyn

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Not earthing properly, all sorted and now starts just fine.

Brilliant! Glad it wasn't too difficult. If that hadn't worked I would have called the RAC as that is why you pay their fees every year after all.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

[HI]Not earthing properly[/HI], all sorted and now starts just fine.

Was it the actual earth strap? Loose or corroded ? or battery connection or ???

Glad it's sorted. :thumb:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Well done that man :Smile::Smile:

The Broken Link Removed is first on my list to PM if I get starting problems :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back