No 'Pink' for the Loo, What do you do? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

Yet another question from someone who has just joined the ranks from tugging.

Our 'van (Hobby 650) does not have a dedicated reservoir of water for flushing the toilet. The water for such purpose comes from a main clean water tank (Don't know if this is 'the norm' or not.)
SWMBO is anxious to avoid our experiences in the hire 'van we used borrowed to purchase where, because there had been no sanitizer used in the flushing water, the toilet overall smelled somewhat.:Eeek:

Question; What do all do to ensure the sweetest of smells from around the bowl of the toilet.
I would add that we do have a decades worth of 'Pink' at our disposal.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Our m/h thetford flush is also supplied directly from the fresh water tank .... we use no chemicals at all in the flush or the cassette but do have a SOG fitted and this has worked great for us for years.

P.S. we do keep a spray bottle with some "pink" mixed up and just spray the bowl now and again.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The pink stuff isn't needed but keeping the bowl and cassette clean is.

After we had tried various "proper" liquids we were then told how effective supermarket own brand bio washing liquid was and started using that. The different liquids result in a different colour to the cassette contents when it is emptied but, otherwise, we have found the bio washing liquid to be just as effective and much cheaper.

On returning home after each trip I empty the cassette (luckily we have a second toilet downstairs), give it a thorough rinse out with cold water a couple of times and recharge it ready for our next trip (which is hopefully only a week or two later). A couple of times a year or more I remove the seal so that I can more easily gain access to give the mechanism a better clean with toilet wipes, then lubricate the seal with olive oil and replace it. I then half fill the cassette with a solution of bio washing liquid in hot water and give it a good shake (but not violent enough to dislodge any of the internal workings) before emptying and then rinsing with cold water a couple of times before recharging it.

The bowl/pedestal is cleaned using toilet wipes (e.g. Parazone, Mr Muscle) after every trip and as often as deemed necessary during trips.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Greetings,

Question; What do all do to ensure the sweetest of smells from around the bowl of the toilet.

Ours is fed by water from main tank as well ::bigsmile:
So,every couple of days or so we spray with Thetford bathroom cleaner and,then,with those things on the end of our arms,kneeling in front of bowl,we clean it :thumb:

Mike

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Ours, like most others, is fed water directly from the fresh tank. Also like many others, we have fitted a SOG and use no chemicals or additives at all.
Have a look - it's a simple but great piece of kit
Link Removed

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Greetings,

Yet another question from someone who has just joined the ranks from tugging.

Our 'van (Hobby 650) does not have a dedicated reservoir of water for flushing the toilet. The water for such purpose comes from a main clean water tank (Don't know if this is 'the norm' or not.)
SWMBO is anxious to avoid our experiences in the hire 'van we used borrowed to purchase where, because there had been no sanitizer used in the flushing water, the toilet overall smelled somewhat.:Eeek:

Being as you have plenty of it , couldn't you just put some around the bowl every now and then when you flush, otherwise do as others do and don't
bother::bigsmile:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We just put some pink in an old spray bottle and give the toilet bowl a spray round to keep it smelling fresh. :Smile:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

my misses says her sh-t dont stink [ it,s mine]:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you really do need the fragrance then simply dilute the pink stuff with an appropriate amount of water then pour into a spray trigger bottle.

Flush then spray.

Though i would suggest its not the lack of pink causing the smell....its the actual cassette, or the way its used.

If you open the slide BEFORE doing the job then smells will come up from the tank.

Leave the blade closed, pump in a goodly amount of water, do what needs to be done then open the blade....it should also elliminate, or greatly reduce, skidmarks on the bowl sides as well

You dont empty the bowl in your house toilet before use so why use it dry in the motorhome ?

We never used pink and never had odours

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I think it depends on your MO. If you open the paddle before use and deploy your paper the bowl shouldn't retain much niff. However, you do need a neutraliser, liquid or SOG, in the cassette with this method. If you catch all and operate paddle after there's more chance of a pong from the bowl.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Ours only flushes from the tank but we never use it, as by experience it is ineffective. We use washing powder usually from Lidl rather than the usual chemicals, after emptying we put a powder scoop of the powder in the bowl then a bit of water from the flush. Scrub round with the dedicated brush to completely clean the bowl then a little bit more water to rinse then open the shutter.
Then fill a cheap spray bottle with dilute cheap disinfectant or in your case as you have loads of pink use that. Then after every use, a quick spray with the nozzle set to jet is most effective and uses a fraction of the water so the cassette will last longer between fills.
We also have a home made "SOG" system which works very well and cost about a fiver, (actually better than the original) but don't believe their claims, it does not encourage biological action because the fan only runs when the shutter is open, all it does is remove the smells produced and is not good for the plastic to have that amount of ammonia stored without some form of neutralising agent, either the blue which suppresses biological action or the washing powder which encourages it, and the washing powder costs pennies. Plus by using the washing powder it is very much more pleasant for the person doing the emptying and for the people parked next door as they get what the SOG evacuates, which is never completely removed by the carbon filter. (I had better duck now because SOG owners after paying so much for a small computer fan, often get upset)

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loo

My loo is flushed from the fresh tank. It's never been a bother, but we have a small sprayer with water and a cap of Dettol in it.

Russell

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have the same 'problem', so have a spray bottle with some mild detergent in (we don't haven't any pink stuff) so use that to freshen the bowl every now and then. Each night hubby uses a wet-wipe to give his feet a freshen-up before bed so uses that to give the toilet seat and inside of the lid a rub down as it can get a bit pongy otherwise as, how can it put this .... er ... erm .... when a 'man' uses a toilet there will always be some 'vapour spray'!!! ::bigsmile:

Also, when cleaning your toilet after a long trip, it is a good idea to totally remove the seat/lid from the base unit to clean as it really does get very dirty - despite our cleaning regime, as you cannot avoid some of the 'liquid' getting underneath. We found this out as we simply could not get rid of the stale urine smell, despite the toilet being spick and span, or so we thought, I removed the seat/lid and it was very yukky! :Doh:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Ours, like most others, is fed water directly from the fresh tank. Also like many others, we have fitted a SOG and use no chemicals or additives at all.
Have a look - it's a simple but great piece of kit
Link Removed
I watched the video but still can't work out what it does ? :Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We have the same 'problem', so have a spray bottle with some mild detergent in (we don't haven't any pink stuff) so use that to freshen the bowl every now and then. Each night hubby uses a wet-wipe to give his feet a freshen-up before bed so uses that to give the toilet seat and inside of the lid a rub down as it can get a bit pongy otherwise as, how can it put this .... er ... erm .... when a 'man' uses a toilet there will always be some 'vapour spray'!!! ::bigsmile:

Also, when cleaning your toilet after a long trip, it is a good idea to totally remove the seat/lid from the base unit to clean as it really does get very dirty - despite our cleaning regime, as you cannot avoid some of the 'liquid' getting underneath. We found this out as we simply could not get rid of the stale urine smell, despite the toilet being spick and span, or so we thought, I removed the seat/lid and it was very yukky! :Doh:
the solution to that is to train him to aim straight or sit down. personally i dont suffer from the problem but have to make sure my equipment is dried and safely stowed away before closing the shutter to avoid accidental circumcision :ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I watched the video but still can't work out what it does ? :Doh:
the sog system is simply a computer fan that sucks the smelly gases out of the cassette and blows them out the side of the van. not nice for the neighbours, especially if they are sat outside eating or drinking whilst you take a dump

most people with sog units think their shit dont stink because the smell gets extracted. they never consider that those outside get the full benefit of the odour. i realise its suposed to be filtered by a piece of carbon foam, but it barely works when new and few replace the filter

in my opinion, a sog fitted t a toilet is as antisocial as a dripping pipe from a black waste tank

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
the sog system is simply a computer fan that sucks the smelly gases out of the cassette and blows them out the side of the van. not nice for the neighbours, especially if they are sat outside eating or drinking whilst you take a dump

most people with sog units think their shit dont stink because the smell gets extracted. they never consider that those outside get the full benefit of the odour. i realise its suposed to be filtered by a piece of carbon foam, but it barely works when new and few replace the filter

in my opinion, a sog fitted t a toilet is as antisocial as a dripping pipe from a black waste tank
Ya may as well have a shit in their garden :roflmto:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Ours is flushed straight from the fresh water tank, and as long as you shut the flap after you've dumped, empty it every day, best in the morning AFTER "unloading!!!" you should be free of any smell permiating!!

If you can't take the "unperfumed" event inside, there is always:Sad:the

"Man with Shovel" option!:RollEyes:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Doesn't anyone else do the "Cross of Paper in the Bowl First" to catch the lumps and prevent them dirtying the bowl? An experienced caravaner taught me that one when I started caravaning 20 odd years ago.

I stopped using the pink/green/blue flush additive years ago because it made black bits in the flush water tank. My loo doesn't smell any worse without it. Current van feeds straight from the fresh water tank anyway.

Pledge (other furniture sprays are available) polishes the bowl up well and stops things sticking. ::bigsmile:

Have just started to use bio washing liquid instead of the Blue Stuff as so many on here recommend it - but it makes an awful lot of bubbles in the CD when it's emptied! :Eeek:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I am so sorry.....

I know this has been done before but I couldn't resist -

I AM A HAPPY BOWL USER AND PROUD!

Never mind worrying about your pink stuff, where to keep the loo brush, yukky seals, or making pretty patterns with your loo paper, or not pretty patterns with what it is you are trying to flush down. What you need is a HAPPY BOWL ::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i must of eaten something that disagreed with my tum yesterday, as a result today i have the squits. :Eeek: dont know about happy bowl but whilst sat meditating on the loo I sharted.....more a crappy bowl. bet your fancy bog roll in a cone shape wont deal with that sort of download :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
i must of eaten something that disagreed with my tum yesterday, as a result today i have the squits. :Eeek: dont know about happy bowl but whilst sat meditating on the loo I sharted.....more a crappy bowl. bet your fancy bog roll in a cone shape wont deal with that sort of download :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Eww:Eeek: you really didn't need to share quite so much information with us did you. :whatthe:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]Doesn't anyone else do the "Cross of Paper in the Bowl First" to catch the lumps and prevent them dirtying the bowl? An experienced caravaner taught me that one when I started caravaning 20 odd years ago.[/HI]

I stopped using the pink/green/blue flush additive years ago because it made black bits in the flush water tank. My loo doesn't smell any worse without it. Current van feeds straight from the fresh water tank anyway.

Pledge (other furniture sprays are available) polishes the bowl up well and stops things sticking. ::bigsmile:

Have just started to use bio washing liquid instead of the Blue Stuff as so many on here recommend it - but it makes an awful lot of bubbles in the CD when it's emptied! :Eeek:
Tried that after reading about it and found that it just parceled up the deposits and delayed decomposition.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Bet it's still not as bad as dealing with some babies' nappies :ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
as a keen cyclist you may be able to associate with this little story

when i was a teenager i used to race cycles competitively and in those days bikes were heavy and hard work by comparison.... anyway on one endurance race a guy ahead of the pack had a poorly tum and when he strained to accelerate up a hill, he lost the content of his bowels, partly through his shorts and down onto his wheel and gearset. god i can remember the smell and what he looked like at the side of the road years later. that amongst other things put me off racing in the end. i sometimes wonder how he got home that day. remember mobile phones were far fetched science fiction back then

sorry to digress from the thread, but no amount of pink in the flush can cope with some incidents in the bathroom. knowing how to clean up the loo and avoid lingering smells is the more important info. pink or disinfectant in a spray bottle helps, but polishing the inner surface stops things sticking

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back