LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Read so many of your posts on mice in your motorhomes and always felt quite relaxed that I have never had this problem..... ah, poor little mites must know that I would never hurt them so stay away out of kindness........ HUH. Just been up to my van to sort it for driving away tomorrow and aaaaaaaaaagh.... mice droppings in the empty fridge, all over my bed where I had stupidly left a doggy chew in a wrapper, and all over my clean towels in the shower unit...:whatthe::whatthe::cry::cry: Going back up there now with two bottles of bleach and a big bottle of Dettol...... Hmmmph.:Angry:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Read so many of your posts on mice in your motorhomes and always felt quite relaxed that I have never had this problem..... ah, poor little mites must know that I would never hurt them so stay away out of kindness........ HUH. Just been up to my van to sort it for driving away tomorrow and aaaaaaaaaagh.... mice droppings in the empty fridge, all over my bed where I had stupidly left a doggy chew in a wrapper, and all over my clean towels in the shower unit...:whatthe::whatthe::cry::cry: Going back up there now with two bottles of bleach and a big bottle of Dettol...... Hmmmph.:Angry:

And a lump of 4X2 to belt em with :RollEyes::winky:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Do ya wanna borrow our mouse traps as well? Stop 'em now:thumb:

Margaret

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Not a good day then really
shaking-head-sad-smiley-emoticon.gif

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
It's ok to have a snack in bed but i think a doggy chew would not be my taste.

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
Hmm, we learned our lesson last week::Doh:

IMG_0078_zpsb8588ced.jpg

IMG_0077_zpsc5fe52fb.jpg

Liz is busy making new curtains as I type. (And I've had four of the little b***ers since last week):Angry:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
You need to get rid of the mice pronto (there is rarely one on it's own).
If they get at your elecrics & wiring it can be a nightmare.
Just a thought, have you got problems with electrics?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Don't know how long your van has been parked up, but it might be worth checking that everything works ok before you set off.

The little b*gg*rs will chew through anything including your wiring.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Get a cat:Smile: but then cat sh_t is the worse thing ever.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Funnily enough, since I am only worried about mice when I am NOT in the van .... I don't think they would try jumping in the van when I am going at 70mph down the M6 ...... I wondered whether asking my friend for some cat poo out of her cat's litter tray and leaving it on tissue around the motorhome...... I know it sounds a little eccentric but I could change it regularly.

Do you think that would work?:Sad:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Joy:Smile:

They would probably eat it:Smile:

This is going to be a very difficult one for you.

I know you couldn't set a trap that kills them and I don't think think the humane traps work, well they didn't for me:Smile:

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Two months ago picked up the van to find lots of mice droppings. Set a trap and caught one that night. Set two traps and caught two the following night! Have now set four traps baited with chocolate . Also have a sonic sod off device set. So far have caught six mice this winter, what a pain. And there is absolutely no food or bedding in the MH.!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Funnily enough, since I am only worried about mice when I am NOT in the van .... I don't think they would try jumping in the van when I am going at 70mph down the M6 ...... I wondered whether asking my friend for some cat poo out of her cat's litter tray and leaving it on tissue around the motorhome...... I know it sounds a little eccentric but I could change it regularly.

Do you think that would work?:Sad:

They will still be in there somewhere. Having found a nice warm dry place to live they are not going to go quietly. Unfortunately a favourite place with mice is behind the dash as it's offten the warmest place in a 'van that's parked up.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Jay, If I put those sonic noise thingies in the van, would that still get rid of them if they behind the dash? Or would putting the radio on for half an hour a day get rid of them because they don't like noise apparently.... I am willing to try anything.... I'm not frightened of mice, (until they run fast towards me), but don't like the disease aspect... and the destruction. :Sad:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
I doubt it, & turning the radio on will only make their new accommodation even more attractive. More importantly you need to know where they got in otherwise there could be more moving in soon.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Jay, If I put those sonic noise thingies in the van, would that still get rid of them if they behind the dash? Or would putting the radio on for half an hour a day get rid of them because they don't like noise apparently.... I am willing to try anything.... I'm not frightened of mice, (until they run fast towards me), but don't like the disease aspect... and the destruction. :Sad:

Kill first,deter later I think is the best way.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
/crumbs....:Sad: is there a quick and logical way to find where they came in? I checked all the skylights. I checked the cupboard UNDER the fridge (someone on here once posted theirs had gained entry through that). I looked at the doors and there was no way they had come in through there. I washed out the toilet cassette just in case, (someone posted that some mice had made a nest in theirs). I put something heavy over the shower plug so they couldn't come up there and push it up. The waste water plug and fresh water plug were still in place so they hadn't crawled up them.

BUT what I did do was last week the cover was left off the van battery which is situated on the floor between the two front seats of the van ... knowing that access to the battery would be needed again quickly and it is a pain to get the cover off. Is there access from outside to the holding unit of the van battery, please?

Sorry, seem to be asking loads of questions lately..:Sad:

PS. The mice have only appeared since yesterday so will act quickly. Thank you.

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
/crumbs....:Sad: Is there access from outside to the holding unit of the van battery, please?

Sorry, seem to be asking loads of questions lately..:Sad:

Quite possibly, can't say without seeing it, but they are likely to have got in somewhere quite low down. Common entry points are the drop vents under cupboards, beds etc.also any blown air pipes that run under the van. Have you checked under the bonnet to see if they have been under there? Does it still start & does everything work as it did before you discovered the mice?
Don't forget, my offer still stands.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Put the radio on and play DesOConnor, that will make em scarper :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Worth buying a couple of bait boxes to place under the motor home to prevent any more coming in.

I had a problem with mice last year, so this winter I put out a couple of bait boxes under the RV , the amount of bait they ate was amazing but they never reached the inside before we came away.:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyRwsbnIF5I"]NEW! - What's The Best Live Mouse Trap? - YouTube[/ame]

this would be my choice something like this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5aMVIwJQ6k"]Victor Multikill - Electronic Mouse Trap in Action - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years

I know you couldn't set a trap that kills them and I don't think think the humane traps work, well they didn't for me:Smile:

We used the humane traps from B&Q. Put some bread with a spot of honey in it. Had the little fella within the hour, released him a few miles away, very cute. Tho so much damage when they get started. A family ate a chunk out of my bodyboard stored up our static van !!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Maybe try putting some talcum on the floor then watch to see if there's any wee prints and from which direction they are coming from. It might help to pinpoint the area. Hope you get rid of quickly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back