Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Currently on site where we have to pay for WiFi but on the edge of town (using some poor sods O2 connection who forgot to password protect it) but as with BT would like a booster that could pick up free WiFi (fon) any soggestions ?? Have seen boosters from China forv£20 or MH boosters for £200 UK usage only at the moment

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
We have one of these Broken Link Removed ours is the Omni directional one, picks up loads and dead easy to use

You might also like the iboost system this creates a wifi hotspot in your van enabeling you to use more than one item at a time or items that don't have usb ports

Last edited:

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I had the same problem could not get wifi and the site wifi is normally pretty rubbish so I bought a 3 mifi with 15gb a month allowance for £21.10 but it is a 2 year contract.
I get pretty good internet most places I stay, wildcamping or on site.
I have done speed tests on the mifi and regularly get over 10mb speed. Perfect for streaming video.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2566

They give you a huawei mifi router so you can use upto 5 wifi devices, phones laptops tablets etc. The router can be unlocked easily too so if your touring in Europe you can use French Spanish or German sims to still access the internet.

However you could try an internet booster to get BT Fon.

I bought this one early last year. Its directional so you need to point it in a direction to get a good signal. It works brilliantly and again I regularly get speeds of over 10mb When I don't have it plugged in to a usb port I usually get 2 or 3 signals with the wifi card in the laptop, but when I have the booster plugged in I can get as many as 20 new signals and it boosts the ones that are nearby.
Apparently other users have even managed to get signals from McDonalds or Coffee shops nearly half a mile away
I normally have it stuck on the side of my van with the usb cable attached to the laptop.

Check out the link
Broken Link Removed

There are omni directional boosters check the link

Broken Link Removed

BT also have an android app called smart talk so you can use your home phone network to make calls even in other countries. Check it out.

I use internet all the time and if one of these things doesn't pick up a signal the other will.
Hope this helps in some way.

Happy travels

Gary :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just a quick point if you are using someone's connection without permission you are breaking the law and could be prosecuted for it.
There have only been a few prosecutions but they have happened.

Also its not very nice as you may be running up a huge bill for them.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I am currently testing Jim's one from his shop along with the wifi repeater. I will blog it when skiing on its simplicity and how good it is.

At the present time I'm having awful trouble setting it up. The Ariel works fine and picks up things right accross my village when USBd in to the laptop. However using the repeater for the iPad etc is proving a little more difficult at present so I'm having another go today. When done I hope to give an idiots guide to usage....and trust me it will be an idiots guide :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
What you are doing taking un authorised signal from this other guy is not right or clever :Angry::Doh:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I am currently testing Jim's one from his shop along with the wifi repeater. I will blog it when skiing on its simplicity and how good it is.

At the present time I'm having awful trouble setting it up. The Ariel works fine and picks up things right accross my village when USBd in to the laptop. However using the repeater for the iPad etc is proving a little more difficult at present so I'm having another go today. When done I hope to give an idiots guide to usage....[HI]and trust me it will be an idiots guide[/HI] :thumb:

well done but what else could it be paul :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Just a quick point if you are using someone's connection without permission you are breaking the law and could be prosecuted for it.
There have only been a few prosecutions but they have happened.

Also its not very nice as you may be running up a huge bill for them.

if this person isn't clever enough to protect his net then its his fault it take a few seconds to password protect his connection so sod him :Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
if this person isn't clever enough to protect his net then its his fault it take a few seconds to password protect his connection so sod him :Smile:

On that principle , if I don't lock up my easy chairs and tables on my pitch you may take them when my back is turned :Eeek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Worrying when those around you cannot be trusted, a shame if that's an example of today's society:Sad:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
you forget some ppl on here have no idea what humor is people forget the name of the site is called fun :roflmto:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
So I am a grumpy old bugger :Sad: but I wouldn't take what is not mine :Cool:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
ok but we only have your word for that as including you being a grumpy bugger :Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
theft of somebody elses data allowance is as bad as hooking into their electric supply, but more expensive. i cant see why anyone normally law abiding cant see this.... theft is theft and its wrong on many levels

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
why is it some people insist in taking the fun out of fun take it for what it is a bloody laff

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Behave you lot or you wont get the review I promised :winky:

Jees it's as tough cookie this thingy....

Ive spent most of the afternoon with it now....

I will fix it though, I will

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Behave you lot or you wont get the review I promised :winky:

Good we are back to the thread :thumb:::bigsmile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp

what the problem with it paul

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

the post you just made says it all already..... might be good but a pain in the arse to set up, if you ever can

think i will be saving my cash and not buying one based on the difficulty setting up:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
the post you just made says it all already..... might be good but a pain in the arse to set up, if you ever can

think i will be saving my cash and not buying one based on the difficulty setting up:thumb:

I would hold on a moment.

Remember I am an idiot

When reading the instructions it's simple,

But for some reason my ipad etc keeps defaulting back to the wifi I'm trying to connect to. The Ariel itself is amazing picks up things from miles away,:thumb::thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I would hold on a moment.

Remember I am an idiot

When reading the instructions it's simple,

But for some reason my ipad etc keeps defaulting back to the wifi I'm trying to connect to. The Ariel itself is amazing picks up things from miles away,:thumb::thumb:

Paul , have you got a laptop?

When I was setting up my I Boost my I pad had a mind of its own so used my laptop and problem solved.
Dunno why :Doh:

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Bought an omni booster with WiFi router at the secc today but it seems that I have log into the IP address every time I want to find WiFi signals
Found quite a few but unfortunately no BT for or free ones
Not sure I'm overly happy with it

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
France, Midi pyrenees
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
I have the uk Motorhomewifi booster, am in Spain at moment, i have the directional Antenna with the I Booster.

It is first class, where i got no signal before setting the Booster up, after setting unit up excellent signal & to set up, also with the I booster being able to use more than 1 tablet/laptop/phone, Apple or other make.

We Been to the Marjal site recently inland from Alicante, where on such a large site the signal is weak on the edges, there they hire the same type of unit out for use on site.

But on another site near to Mazarron they have on their wifi computer some form of sensor that picks up if you are using more than one laptop/ Tablet & your password trips out, which means a trip to office to ask for it to be reset, or buy another ticket for 2nd tablet.

But as i say we are very pleased with our Directional Antenna & I Booster

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have the uk Motorhomewifi booster, am in Spain at moment, i have the directional Antenna with the I Booster.

It is first class, where i got no signal before setting the Booster up, after setting unit up excellent signal & to set up, also with the I booster being able to use more than 1 tablet/laptop/phone, Apple or other make.

We Been to the Marjal site recently inland from Alicante, where on such a large site the signal is weak on the edges, there they hire the same type of unit out for use on site.

But on another site near to Mazarron they have on their wifi computer some form of sensor that picks up if you are using more than one laptop/ Tablet & your password trips out, which means a trip to office to ask for it to be reset, or buy another ticket for 2nd tablet.

But as i say we are very pleased with our Directional Antenna & I Booster

I am using the same kit, excellent. On a site at Tarifa recently using the I Boost I was able to watch UK TV on Filmon without a break :thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i have had the iboost for around 2 years now and its a great piece of kit :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back