Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all

Well it's now looking good for our second trip to Spain for a couple of months leaving early March. We went down last year through France to Narbonne and then followed the coast south into Spain. We returned through the Pyrenees and the Viela Tunnel which was a wonderful experience.

Would the Viela be a sensible route in early March? I'm thinking it might not be. What other options are viable in early March for crossing the Pyrennes?

Cheers Dave and Ginny

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
depends where in spain u r off to really
but you can try the route that takes you around bordeaux and then down to zaragoza its a good route but there are tolls after bordeaux but shouldnt be to costly

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
depends where in spain u r off to really
but you can try the route that takes you around bordeaux and then down to zaragoza its a good route but there are tolls after bordeaux but shouldnt be to costly

Thanks Bill and Linda...we're probably looking at hitting the coast somewhere between Barcelona and Valencia. Is that the E7 road then that you refer to? Pau to Huesca?

I'm just trying to get a general feel for the best route. The Vielha was great in May but I would not fancy the roads on either the French or Spanish side during winter. Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have a house in Javea and travel twice a year. Have tried all the routes and the one I stick to is via Bordeaux, Zaragoza, Valencia. Never had a problem at on any winter trips, the Spanish are much better at snow clearance than we are!

On the French leg you can go motorway all the way to the Spanish border, or use the N roads after Rouen, via Chartres, Evreux, Angouleme, etc. takes a bit longer but if time is not a consideration makes sense.

Mike

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I have a house in Javea and travel twice a year. Have tried all the routes and the one I stick to is via Bordeaux, Zaragoza, Valencia. Never had a problem at on any winter trips, the Spanish are much better at snow clearance than we are!

On the French leg you can go motorway all the way to the Spanish border, or use the N roads after Rouen, via Chartres, Evreux, Angouleme, etc. takes a bit longer but if time is not a consideration makes sense.

Mike

Thanks Mike, this is the route that I was hoping might be possible and looks the most direct. The link will be studied as well. Last year we used mostly non-toll routes but realised this was not always the best option. I'm sure your link will help in finding a good balance of both toll and non toll.

Dave

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Spain

The route we use mainly avoiding tolls and heading for the Valencia area is basically the N10 in France crossing into Spain south of Bayonne.
Calais - Rouen - Chartres - Tours - Bordeaux - Bayonne - Irun - Zaragoza - Valencia.
I would recommend using the toll road around Bayonne to the Spanish border as the Bidart - Saint Jean Du Luz road can be very congested and extremely slow.
There are substantial stretches of Motorway and Dual Carriage Way on this route and some reasonable Aires for night stops.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks for those Michelin routes...spot on!

Dave and Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back