Special offer for FairFX pre-load card! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just signed up for a FairFX Euro pre-load card as they've got a special rate on at the moment - load it with £500 or more and you get:

• a discount of £8 (so for £500 worth of Euros you'd only pay £492!)
  • a free card (normally costs £9.95 if you load it with less than £500)
Once I'd bought it, got an email with a link showing another offer if you want to put less than £500 on it:

Your Personal Refer-A-Friend Voucher code

As a valued FairFX customer we’d like to thank you for your loyalty by offering you a £5 voucher for every friend or family member that you refer to us to sign up for their first FairFX Prepaid Currency Card.

We'll also waive the normal account opening fee of £9.95 [subject to a minimum load of £50, €60 or $75] for all of your referrals - simply share your voucher code or referrer link (below) with your friends, family members and colleagues and we’ll do the rest!

So:

if you want to put LESS THAN £500 on the card use the link below and the £9.95 card cost will be waived.

https://www.fairfx.com/ref/jdlse

if you want to put £500 or MORE on the card, use the MSE link below and use the FairFX link from there and you'll get the card free and an £8* discount too (*the MSE site says £10 discount but it has obviously been reduced).

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-cards#overseas

To be totally transparent about this, if you use the first link (ie put less than £500 on) it means I'd also get a £5 bonus for every referral, but that's not my intention here ... I originally was just going to mention the '£8 discount' one in case anyone is interested in the £500+ deal as until I'd done it myself I wasn't aware of the other 'referral' reward until the email popped in my inbox! :thumb:

PS: I forgot to mention that you get a better exchange rate on this card than the Caxton card.

PPS: Another thought! I got a card (putting £500 on) and referred hubby who got a second card as we wanted to have 2 (putting £60 on) so it means we've actually got 2 cards without having to pay for a second one, as you would with Caxton!

PPPS: Yet another thought! If you DO use my referral link and complete a transaction please let me know so I can thank you!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't quite follow this. I have just got a Caxton card and there are no joining fees, and you can have as little as £10 load. Caxton exchange rate 1.176 as opposed to the 'actual' exchange rate of 1.205.

So there charge works out at 2.4% Fairfx is currently a bit better by about 0.5C per € though so around 2%.
Trouble is that Fairfx is effectively a sterling card and is only converted to Euros at the point of sale. The advantage of Caxton is that the exchange rate is applied when you load the card, so a possible advantage to be had of loading when the exchange rate is good, like now.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Doesn't Fairfx charge for each cash withdrawal or purchase whereas Caxton doesn't?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Doesn't Fairfx charge for each cash withdrawal or purchase whereas Caxton doesn't?

Yes £1.50 a time, as I said before we have a Mytravelcash card not saying it's the best or anything , but you get no charges whatsoever either here or in Europe and they are in fact doing the same offer as fairfx, not as good exchange rate though but you do get 1% back on all your purchases every month! genuine! I have had it.
And never had it refused anywhere.
Don't think there's much between them in the end bot I do think they are very useful in not having to carry a lot of cash and if it does get stolen you only stand to lose what's in it, and don't have all the hassle having to change all your bank details if you get your bank card stolen.::bigsmile:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I have used a fairfx card for a couple of years now and you put your sterling on and it is instantly converted into the currency you require at the rate on that day.i think they do have small charge to draw from a cash machine only. I find them very good.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't quite follow this. I have just got a Caxton card and there are no joining fees
CORRECT

and you can have as little as £10 load
WRONG, the minimum load is €150 euros - the below is from the Caxton website:
The minimum load on your Caxton FX Prepaid Card is £100, [HI]€150[/HI] or $200 depending on the currency of your card.​

Caxton exchange rate 1.176 as opposed to the 'actual' exchange rate of 1.205. So there charge works out at 2.4% Fairfx is currently a bit better by about 0.5C per € though so around 2%.
FairFX rate is currently £1.00 = €1.182 at the moment.

Trouble is that Fairfx is effectively a sterling card and is only converted to Euros at the point of sale. The advantage of Caxton is that the exchange rate is applied when you load the card, so a possible advantage to be had of loading when the exchange rate is good, like now.
WRONG, it works in EXACTLY the same way as the Caxton card, it is converted when you do the load, NOT when you spend it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: We DO HAVE a Caxton card and have used this quite happily however we prefer not to put all our eggs in one basket, hence why we decided to have both Caxton AND FairFX cards, that way if we are on holiday and there is a problem with one of the companies we still have the other to fall back on and/or use whichever is most suitable at the time. Both have pros and cons which I've tried to sum up below but this is not inclusive by any means! ::bigsmile:

FairFX

Advantages
  • no fee for spending in store
  • get the £8.00 discount (freebie or whatever you want to call it) when you load over £500, so when I put 'bought' £500 worth of euros it only cost me £492 which made the 'load' rate the equivalent of €1.201
  • minimum of €60 load
  • you can have another card with a separate account (in your wife's/husband's name) so if one card stops working you have the other, but more importantly from our point of view, if you have your card stolen or lose it and your first account is frozen by having a second one on a separate account it would still be usable (assuming you have the sense not to keep it in the same wallet etc as the other one so it has als been lost/nicked! :RollEyes:. ).
  • if you get a card and load it with £500+ you will also get an email so you can 'earn' £5 per referral
Disadvantages
  • costs £1.50/€1.50 per transaction when getting cash out of an ATM
CaxtonFX

Advantages
  • no fee for ATM withdrawals
  • no fee for spending in store
Disadvantages
  • minimum of €150 load
  • if you want a second card you either have to pay £5 for it (on the same account) or get a second one on a different account and load it with at least €150
  • if you have 2 cards on a single account they would both then be unusable if the account was frozen (due to theft/loss etc

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
I've just signed up for a FairFX Euro pre-load card as they've got a special rate on at the moment - load it with £500 or more and you get:

• a discount of £8 (so for £500 worth of Euros you'd only pay £492!)
  • a free card (normally costs £9.95 if you load it with less than £500)
Once I'd bought it, got an email with a link showing another offer if you want to put less than £500 on it:

So:

if you want to put LESS THAN £500 on the card use the link below and the £9.95 card cost will be waived.

https://www.fairfx.com/ref/jdlse

if you want to put £500 or MORE on the card, use the MSE link below and use the FairFX link from there and you'll get the card free and an £8* discount too (*the MSE site says £10 discount but it has obviously been reduced).

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-cards#overseas

To be totally transparent about this, if you use the first link (ie put less than £500 on) it means I'd also get a £5 bonus for every referral, but that's not my intention here ... I originally was just going to mention the '£8 discount' one in case anyone is interested in the £500+ deal as until I'd done it myself I wasn't aware of the other 'referral' reward until the email popped in my inbox! :thumb:

PS: I forgot to mention that you get a better exchange rate on this card than the Caxton card.

PPS: Another thought! I got a card (putting £500 on) and referred hubby who got a second card as we wanted to have 2 (putting £60 on) so it means we've actually got 2 cards without having to pay for a second one, as you would with Caxton!

PPPS: Yet another thought! If you DO use my referral link and complete a transaction please let me know so I can thank you!

Just used your referral link, and applied for a card. Thank you for your info. ::bigsmile:BillyS

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Probably a good idea to get both, as Caxton is Visa and Fairfx is Mastercard. Although most places take both I have found the odd place that doesn't.
Could then only use Caxton in ATMs as it's free and use Fairfx for purchases.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I've been using Caxton for a few years now and it's been good with the exception it can not be used at un-manned fuel stations.
However, now thinking of finding another card as Caxton is not covered by F.S.A. and if they go belly up any money held on your card is lost.
We have seen one money exchange service who were not covered by the F.S.A. go belly up it the last 5 years and a lot of people lost a load of money. We used them just before they folded, we had a very lucky escape and it's made me very wary ever since.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I was just having a shuftie at my FairFX account and noticed a reference to a 'Family and Friends Prepaid Mastercard' so had a look at it, might be something to consider for those who want as second card on the same account but NOTE how the loading of it works first. Note there is a cost of £6 for it.

https://www.fairfx.com/familyandfriends

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've been using Caxton for a few years now and it's been good with the exception it can not be used at un-manned fuel stations.
However, now thinking of finding another card as Caxton is not covered by F.S.A. and if they go belly up any money held on your card is lost.
We have seen one money exchange service who were not covered by the F.S.A. go belly up it the last 5 years and a lot of people lost a load of money. We used them just before they folded, we had a very lucky escape and it's made me very wary ever since.

Not sure if the above is still the case though for all of these types of cards, none are covered by the FSA, but the FairFX one has some sort of 'protection' but the CaxtonFX one doesn't:

FairFX Compensation

The Prepaid Card is an electronic money product and although it is a product regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, it is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. However, in the unlikely event that WDCS becomes insolvent, funds that you have loaded are protected against claims made by creditors.

CaxtonFX Compensation

The Prepaid Card is an electronic money product and although it is a product regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, it is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. No other compensation scheme exists to cover losses claimed in connection with the Prepaid Card. This means that in the unlikely event that Raphaels Bank becomes insolvent Your funds may become valueless and unusable and as a result You may lose Your money.

What this all means in reality though I don't know! :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back