Free Member
Feb 6, 2014
Hull
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
Hi All

I am very keen to spend no more than 3 grand on a 4 berth camper with full rear access and a centre aisle.

So far I have narrowed it down to The Transit Autosleeper or the Trafic Autosleeper, both with pop up roofs. I want petrol power, so 2 I have found are the Trafic 1.7 for £2800 with 52,000 miles and a Transit 2.0 with 55,000 miles for £3500. Both H reg.

Is there a difference in:

a. propensity for rust
b. mechanical robustness
c. mpg
d. interior space

between these two models that I should note before making the decision?

These 4 questions are ones I just can't work out by looking at pictures etc.

Thanks all.

Richard

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Not long ago we had a Transit motocaravan in from a bodywork company, we had to strip out the rear end cupboards and washroom and floor so they could rebuild the floor that had completely rotted out spreading out from the spring hangers, so if considering a Tranny that would be the first place I would look, and look hard as it's not always easy to spot.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There are plenty of old Transits and Trafics about so they must last reasonably well. If you're bothered about mpg then you should get a diesel which give far better mpg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

richardgilbert

Free Member
Feb 6, 2014
Hull
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
There are plenty of old Transits and Trafics about so they must last reasonably well. If you're bothered about mpg then you should get a diesel which give far better mpg.

Yes I guess. I suppose I should be more hoping for answers regarding the space and mpg in that case.

Regarding mpg, I am a long term LPG advocate, having had 7 vehicles converted so far without trouble (my last 7 vehicles, actually). So petrol is my preferred engine type.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Renault engine s...t tranny chassis s...t , take your pick, but if you can find a tranny diesel with a decent underneath buy it:thumb: go for ever.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Renault engine s...t tranny chassis s...t , take your pick, but if you can find a tranny diesel with a decent underneath buy it:thumb: go for ever.

and a 20 year old tranny diesel will have so much diesel knock you'll need a thousand watt amp to drown it with music.

Ford cannot and never have made a quiet diesel.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
and a 20 year old tranny diesel will have so much diesel knock you'll need a thousand watt amp to drown it with music.

What's a bit of noise to pay for the reliability and economy and ease of service of a tranny, maybe biased , used to ford tractors and ldv vans with ford running gear and I understood all these fiat engines are based on tranny specs.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

richardgilbert

Free Member
Feb 6, 2014
Hull
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp

Thanks, I was wondering if the Trafic 1.7 engine is rubbish to you because it is not powerful or not reliable or both?

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I had a Renault Trafic 2 litre petrol ex minibus LWB Hitop, that I used for work for about 8 years ( it was a '92) which I sold 3 years ago. It ran perfectly all the time I had it.
Faults were.
Rad leaking. Replaced
2 tyres worn. Replaced
Speedo cable broke. Left it as it was, not an MOT item, apparently.
Thats it. Great van, very comfortable but not very fast and about 20mpg.
My Brother in Law had a Transit, about the same year and it was covered in rust so much that he had to scrap it after 3 years. Engine was incredibly noisy, but but it pulled like a train
Allan

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks, I was wondering if the Trafic 1.7 engine is rubbish to you because it is not powerful or not reliable or both?

To be honest not had anything to do with Renault petrols but we had traffic diesels at work and they all seemed to give up at 70000, never known a tranny engine fail before the body, what reason do you want a petrol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

richardgilbert

Free Member
Feb 6, 2014
Hull
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
To be honest not had anything to do with Renault petrols but we had traffic diesels at work and they all seemed to give up at 70000, never known a tranny engine fail before the body, what reason do you want a petrol.

I have run LPG on my last 7 vehicles and am unlikely to change back now.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

But the old banana engine was so reliable...BUSBY::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Loved the old petrol Trafics - bought my first one new in 1984 - made Transits feel like tractors - and low floor and more space

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a mate of mine bought 2 new traffic petrols for his business and sold both within a couple of years because of unreliability. common faults the vans were off the road for were drive shafts and gearbox failures

traffic front wheel drive - crap on grass, sand, mud, snow

transit rear wheel drive - no problems

both rust like nobodies business and need to be carefully checked. any panel van converted to a camper, its harder to do repairs involving the floor and chassis as they get covered with plywood and furniture

traffic parts are harder to find than the sea of transit parts as less were built

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

[HI]Ford cannot and never have made a quiet diesel[/HI].

I have a new Ford Fiesta diesel van, sounds like a petrol :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back