Free Member
Feb 4, 2014
S wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Am considering the instal of one into a Fiat Ducato and not sure whether to go for the 7" monitor or smaller. Any thoughts from members would be appreciated. I want to locate it on the dash on the offside and wondering if it might be too big.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
7 inches, Thats the size of mine (camera that is) works well.
Too small and it wouldnt give a good view.

OP
OP
R

Rgh999

Free Member
Feb 4, 2014
S wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
7 inches, Thats the size of mine (camera that is) works well.
Too small and it wouldnt give a good view.
Whereabouts have you positioned it. I was just concerned that it might not fit on the dash to the right as I don't want to fit in the middle of the dash.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have 7" monitor which clips to the rear view mirror (which is useless as I don't have rear window). Wiring tucked up under roof lining and down pillar to fuse box area.

OP
OP
R

Rgh999

Free Member
Feb 4, 2014
S wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
I'm trying to get thoughts of members as to whether the 7 inch monitor looks big and detracts or hinders their view, especially if fitted on the offside of the dash by the vents. Practically I'm sure it gives the best view when reversing but does it obstruct your forward view and create a blind spot.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

As a 'newbie' it was a 'must have' for us.
It's fitted on the offside, above the vents and as well as for reversing, it is absolutely spot on in assisting as to when to pull back over into the nearside after overtaking large vehicles.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have 7" monitor which clips to the rear view mirror (which is useless as I don't have rear window). Wiring tucked up under roof lining and down pillar to fuse box area.
Hi Larby that's what I am after but with built in GPS --got any linksplease?
terry

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
GPS Reversing Camera

Hi, have Fiat with Pioneer Camera and Sat Nav combined. F130 (for trucks & motorhomes)unit with DAB radio set into the centre dash. Also can load POI's. There is a unit for sale on MotorhomeFun. Check out pioneer website.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've just taken this photo (from the driver's seat) of our monitor in position (it is removable to deter theft). It doesn't cause a significant blind spot and gives superb rear vision.

Attachments

• revmon2.jpg
    revmon2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 62
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hi Larby that's what I am after but with built in GPS --got any linksplease?
terry

Sorry Terry, No I don't. I bought a 7" monitor and twin cameras from the Peterborough show. I have look-down reversing and switchover to normal rear view camera.
I have separate GPS which incidentally I have situated above the vents in the right hand corner which others earmark for their camera.
I have uncluttered view, don't like Sat-navs on window.

EDIT, mySat nav is located where GJH has his reversing camera as in post above.

Peter

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Another thumbs up from me, :thumb: 7" monitor mounted on offside end of dash (Transit). Does not obscure the view. Works perfectly. The mounting has a thumb screw to hold the monitor in place. In practice I do not bother tightening this, it sits perfectly still and simply slide upward for removal for security purposes.::bigsmile:

Wyn

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
:Smile:We have a Bessacar E510 Compact with a reversing camera as standard (Blaupunkt). But it only comes on when reverse gear is engaged.:RollEyes:
It's OK, but would be better if it could be in use at all times !!:Doh:
Just a little tip !!!:winky:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Iveco chassis and have the 7" screen centre mounted on the dashboard with a satnav sitting on top of the dashboard above, when I had it fitted the guy was going to link it to the reverse gear for auto changeover but I toldhim to fit a rocker switch instead so I can check the trailer hitch / bike rack while in motion, one of my better moves. 7" screen is just the right size.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I did the same with mine, then it fall off:cry: mirror and all so now in same position but suction cup and support from sun visor seems ok now.
Steve

OP
OP
R

Rgh999

Free Member
Feb 4, 2014
S wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Thanks to all who have replied. Looks like the 7 inch on the dash offside is quite popular and doesn't cause any sort of obstruction. I'm thinking of going for a Digi max wireless camera from trailervision.
I know you'll all say wireless are no good, and tell me the ease and benefits of wired, but the claims of digital wireless are documented and I'm willing to give it a go to save running wires back to front.
Time will tell
Thanks again guys.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Sorry for the late reply - on nights.

My screen sits in the middle of the dash and does not obscure when driving, it actually folds down within its own box when not in use.
I have a 7" trucknav which sits to the right of the drivers seat and also is well positioned.
My reversing screen is easy to see and in line of sight as i also use the wing mirrors a lot as i dont have a view through to a rear window.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I have this week had a 7" rear view monitor and twin cameras fitted, and they are brilliant, wired so that when ignition is turned on the rear view is on ,when I want to reverse into tight places I switch to the other camera by monitor or by remote controller, , didn`t have this connected to the reverse in case I wanted to use the other camera and it cannot be over ridden in that case, :thumb:

It is a very neat job, all wires hidden through van, I did have it professionally installed though.

I couldn`t do with a dash board monitor, wouldn`t be comfortable for me.already have a sat nav on there didn`t want the hassle of having to remove two monitors every time I park up either, I do use it every day.

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
I'm sure some of the 7 inch chinese truck/RV satnavs on ebay have camera inputs, for wired cameras. Not sure how they are switched or selected, but they are pretty cheap and get good satnav write ups on here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back