Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Hello all.
Do they exist? I thought this would draw your attention. My other half and I are hoping to travel to France, in early summer this year, our first time. Hence, the title. I have ordered “France Passion”, and “All the Aires France”, the latter which has just dropped on my doorstep as I’m typing this. I would be grateful, if any of you well -seasoned travellers to France could point me in the right direction, with regards of where to go, and what to see, on our first trip. We are hoping to do a fortnight in mid- May, and have no plans, although I would like to visit Mont St. Michael sometime, although it doesn’t have to be on our first trip. We did 3 weeks in Holland, Germany, and Luxembourg last year, so I am used to travelling on the other side of the road, also having driven to Germany several times in our car over the years. Anyway, won’t bore you anymore, any info, gratefully received. Many thanks. BillyS

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
normandy landings, is a favourite of mine, done it a couple of times and still go back

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
My advice would be if using a sat nav is use "avoid tolls option" and let it take you where it feels,we have found some great roads and scenary doing this

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My advice would be if using a sat nav is use "avoid tolls option" and let it take you where it feels,we have found some great roads and scenary doing this

Couldn't agree more, very boring on mways but a different country:thumb: off them, if you have done all that traveling in Europe don't see why France would be a problem:thumb:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Billys,
It depends on what you personally like/want , as said before Normandy landings very interesting( if going do go don't miss the surround 360 cinema at Arromanche's ), or there's Loire valley lovely Chateau's plenty of aires ideal for bikes,Ile de Re fab island again take bikes , Brittany , Oradour sur Glane village left as was in 1945 by the germans Devastated! , 2014 100 years after the great war Somme Etc.
Have a look at my Photo albums, any other help just ask.
:rain:Terry:rain:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Research the weather as best you can. You would be surprised how "British" the weather can be in Northern France. As said in a previous post the Loire, Blois, Chatres, Orleans etc all wonderful areas/towns/cities to visit. I prefer the south west (south of Bordeaux) as it tends to be warmer there. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.:thumb:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Research the weather as best you can. You would be surprised how "British" the weather can be in Northern France. As said in a previous post the Loire, Blois, Chatres, Orleans etc all wonderful areas/towns/cities to visit. I prefer the south west (south of Bordeaux) as it tends to be warmer there. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.:thumb:

I must agree about the weather in northern France, Loire area Briare, sully sur Loire, Beaugency, Amboise , Turquant & Saumur, just to name a few nice aires & places to visit. Yes I like the Landes region south of Bordeaux fab sand & pine trees bit far for just 2 weeks but do-able, if going there don't miss Dune du Pylat , dune du Pyla 110 mtrs high sand dune fab views. Biscarrosse, Gastes & Sanquinet aires

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you really want to visit Mont St. Michael I would suggest going in February or some other off-peak time. It is a tourist magnet and can get very crowded.

As a rule and of course only if any work/baby sitting commitments allow avoid middle of July to the end of August and at all costs avoid the first two weeks of August. It isn't just crowded but you will find all the chefs have also gone on holiday and left the B Team in charge.

Some France generalisations:

• The south coast can get very hot in summer. Uncomfortably so at times.
  • The Atlantic coast can be wet at any time of the year but you should be fairly safe in Summer but it can also be windy.
  • The Channel coast has lots of interesting history such as the D-Day Beaches. The war cemeteries can be very moving.
  • The Dordogne is popular with Brits and for good reason.
  • I like Brittany but you don't go there for reliable sun.
  • There is some spectacular scenery in France. For example, draw a triangle between say Nice, Grenoble and Montpellier and just go exploring it. Old towns, spectacular mountains, lavender fields plus of course as much good wine, cheese and bread as you can manage.
  • The toll roads are brilliant for getting anywhere quickly. They are generally well maintained and a delight to drive on compared to British roads. Of course this comes at a cost and though driving cross-country to avoid them saves some money it can be a lot slower and the start-stop can be annoying if you are pushed for time. You might also get worse mpg than on the motorway if you keep your speed down on the latter.
There are a few grim bits but you don't have to drive very far from them before you are back in the nice bits.

I would recommend buying the Rough Guide to Frogland. You don't have to read it but skim through the highlights to get some ideas. I've got a lot of Lonely Planet guides but I've gone off them as they are often poorly printed with unreadable maps. The Rough Guides are much better in this respect.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Have an outline plan and then take it day by day. Decide on your max driving distance/times and also work back from your return crossing home. Don't over-plan in case you find somewhere you'd like to stay a few days.

We've done several "pot luck" trips to France, and it's fab ....particularly as you can't pre-book aires and France Passion sites! - Just have a "plan b" if you're aiming for a busy area. A NW "circuit" down as far as Ile de Re / La Rochelle round Brittany could be lovely .....

We're off on another French trip on Saturday, armed with lots of wet weather gear, and nothing booked ..... are we mad (our kids think we are)? No - just very lucky to be able to do it.

Enjoy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back