Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
is there a way of calibrating the sender for the water tank mine reads 140l when only around half full.Think the tank is around 100l so must be wrong. Thought about fitting potentiometer in circuit but what size and would it work. May need a new sender or just live with it?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
im sure you could....but why bother.

You know you are empty when the tap runs dry....then you need to go fill up.
With a working gauge, when it shows empty you still need to go fill up.

Plus, the gauge will still be variable as the hab battery voltage drops and rises under charging

You could do the same thing by experimenting with differing value inline resistors but it still wont be linear...(empty 1/4 1/2 3/4 full) no matter how you do it.

Just like a fuel gauge....they are only an inacurate indicator.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
is there a way of calibrating the sender for the water tank mine reads 140l when only around half full.Think the tank is around 100l so must be wrong. Thought about fitting potentiometer in circuit but what size and would it work. May need a new sender or just live with it?

If it's a computerised LCD display there may well be a calibration setting to suit different tanks, problem is finding out the code to get access to it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it's a computerised LCD display there may well be a calibration setting to suit different tanks, problem is finding out the code to get access to it.

once again the technology to make our lives easier and more reliable actualy make things a lot more difficult.

Simple mechanical technology will be sadly missed.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Mine's a pathological liar. I know salt isn't good for you but the readings given are best taken with some:whatthe:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Drill a hole near the bottom of the tank, fit a tap then from the tap fit a length of see through plastic pipe that is longer than the height of the tank tape the pipe up the side of the tank. Find a coloured plastic hollow bead that will float and fit inside the tubing, open the tap, fill the tank and the water will fill the tube and the bead will show you precisely how much is in the tank. Thimple

OP
OP
mick noe

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
once again the technology to make our lives easier and more reliable actualy make things a lot more difficult.

very true on our old van it was very easy to see tank level so just filled up to a small hump in the tank for traveling (about a day and a bit use) and fill to overflowing on arrival on site ...........simples:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Drill a hole near the bottom of the tank, fit a tap then from the tap fit a length of see through plastic pipe that is longer than the height of the tank tape the pipe up the side of the tank. Find a coloured plastic hollow bead that will float and fit inside the tubing, open the tap, fill the tank and the water will fill the tube and the bead will show you precisely how much is in the tank. Thimple

thats more like it.....

Simple mechanical technology is not dead....its alive and kicking. :thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I'm not sure what system Rapido fit, but if the sender unit comprises a set of different length rods, it might be worth giving them a bit of a clean. I periodically get my hand in the empty tank and rub the rods with one of those green plastic pan scourers. This is even more important for the waste tank where the senders get covered in 'gunge'.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Funny you should say that, my thread today on A and N Caravans.

Our water gauge was intermittent then non-existent. I found the old moving coil meter open circuit. A and N supplied one within 12 hours. So yes, a very easy repair but even old technology does fail.

You are dead right, a multimeter and a soldering iron, pull off wire, measure, "ah open circuit".

Other side of the coin, Joy is going spare with her later computerised display all grief and many ££££££ talked about.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Other side of the coin, Joy is going spare with her later computerised display all grief and many ££££££ talked about.

Joy needs some help as her supplying dealer is not being helpfull at all and as I understand it, she has only had the van four months and it was faulty when supplied

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back