LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Been talking to the Chancellor of the exchequer (er indoors) just mulling over whether to go for a new satnav. :Eeek:

Now it would be a toss up between Tom Tom caravan (I don't like their new PC program)

Or a Snooper s7000

Wot do you lot fink???:Doh:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I like Garmin. Having had a Nüvi 250 for a few years, I bought a Dezl 560LMT truck satnav last June and I think it is very good. I have the Hymer's dimensions and weight set as a profile and it's routing choices seem pretty good. It also provides useful information as I drive along (speed limits, steep inclines, sharp bends, narrow sections of road, weight limits ahead etc.)

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Get a decent map!!! at least then you'd be able to have decent arguments over who was at fault!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry, Of course it's you that's wrong Ken! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Ken , We bought TomTom caravan mid last year , so far had no problems toured brittany , peak district . not sure if it's great value considering the price, but it does what it say's on the box.
:sin:Terry:sin:

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Snooper S7000

I have had a snooper for some years using the HGV version, however I have now purchased the Motorhome + campsite version sim card.
It can be programmed for height , weight, length and width, The height is most reliable but you must take the others with a pinch of salt, it will always send you via the motorway /A road unless you speak to it very firmly ! The 7 inch screen is a bonus and of course it is compatible for reversing cameras. They don not always however grasp that a 7ft 6in MH will not fit down a 6ft 6in width restriction. The idea is good but always check the destination map to be certain.

The one I have also has a digital TV facility.

The decision is yours.

Best Regards M::bigsmile:

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Garmin Dezl T560 for us, bit different than our old Tom Tom, but we are used to it now and we have been down as far as Sicily with it with no real problems.

However find the other half refuses to trust a Sat Nav so still looks at a map!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was recently loaned a TomTom Machine to review for Funsters. TheBroken Link Removed model.

I've not written the review yet but this is yet another TomTom let down by a touchscreen that is frankly pathetic. OK to look at but input is hit and miss and can be so frustrating. Its generally OK, but TomTom are certainly being left well behind in the useabilty stakes. AVOID.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Garmin for me every time.
Tried TomTom very unimpressed sent it back got a full refund also a Snooper the same got full refund.

Use a Nuvi 1490 in the motorhome basic cheap & cheerful but does everything we need.
Zumo 660 on the bike for my big trips, amazing piece of kit but very expensive.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I was recently loaned a TomTom Machine to review for Funsters. TheBroken Link Removed model.

I've not written the review yet but this is yet another TomTom let down by a touchscreen that is frankly pathetic. OK to look at but input is hit and miss and can be so frustrating. Its generally OK, but TomTom are certainly being left well behind in the useabilty stakes. AVOID.

Looked at buying one of those, but couldnt justify spending over £300 on a sat nav.

So spent £150 on a Galaxy Tab3 8in, installed NavFree (which has RV/HGV setting) - jobs a good un. Half the price, and got a(nother) tablet :thumb:

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Snooper

Snooper 7000 for us. Its charger failed first time out but was replaced straight away by the makers on our return.

Its menu's are not the best, awkward to find all the bits they advertise.

But it did us proud over our extended tour, only once taking us over a bridge that was too small.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Ken,,,, if the old girl will give you a few weeks pocket money in advance...:winky:::bigsmile:

This is a superb buy...

One fitted in this van when we got it,,,, and it runs circles round any thing else on the market...

Not cheap.... but I`m well impressed...

May have been sold now,,, but worth a try... :thumb:

Here = Broken Link Removed

Information Here = http://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/3161423/pioneer-avic-f130.html

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
With ordinary sat navs I went from TomTom to Garmin and back to TomTom.

I've always been sceptical of the capabilities of the "large vehicle" models especially as they are so expensive. I've asked questions of the manufacturers about how the software works and the completeness of the data as regards road widths &c and never really received a straight answer.

Reading the various posts on the Chinese devices available on eBay - especially Broken Link Removed - I went for the P Navi device from Navibuzz. We tested it against the TomTom on our trip to Skipton just over a week ago and it definitely gave us a better route for the vehicle size. As I expected, there are one or two crudities in the processing but at £62.99 it's good value and, quite honestly, I can't see the expensive mainstream ones being any better.

One thing to watch with Snooper is that you cannot add your own POI sets. You have to send them to Snooper for conversion - and that means they can not convert copyrighted sets.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Been talking to the Chancellor of the exchequer (er indoors) just mulling over whether to go for a new satnav. :Eeek:

Now it would be a toss up between Tom Tom caravan (I don't like their new PC program)

Or a Snooper s7000

Wot do you lot fink???:Doh:

I have the Snooper 6400 CC version, ok not perfect but it hasn't taken me anywhere I really didn't want to go. The big screen is a bonus as are all the camp sites. :thumb:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Tomtom for me does everything I need use it all day for work and in the motorhome in France good as gold I,ve just bought a tomtom start with free lifetime map updates at around £100 solely for the motorhome good value for money and easy to use.:thumb:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Agree about the tomtom starts. Only gripe i have is i cannot find a way to "back it up" as it does not show in "computer" :cry:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Looked at buying one of those, but couldnt justify spending over £300 on a sat nav.

So spent £150 on a Galaxy Tab3 8in, installed NavFree (which has RV/HGV setting) - jobs a good un. Half the price, and got a(nother) tablet :thumb:

I am looking for a GPS at the moment and found one with everything I should need on , except may be one thing I find usufull which is speed alert as I tend to sing and forget about checking my speed. I guess I'll have to be less singing and more thinking....:giggle:.Now you got me thinking because I would like to buy a Samsung Tab 3 but ...may be a daft question , what happens when you are abroad with no internet??? Does your NavFree goes on working? Is it not supposed to work on your sim/data contract? My phone has a free sat nav I use very often , far better than my mum's tomtom but when I am out of France ... that's it .... stuffed I am:p
Can you tell me more? Ta

Amicalement

Frankie :)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Firstly, an update. I got rid of NavFree - it was "ok", but a bit awkward and clunky.
Now using Co-Pilot, which is far far better. The basic Co-Pilot is free, but if memory serves correctly, comes with limited UK mapping. I upgraded to the full European maps for about £25. It installs some or all maps, depending on your preference, at install.
You'll be given the option to buy the Speed Camera pack (a few quid), and Traffic pack (a few more quid).
Navigation and speed camera detection doesn't require an internet connection. Traffic info does need an internet connection to keep up to date.

I've also recently installed Dash-Cam App. Very good imaging, and so far working very well. Only "downside" is that it uses a lot of memory space,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back