LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
As today has been dawn to dusk sunshine:Cool: I have been doing jobs before my trip south. I took both the batteries out and cleaned the terminals and checked electrolyte level's all good but noticed that on one of the batteries all of the caps had black oily stuff on them. Both batteries are the same age (18 months) both the same and no problem with charge. I dropped tested both and the were the same.(no that does not mean I dropped then on the floor)so what's the black stuff?
Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As today has been dawn to dusk sunshine:Cool: I have been doing jobs before my trip south. I took both the batteries out and cleaned the terminals and checked electrolyte level's all good but noticed that on one of the batteries all of the caps had black oily stuff on them. Both batteries are the same age (18 months) both the same and no problem with charge. I dropped tested both and the were the same.(no that does not mean I dropped then on the floor)so [HI]what's the black stuff?[/HI]
Steve

Gunk ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no idea, unless its some kind of chemical reaction between the cap and electrolyte if that battery had been gassing for any reason.
normal gassing residue would just be wet and clear

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
no idea, unless its some kind of chemical reaction between the cap and electrolyte if that battery had been gassing for any reason.
normal gassing residue would just be wet and clear
yes my thoughts as well. I have never seen it before tried to wash it off with soapy water but didn't move it, but petrol did the job which makes me think its oil based. will have to wait and see what develops.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I always put a bit of grease on my terminals to avoid a build up of that white stuff and it does work .It maybe dirty grease lol.

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
now you lost me......why would solar panels cause the black stuff ?

I am not saying it is the panels? but the forum that was talking about a similar problem was a solar forum site in usa. perhaps a downside to the way the controller works. I have noticed that when the batteries are full the volts go up to 20+ but amps at 0.1 so maybe a product of desulphurisation. I will look for more info and wait for others to reply.
An interesting subject, well I think so.
Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am not saying it is the panels? but the forum that was talking about a similar problem was a solar forum site in usa. perhaps a downside to the way the controller works. I have noticed that when the batteries are full the volts go up to 20+ but amps at 0.1 so maybe a product of desulphurisation. I will look for more info and wait for others to reply.
Steve

I think you are spot on..

whatever it is on the caps it it's coming from inside the battery.. so if it is gassing excessively that may well be damaging the plates.. long term not good..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am not saying it is the panels? but the forum that was talking about a similar problem was a solar forum site in usa. perhaps a downside to the way the controller works. I have noticed that when the batteries are full the[HI] volts go up to 20+[/HI] but amps at 0.1 so maybe a product of desulphurisation. I will look for more info and wait for others to reply.
Steve

Whoa !!!....i would be looking for another solar controller.

Batteries START to gas at around 14.8v...at 20v they will be boiling.

The controllers voltage should always be around 13.5/13.8v regardless of charge state.
Output at the panel terminals should around 17v, reduced to 13.8v after the controller.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am not saying it is the panels? but the forum that was talking about a similar problem was a solar forum site in usa. perhaps a downside to the way the controller works. I have noticed that when the batteries are full the[HI] volts go up to 20+[/HI] but amps at 0.1 so maybe a product of desulphurisation. I will look for more info and wait for others to reply.
Steve

The controllers voltage should always be around 13.5/13.8v regardless of charge state.
Output at the panel terminals should around 17v, reduced to 13.8v after the controller.

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I think you are spot on..

whatever it is on the caps it it's coming from inside the battery.. so if it is gassing excessively that may well be damaging the plates.. long term not good..

Yes I agree, I think I need to give the batteries a little more work to do, or even remove one of them. Going off to Spain etc next week so will save some cash and not use EH.
Steve

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years

You are quiet right pappajohn I was looking at the output from the panels to the controller not the output from the controller to the batteries 14.6v

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back