Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
I see many new Caravans fitted with almost Black windows which are a little "Marmite" however my rear side window is where the fixed bed is so this would be good to have in Black (before the lights are turned on).
I know the plastic windows react to a number of things but does anybody know if window tinting on the inside would be ok ?

I have a good guy whom has done our car rear windows but obviously wish to know if anybody has heard anything ?

As ever thanks in advance.

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I see many new Caravans fitted with almost Black windows which are a little "Marmite" however my rear side window is where the fixed bed is so this would be good to have in Black (before the lights are turned on).
I know the plastic windows react to a number of things but does anybody know if window tinting on the inside would be ok ?

I have a good guy whom has done our car rear windows but obviously wish to know if anybody has heard anything ?

It rather sounds like the guy you know is the man to ask........but please let us in on the answer, I've been thinking about doing the same :thumb:

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It rather sounds like the guy you know is the man to ask........but please let us in on the answer, I've been thinking about doing the same :thumb:

He was my first contact, he does Cars for a living but guess what, nothing else and i don't want to be the test pilot :O)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
He was my first contact, he does Cars for a living but guess what, nothing else and i don't want to be the test pilot :O)

O I C the problem as I see it would be that my windows, and perhaps yours, are shaped on the inside....could be a bit 'iffy' to get a good finish. As regards any reaction on the plastic, I'll be honest I hadn't given that a thought :Doh:

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
O I C the problem as I see it would be that my windows, and perhaps yours, are shaped on the inside....could be a bit 'iffy' to get a good finish. As regards any reaction on the plastic, I'll be honest I hadn't given that a thought :Doh:

The chap i know said the flat areas of the window are easy, he would leave the shaped outer edge as its impossible to get into the deeper areas and around the catches, I'm happy with that.

I just remember hearing somewhere something, it was people putting cling film on the outside to protect from winter covers rubbing, panic ensued as some boffins said it would destroy the plastic ?

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I had totally forgotten about that. Hmm, it does make you a bit apprehensive doesn't it

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The chap i know said the flat areas of the window are easy, he would leave the shaped outer edge as its impossible to get into the deeper areas and around the catches, I'm happy with that.

I just remember hearing somewhere something, it was people putting cling film on the outside to protect from winter covers rubbing, panic ensued as some boffins said it would destroy the plastic ?
Had mine on a previous MH, heated the film up with my hot air gun sufficiently to shape the film onto the contours of the plastic windows ...sold the vehicle earlier this year after 'film' had been on there nearly 18 months with no problems:RollEyes:

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Had mine on a previous MH, heated the film up with my hot air gun sufficiently to shape the film onto the contours of the plastic windows ...sold the vehicle earlier this year after 'film' had been on there nearly 18 months with no problems:RollEyes:

Great job thanks.
Just had my tame window chap come back, after checking the stud stuff is fine, any gasses the plastic produces will eek out at the edges so I'm going to try it.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Its good to hear you aren't tinting all your windows.

We had an Elddis Autocirrus with Seitz privacy windows. Looked smart from the outside but it ruined the evening views and had us turning on lights early!:Doh:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Get the mirror effect,may ad a bit of fun to bedtime!
You could have a full moon every night. :ROFLMAO::winky:

Vlad

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Its good to hear you aren't tinting all your windows.

We had an Elddis Autocirrus with Seitz privacy windows. Looked smart from the outside but it ruined the evening views and had us turning on lights early!:Doh:

I bet it did. Yes I feel the two very back ones around the fixed bed would be good, all the rest are perfect as they are. It's just a pain having the nets/blinds down it's to dark so tint may be a solution.
Going to do one window and see though just in case, if it looks odd then off it comes.

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
My Renault Master conversion has black privacy windows all round behind the drivers seat. They are all glass, and are pretty good. I believe that they have been film coated before I bought it.
During the day total privacy is assured without a great deal of natural light loss.
With interior lights on, however, you do need to close the curtains or blinds.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Could you cut a piece of flat plastic
( damaged stuff with the right undamaged area from a b&q type place)
to the shape you need

Then tint that fit with suckers when required or Velcro

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Could you cut a piece of flat plastic
( damaged stuff with the right undamaged area from a b&q type place)
to the shape you need

Then tint that fit with suckers when required or Velcro

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

That's a fair shout thanks, I did considor a window from a breakers and jig saw it but I can do each window for £40, and as only Two I think it deserves the full monte.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the glue does react with the plastic, but when it does, peel off the film, clean the surface of glue and redo the tint. should get a few years out of each application though

i have tinted a few plastic windows over the years and never had major problems. i used the tint on a roll available cheaply on ebay. doesnt take long to do a good job. takes longest to get the windows spotless and grease free

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
The glue on the vinyl will cause the window to craze over time with sun on it as the acrylic needs to breath also the vinyl as it shrinks will make the window bow slightly if it is glass no probs acrylic not a good idea

Cheers :Blush:

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
The glue on the vinyl will cause the window to craze over time with sun on it as the acrylic needs to breath also the vinyl as it shrinks will make the window bow slightly if it is glass no probs acrylic not a good idea

Cheers :Blush:

Good shout and thanks.
It should be noted that, and confirmed by the tint maker, the sun, uv and heat have to pass through two plastic tinted panels plus the large cavity before reaching the film.
What you say is relevant but more so on single glazed windows, however what they say is replace every 5 years so this confirms what you say.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
An alternative would be lighting and/or filter gel sheets - these are what are used to put on spotlights etc to give coloured lighting effects and come in a vast array of colours and sizes. They are thin and are cheap too, with the advantage that you can put them in place (suckers/clips/even little bits of Velcro!), or remove them, as you wish.

You could get one large sheet for each window, or, to be a bit 'Hyacinth Bucket' get a multicoloured set and make a leaded window effect! ::bigsmile:

Alternatively, if you want a boudoir effect you could get red ones!!! :Blush:

gel sheets

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
An alternative would be lighting and/or filter gel sheets - these are what are used to put on spotlights etc to give coloured lighting effects and come in a vast array of colours and sizes. They are thin and are cheap too, with the advantage that you can put them in place (suckers/clips/even little bits of Velcro!), or remove them, as you wish.

You could get one large sheet for each window, or, to be a bit 'Hyacinth Bucket' get a multicoloured set and make a leaded window effect! ::bigsmile:

gel sheets

Ha ha ha love it

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008

gel sheets

I was just about to suggest that Minx.

If anybody wants to try some give me a shout, have a look here http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/colour-list.html which is the range that I use. I tend to have #101 to #195 in my store room.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I know about the filters simply because I used to manage a large performance hall where I worked (over 500 seater) and worked closely with the technician so learned quite a bit about this sort of thing! :thumb:

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No
I have just tinted the windows in our van using DC-Fix Static Cling Film (No Adhesive)
It took about 5 hours to remove the windows from the van, clean and apply the film
We like the extra privacy it give us but time will tell if it stays in place :winky:
PS...the windows are not as dark as they appear in the photos...it was getting dark :Doh:

Attachments

• Tinted OS.jpg
    Tinted OS.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Tinted NS.jpg
    Tinted NS.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Nice one looks good.

What did you do around the edges where the handles are ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have just tinted the windows in our van using DC-Fix Static Cling Film (No Adhesive)
It took about 5 hours to remove the windows from the van, clean and apply the film
We like the extra privacy it give us but time will tell if it stays in place :winky:
PS...the windows are not as dark as they appear in the photos...it was getting dark :Doh:

Did you check to make sure it is safe to use on plastic windows as normal cling film can cause them to craze after a while. :Eeek:

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Did you check to make sure it is safe to use on plastic windows as normal cling film can cause them to craze after a while. :Eeek:

This was covered ages ago, read back a ways

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No

Yep I emailed the German manufacturers and they replied as below...lost a bit in translation :Doh:

You can process the tint film on RV Plastic windows.
Please note due to the weather to cold and heat influence.

I have also found reviews online of people using this film successfully on their vans in Europe...it is not like 'kitchen cling film'

Last edited:

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No
Nice one looks good.

What did you do around the edges where the handles are ?

I removed all the windows from the van and took all the catches/handles off so just leaving the flat inner surface to apply the film then just trimmed around the edge :Smile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back