We have Solar so why are the batteries flat (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
The usual story went to check on our motorhome today which is currently stored outside, last used at Christmas and both batteries are flat as a pancake.

We have solar with a duo sunsaver which is showing as green but I would have expected some life in the leisure battery.

A second question since we have no access to hook-up at the storage what are our options apart from jumpstarting from the car ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Something wrong there. My MH is in storage outside and all batteries are fully charged with solar (400w)

If you can be a bit more specific about what batteries and solar panels you have someone may be able to help.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
The usual story went to check on our motorhome today which is currently stored outside, last used at Christmas and both batteries are flat as a pancake.

We have solar with a duo sunsaver which is showing as green but I would have expected some life in the leisure battery.

A second question since we have no access to hook-up at the storage what are our options apart from jumpstarting from the car ?
:Sad:
We had this problem with our very first m/home when in storage..... found that a clever person at the factory had wrongly wired the fridge so it was draining the vehicle battery. Not saying that is your problem but mistakes do happen ???????????? :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Something been left on, you should have some power in your leisure batteries if you havn't been using your motorhome. :Smile:

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
will check on the battery and solar details as i only have the receipts that came with the motorhome and not the actual details.

It has a sunsaver duo which is supposed to charge both batteries from the solar panel so I would have expected something.

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
How old are your batteries. We have not had a lot of decent light recently, the solars might be fighting a loosing battle. Also check your radio is actually switched off and not on sleep mode. Lasly if you have an alarm fitted that will also be draining the system

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Something wrong there,I keep my van at home and left it at the end of November without hook up , just being in, batteries have plenty of juice.Started straight away . Got the bug now need to go for a drive LOL.:winky:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I don't know if this will help, but on our AutoTrail we have a Sargent Electrical PSU. This has a switch which is designated "System Shutdown", and it does what it says on the tin.
If you have it in the shutdown position it switches all of the electric systems off, including solar panels, as far as I understand it. This results in the batteries not charging.
Next to it is the "Power Button" which is used to activate such things as lighting system, water pump, heater etc., which all have their own separate switches for individual use.

Have a look here as it may help.
www.sargentltd.co.uk and click onto Technical Data on the left of the page. This opens up to Product Information (click on that), then look down the list for EC500PSU User instructions and click on that. Scroll down the page and you will find a picture which will show you what I am trying to explain.

It is probably totally different to your system but it may help you with ideas. :thumb:

Followtheox

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
banbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autotrail
Exp
2 years
We had the same problem last year and this with all 3 batteries dead within a month. Dealer has replaced both leisure batteries as one went down last year(replaced) and again this year( both replaced) When a battery dies it doesn't accept the charge and also doesn't click over to the vehicle battery for charging as leisure needs the charge and vehicle battery loses all charge. Check your batteries

automedon

Free Member
Mar 22, 2013
Huddersfield West Yorks.
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter convers
Exp
3 yrs
Flat Batteries

We had this problem 'till a clever young elecy bloke fitted an isolator switch in the dash which of course switched off all electrics when ON.
Cost £30 cash and 2 mince pies (it was Xmas time):Smile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I don't know if this will help, but on our AutoTrail we have a Sargent Electrical PSU. This has a switch which is designated "System Shutdown", and it does what it says on the tin.
If you have it in the shutdown position it switches all of the electric systems off, including solar panels, as far as I understand it. This results in the batteries not charging.

If it helps, we also have a Sargent system ( EC500 PSU and EC480 Panel) When the "shutdown switch" is operated, there is still power to the alarm and Tracker ( if fitted) and the solar panels will charge the leisure battery only.

Allan

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
If it helps, we also have a Sargent system ( EC500 PSU and EC480 Panel) When the "shutdown switch" is operated, there is still power to the alarm and Tracker ( if fitted) and the solar panels will charge the leisure battery only.

Allan

Having checked, I agree, you are quite right :Blush: :sorry2:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have the Sunsaver Duo. It can be set to give 50/50 split between the battery banks. Its default setting is 90% to the leisure and 10% to the vehicle battery.

We have been finding it difficult to keep the batteries charged in Spain from mid November to now. We are living in the van though and using the power for TV in the dark evenings. The angle of the sun makes a lot of difference. I can see the power going up every day now. Most vans down here, we have noticed, have fitted hinged brackets so they can angle the panel to the sun.

It should make no difference on this regulator if one bank in down, as it will split the charge until one bank is full before directing the surplus to the other bank.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
unless you have a compressor fridge and it isnt turned off then wedging the door open will not flatten the batteries.

Absorption fridges only work on 12v with the engine running.

I would suggest the solar panel isnt charging enough, not much useful sun at this time of year, or some other parasitic load is draining the batteries.....12v smoke/gas/intruder alarm, tv on standby instead of off/unplugged, locker light turned on etc..

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:Hi Orridge, that happened to me with this van and it was the start of my problems. The wiring was the wrong way round and the van battery was sending charge to the leisure battery despite the battery master being set.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
tried jump starting the cab battery which was brand new in Septembet today for our 2l Volvo and that didnt work so will look at one of the Clark 4000 jumpstarters when seems to get a few recommendations.

Leisure battery was only getting about 6.3v from the solar which i guess is to be expected at this time of year, now removed for charging at home.

Leisure battery is a Platinum 6110l 110ah but does not have a manufactured date on it so I do not know the age but I suspect the 2 new 110's that I have a receipt with the paperwork from the previous owner were removed prior to sale.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
tried jump starting the cab battery which was brand new in Septembet today for our 2l Volvo and that didnt work so will look at one of the Clark 4000 jumpstarters when seems to get a few recommendations.

Leisure battery was only getting about 6.3v from the solar which i guess is to be expected at this time of year, now removed for charging at home.

Leisure battery is a Platinum 6110l 110ah but does not have a manufactured date on it so I do not know the age but I suspect the 2 new 110's that I have a receipt with the paperwork from the previous owner were removed prior to sale.

Solar panel should always show 12v in daylight/sunshine, actually its around 17v at the panel connections.....voltage is pretty constant with variable amps decided by amount and strength of sun controlling charge rate.

If you only get 6.3v from the controller i would say its time for a new controller or panel.

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011

HI,
I have a Clark 4000 and needed it last winter on our old motorhome. It fired up a 2.8D okay, expensive but impressed.

GRUMPY OLD GIT

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 8, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Started in1974 with a converted London ambulance
Had the same problem a couple of weeks ago,panels not charging LB.s
Checked all cables,connections and fuses, all ok.
Disconnected panel cables from regulator, getting 14v from panels so ok there.
Diconnected battery cables from regulator, getting 12.8v from cables same as battery reading so all ok there.
Only thing left in the system which I can't check is the regulator.....Suspect Kaput.
Have ordered new one which should arrive tomorrow,hopefully this will cure the problem.
Will update when I fit it.
Have taken the advice of the funster techsperts and ordered a MPPT regulator

Regards, Bob.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Had the same problem a couple of weeks ago,panels not charging LB.s
Checked all cables,connections and fuses, all ok.
Disconnected panel cables from regulator, getting 14v from panels so ok there.
Diconnected battery cables from regulator, getting 12.8v from cables same as battery reading so all ok there.
Only thing left in the system which I can't check is the regulator.....Suspect Kaput.
Have ordered new one which should arrive tomorrow,hopefully this will cure the problem.
Will update when I fit it.
Have taken the advice of the funster techsperts and ordered a MPPT regulator

Regards, Bob.

MPPT = :thumb:
Yer canno change the laws of physics......... :roflmto:

Trikeman. :winky:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.

With your attempt to jump start your van, did you just put the leads on and try to start the van? If that's what you did you would be MUCH better off connecting up your jump leads from your car and run the car at a fast idle for some time to try to build the MoHo battery up before trying to start it. You car alternator will belt the amps into the MoHo battery so can 'revive' the battery. I have done this on vans and left the car running (connected) for at least half an hour and that has put enough back in the battery for both to kick the van into life. Once this is achieved, disconnect jump leads and let your MoHo run on fast idle to build up the cab battery and take it for a good run. Not sure if yours will then charge the hab batteries from there as it depends if it's wired that way.

Regards,

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
With your attempt to jump start your van, did you just put the leads on and try to start the van? If that's what you did you would be MUCH better off connecting up your jump leads from your car and run the car at a fast idle for some time to try to build the MoHo battery up before trying to start it. You car alternator will belt the amps into the MoHo battery so can 'revive' the battery. I have done this on vans and left the car running (connected) for at least half an hour and that has put enough back in the battery for both to kick the van into life. Once this is achieved, disconnect jump leads and let your MoHo run on fast idle to build up the cab battery and take it for a good run. Not sure if yours will then charge the hab batteries from there as it depends if it's wired that way.

Regards,

Yes i agree with Trikeman ,that should get you started, but you definetly have something draining your batteries, there has been enough sunny days to keep a small trickle charge to your batts, if it was just an alarm system drawing a current then the solar should have kept enough to stop a total drain, as others have said perhaps the regulator is faulty, that combined with something left on or not wired right
pete

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I did connect and run the car engine for about 30 mins but did not fast idle.

Checked the leisure battery and needed topping up which i have since done and put on trickle charge.

Now to sort out the cab battery.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our batteries are solar-charged and are normally quite healthy for most of the time in storage but on one occasion I found both flat, despite the control panel being turned off.

Turns out that the blown air heater fan was wired independently of the control panel and had been left on.

When in storage I rig up a temporary split relay charger circuit that I connect from the (solar-charged) leisure battery to the engine battery so any surplus charge keeps the engine battery topped up.

Trouble is, as pappajohn has already mentioned, you get bugger all charge from a solar panel in the UK in winter, especially if the MH is parked with the panel in shade or angled away from the sun. Not much surplus charge available there. You also need to remember the impact of the cold on your more exposed and less robust engine battery. In Jan and Feb I try to drive the vehicle around for a while every four weeks, as I frequently find the leisure battery just about OK and the cab battery struggling.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
it's stored out in direct light so no shade etc and hopefully when I can get it started will take it out for a run.

Planning on heading over to France over half-term once I sort out these battery issues.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just for info my 'van has been parked outside and not on any sort of EHU for some time now. It has a 100W panel and the battery control panel this afternoon at about 14:30 showed 13.7 volts and between 0.1 and 0.2 amps charge - it alternates between the two so is probably somewhere around 0.15 amps. From this it tells me they are fully charged and I would expect them to stay like that all winter.

As others have said if they are going flat something is wrong. Even in our climate any sort of reasonably sized panel should keep them fully charged all winter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back