Where to buy a data SIM card in Benidorm (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Do any Funsters know where to buy a data SIM card in Benidorm? Prepay, about 1 gig a month if possible for use in an unlocked 3 mi-fi. Any advice much appreciated.:thumb:
Campsite Wi-Fi useless and expensive. Arriving late next week and want to buy on arrival.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Do any Funsters know where to buy a data SIM card in Benidorm? Prepay, about 1 gig a month if possible for use in an unlocked 3 mi-fi. Any advice much appreciated.:thumb:
Campsite Wi-Fi useless and expensive. Arriving late next week and want to buy on arrival.

1 Gig a month, I used that in a very short space of time. Wifi on site appears to be ok, no limit as far as I can tell and the download speeds are in the region of between 2-4Mbps and upload about 0.5meg.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Mike, the best place is the indoor market. There are two stalls. Do not use Andy's go to the other one. Most of the funsters down here at Villasol are using their mifi's with the Hits sim. They do rates for 1,2 & 3 gig.
Graham :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
SIM

Is there still a Carrefour supermarket, towards the old town?

The Carrefour pay and go mobile tariff might suit you.

Russell

OP
OP
quickweh
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
1 Gig OK

1 Gig a month, I used that in a very short space of time. Wifi on site appears to be ok, no limit as far as I can tell and the download speeds are in the region of between 2-4Mbps and upload about 0.5meg.
Thanks ShifZZ, the campsites in Benidorm have a Dutch population with Wi-Fi masts sucking in the signal. This and the cost of campsite Wi-Fi make a 3G dongle more attractive for my modest use, mostly browsing and a more secure banking method. I used a Europa SIM last year, OK up to a point but go over your data allowance at it empties your account rapidly!! Then try to get back on line to top up, nightmare. Something like the system operated by 3 would be
ideal if there is one in Spain.:Smile:

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Graham ( grasscutter) is absolutely spot on with his advice, most of us learned the hard way, Villasol wifi next to useless due to the reasons you outlined,

The stall in the indoor market is . . . . mi mobile, run by two helpful guys who won't rip you off, but sell you want you need, the one which will suit you is by a company called HITS, you can buy the data only sim in 500mb, 1gb, 2 or 3gb, i bought the 3gb its lasted all month and only used 1.5gig so far,

It cost 30euros and has been ultra reliable,

Hope that helps,

Ken
:thumb: :drink::drink:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
We've done the same as Ken and Graham :thumb:

Great deal and good reception.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I used a Europa SIM last year, OK up to a point but go over your data allowance at it empties your account rapidly!! :Smile:

Eurooa SIM gives 500mb per day for 3 euros, I think, how are you going over that ? :ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Europa sim which has worked well but I am on site wi fi here using my I Boost which seems to receive a much stronger signal even though everyone is complaining about how slow the site wi fi is .
Great bit of kit :thumb:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Eurooa SIM gives 500mb per day for 3 euros, I think, how are you going over that ? :ROFLMAO:

I think quickweh is on the very early EuropaSIM tariff which was slightly cheaper at €2/day but only gave 100Mb and cost you if you exceeded that. quickweh if you want to drop me an e-mail (sales[at]motorhomewifi.com I will check your tariff for you). It's now been replaced with €3/day for 'Unlimited' data, but with a 500Mb far use policy which just slows down if you exceed - which is what you have SuperMike :thumb:

Of course, a local SIM may work out cheaper.

Thanks ShifZZ, the campsites in Benidorm have a Dutch population with Wi-Fi masts sucking in the signal. :

It's not so much that they 'suck in the signal', using a WiFi doesn't deprive other people of signal strength - but it does make the WiFi more accessible for those who have a Booster so in essence they use it more which make it slower.

The biggest issue I think Spanish campsites are facing is people watching TV via the internet. I hope that they manage this going forward via a fair usage policy eg 500Mb/day rather than putting up the price to discourage use.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Mike, the best place is the indoor market. There are two stalls. Do not use Andy's go to the other one. Most of the funsters down here at Villasol are using their mifi's with the Hits sim. They do rates for 1,2 & 3 gig.
Graham :thumb:[/QUOTE
Graham is spot on. I followed his advice and I'm now a very happy bunny. Ken, the Scott's guy on the other stall from Andy is more than helpful and will even set up your card to ensure it's working correctly.

You will need your driving lic. or Passport as the card has to registered in your name.
I was on the WiFi at Villasol and it failed me, big time. Managed to get a full refund though.
Happy trails.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
whats been said is the best advice 3gig for 30euro which includes the charge for the sim and the data allowance we all had hits sims at villasol and it was great speed and no problems with it at all any problems leave a message on here for the it man who has now left the villasol crazy gang to their own devices :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
And remember go to andys at your own peril and stay clear of lebara which locks u into a contract for 31 days and any top ups within that time will be charged at normal expensive rates :Smile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
quote It's not so much that they 'suck in the signal', using a WiFi doesn't deprive other people of signal strength - but it does make the WiFi more accessible for those who have a Booster so in essence they use it more which make it slower.

The biggest issue I think Spanish campsites are facing is people watching TV via the internet. I hope that they manage this going forward via a fair usage policy eg 500Mb/day rather than putting up the price to discourage use.

the problems as we were told at villasol is that they have a ordinary router which is repeated throughout the site and they are also using ahora which on its own is crap anyway

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have been using the basic Carrefour system without problem. 1 Euro per day for 100mb at 3G then it slows to 128k but doesn't cut you off.

Carrefour Móvil
Tarifa diaria:
This is the default plan for carrefour data SIM cards, no activation is necessary.
1 euro per day, 100 MB at full 3G speed, thereafter speed is reduced to 128k
You are charged only for the days that you connect.
A 3 euro/month minimum spending applies.

A 'bono 1GB' add on is available:
19 Euro for 30 days, 1GB at full 3G speed, thereafter speed is reduced to 128k
Enable this plan by sending SMS to 22864 with the text ALTA BONO 1GB
Quit the plan by sending BAJA BONO 1GB to 22864
Check the amount of data you have used by sending BONO 1GB to 22864

A 'bono 3GB' add on is also available:
29 Euro for 30 days, 3GB at full 3G speed, thereafter speed is reduced to 128k
Make sure that you have enough balance on your SIM card (at least 35 Euro).
Enable the plan by sending SMS to 22864 with the text ALTA BONO 3GB
Check the amount of data you have used by sending BONO 3GB to 22864 (5 free SMS per month)

SIM card costs 10 Euro, with 5 Euro credit.

OP
OP
quickweh
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Graham ( grasscutter) is absolutely spot on with his advice, most of us learned the hard way, Villasol wifi next to useless due to the reasons you outlined,

The stall in the indoor market is . . . . mi mobile, run by two helpful guys who won't rip you off, but sell you want you need, the one which will suit you is by a company called HITS, you can buy the data only sim in 500mb, 1gb, 2 or 3gb, i bought the 3gb its lasted all month and only used 1.5gig so far,

It cost 30euros and has been ultra reliable,

Hope that helps,

Ken
:thumb: :drink::drink:

The Mi Mobile guy has lost his Spanish partner who has set up just around the corner in the market. So important, the best advice and data sims are still at "mi mobile", my advice is do not use the others.
:Smile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i am hoping to have the europasim acvtive by the time we are at Peterborough or will check it out with mh wifi i still think thats now the best way to go due to the fact it is ok for all of europe

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

There is Plan B, there is ( was ) reasonable WiFi provided throughout Benidorm, can't remember the name but do a scan and you can sign up on line.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Graham (Grasscutter) is right! However, now that a lot of people have left Villasol the campsite WiFi is working reasonably well. My advise is buy 1 days campsite WiFi and if it's OK upgrade to a month as there will be no limits on downloads. Otherwise, it's the indoor market and the Hit's Sim card. there are two guy's on the stall you want, Paul who is Scott's and ? who is Spanish, both will set you up for your needs. suggest you get 3 Gig's worth of data and use it sparingly.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
brian if u mean ahora network thats what i used for 1 day in beni and it was crap :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back