Fitting (and securing) a Microwave (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

On our new? (to us) Hobby there is a divider between the kitchen and bedroom that 'could' hold a microwave.
It's certainly a big enough space for a Microwave and has a supply of electricity. It has slide aside doors both front and rear.It's where you could put a TV (although the last owner fitted the TV immediately under the housing)
Question; How would Funsters secure the Microwave. We've looked at the bottom of a few M/Waves and they all seem to have two stud feet at the front and two metal protrusions at the rear that lift the unit the same height as the studs.
We are well aware of the danger of a 'Flying Microwave' in the case of an accident and wish to secure it firmly into it's housing.
We have had a suggestion of sitting the unit on four 'Blobs' of Sikaflex but would appreciate any other suggestions/remedies.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Greetings,

On our new? (to us) Hobby there is a divider between the kitchen and bedroom that 'could' hold a microwave.
It's certainly a big enough space for a Microwave and has a supply of electricity. It has slide aside doors both front and rear.It's where you could put a TV (although the last owner fitted the TV immediately under the housing)
Question;[HI] How would Funsters secure the Microwave. [/HI]We've looked at the bottom of a few M/Waves and they all seem to have two stud feet at the front and two metal protrusions at the rear that lift the unit the same height as the studs.
We are well aware of the danger of a 'Flying Microwave' in the case of an accident and wish to secure it firmly into it's housing.
We have had a suggestion of sitting the unit on four 'Blobs' of Sikaflex but would appreciate any other suggestions/remedies.

I fitted one in my RV and manufactured a couple of holding straps from perforated metal strip steel.

$(KGrHqVHJEQF!d)u3e3PBQe,RV)CDg~~60_12.JPG

I used the existing screws on the back of the oven and fixed the other ends to the frame of the wall.

Broken Link Removed

I certainly wouldn't trust just a couple of "blobs of Sikaflex" on the feet.. that's asking for trouble.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for that Jim,

The 'problem' with your suggestion, good as it is, is that the Microwave is at 90 degs. to the side of the 'van and as such faces forward.

If it were, with its 'back to the wall' so to speak I see how your idea would work but I haven't got a wall to fasten it to.

Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for that Jim,

The 'problem' with your suggestion, good as it is, is that the Microwave is at 90 degs. to the side of the 'van and as such faces forward.

If it were, with its 'back to the wall' so to speak I see how your idea would work but I haven't got a wall to fasten it to.

Regards

hmm .. I understand..

In that case I'd suggest you forget it and store the oven in a locker or under the bed while traveling .. I know that's not so convenient but as you know. a flying oven could be lethal..

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A length of stainless steel cable (marinas stock it) would attach to the underside of the oven, spiral down the mains flex, then attach to something solid. If there's anything to attach it to near the socket you intend to use of course.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would make a false shelf a very nice fit on the bottom of the cupboard full width, the remove shelf and fix to bottom of microwave with the microwave being central on the new shelf, then put microwave and new shelf back in and screw down to bottom of cupboard:thumb:

That will be two guineas please::bigsmile:

Attachments

• micro.JPG
    micro.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 240

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
When I fitted one, the microwave had 2 screws on each side holding the cover on. I used a piece of angled aluminium as a bracket on each side with longer screws and fixed the brackets through the floor of the unit that it sat on.

I did consider using screws to fix it to the shelf but was concerned that the weight would pull them out. So I used pan head bolts with the bolts up through the floor so they hardly showed out side of the unit the microwave was in.

Screws and sicaflex may be an option to fix the brackets

Lunarman

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Ours sits on a shelf with screws passing through the shelf from underneath and into the four plastic feet.
Never moved so far.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I would make a false shelf a very nice fit on the bottom of the cupboard full width, the remove shelf and fix to bottom of microwave with the microwave being central on the new shelf, then put microwave and new shelf back in and screw down to bottom of cupboard:thumb:

That will be two guineas please::bigsmile:

Hi Geo,

That would be OK if the Microwave had a flat bottom but as previously mentioned it's raised off whatever surface it sits on to allow airflow/cooling.
Where do you propose I attach the 'false' floor to the Microwave if it's only sitting on four small feet/appendages.

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I fitted mine by fixing a couple of pieces of timber battens underneath the microwave with some self tapping screws into the metal body. Then some wood screws through the wooden shelf/cabinet that it sits in into the battens.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Geo,

That would be OK if the Microwave had a flat bottom but as previously mentioned it's raised off whatever surface it sits on to allow airflow/cooling.
Where do you propose I attach the 'false' floor to the Microwave if it's only sitting on four small feet/appendages.

As the posts above and below suggest either through the feet or make new supports with either tube or battens, fitting the false floor first is a lot simpler than fitting it direct into the cupboard and fixing choices abound with a little ingenuity

I suggest the false floor route for two good reasons

1. Its the easiest
2 Saves damaging the bottom of the cupboard with trial and error fixings:thumb:
Can you not remove a panel from the microwave to get inside it

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Can you not remove a panel from the microwave to get inside it

Highly dangerous if you do not know what you are doing, microwave leakage can be a killer, never take an oven apart.

When I was Sharps Parts Distributor for the UK, we were not allowed to supply any other than an aproved Microwave Dealer with spares.

Peter

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i fitted a few using L brackets bought from B&Q. simply place against the side of the microwave, and mark the position of the case screws in the microwave so you can drill precise holes. mark position of microwave on shelf then remove and screw brackets into the shelf under the microwave using marks as a guide. remove the case screws and find a matching number 5mm longer, then position microwave and use new self tapping screws to fasten through your brackets.

if the brackets are white, you dont notice them and the concealed fixings make it a neat job. for more advanced way of doing it remove casing and check for safe positions to drill new fixing points avoiding wires etc

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Highly dangerous if you do not know what you are doing, microwave leakage can be a killer, never take an oven apart.

When I was Sharps Parts Distributor for the UK, we were not allowed to supply any other than an aproved Microwave Dealer with spares.

Peter
never opperate a microwave with the case removed:thumb:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I secured mine by using a ratchet strap around a false shelf base and then screw wing the false base to the existing cupboard ( if this makes sense). :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Peter

Thats my 10% gone for a burton:ROFLMAO:
Trouble with us teccy guys is we assume everyone knows the whats and wherefors:Doh:
I had assumed it would be put back exactly as found

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume your layout is something like the below If so, then I can't see that it would be difficult to secure it in several ways as suggested, as you have good access it seems.

Attachments

• h1.JPG
    h1.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 233
  • h2.JPG
    h2.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 228
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I assume your layout is something like the below If so, then I can't see that it would be difficult to secure it in several ways as suggested, as you have good access it seems.
Surely with that lay-out it would sit on top of the fridge?

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I have gone the other way, removed the microwave which was right up at the back high up, just where you don't need the weight, (12-13KG), mine was secured by a bracket screwed to the base of the cabinet, the bracket had 2 holes in it which the rubber feet dropped into. I've now converted it into an additional storage space with the original power point still there, I've kept all the bits and pieces and it could be put back to original very easily. :thumb:

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
hI aGAIN,

Thanks Minx for posting the pictures. (I can't do that, there's 300miles between van and owner ATM
The second picture just about shows the intended position of the M/Wave except that it will be behind those silver slide around doors at the top of the photo. The space underneath is earmarked for the TV.
To Duece I would agree that on top of the Fridge (as shown) would be a good place but in our van, which seems to share the same floorspace as that shown, (except that ours has single beds), the Fridges place is occupied by a Wardrobe and already sitting on top of that is the cooker. The Fridge in ours is in the kitchen and it's smaller model.
At the minute I'm leaning towards Lunarmans suggestion on Page 1 and The Big1's thoughts on Page 2.
Both incorporate the use of the screws usually found around the base of the casing on the M/Waves. I think in addition (and in the style of Belts and Braces) there may be a dollop of Sikaflex added to each foot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back