LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought a travelling satellite kit from Aldi a few weeks ago. We tried it out at home (Middlesborough) and were able to find Astra OK and tune in to the BBC, ITV etc channels successfully and set up a favourites list.

Today we've tried it for the first time on site (Peterborough) but met problems. We were able to find both Astra satellites OK - on screen meter readings good - and we could receive continental channels OK but the British channels all came up with "No Signal" or "Weak Signal, no pictures or sound.

Anyone have any idea what we were doing wrong? Have the British broadcasters started using another satellite since FreeSat came on stream?

Graham

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
It sounds like you were on the wrong satellite. Most German and other continental channels are on a satellite very slightly clockwise to the Sky satellites.

Phil.

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
I would agree with Phil.

Did you do a new search or did you try to tune in your favourites?

Im up in Banff at the moment. How I tune in is to select my favorites, any channel. Press "Info" press "1" and turn the volume up, and then twiddle the dish. If I'm not tuned in within 1 minute I'm none to pleased.

I have the Aldi, dish mounted on the Aldi lazer level stand at the side of the MH.

I tune in to ASTRA 28 East.

Off subject

This is a really great part of the country and after a few days I'm off to Golspie then over to Scourie, Betty Hill and then on to John O Groats. If the weather stays as it is, this journey could take a month

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User
We bought a travelling satellite kit from Aldi a few weeks ago. We tried it out at home (Middlesborough) and were able to find Astra OK and tune in to the BBC, ITV etc channels successfully and set up a favourites list.

Today we've tried it for the first time on site (Peterborough) but met problems. We were able to find both Astra satellites OK - on screen meter readings good - and we could receive continental channels OK but the British channels all came up with "No Signal" or "Weak Signal, no pictures or sound.

Anyone have any idea what we were doing wrong? Have the British broadcasters started using another satellite since FreeSat came on stream?

Graham

You need to make absolutelly sure your mounting pole is vertical and that is all round.and then set your dish at 22 deg.If the pole is leaning then this will alter the vertical position of your dish.If this happens you probabally will pick up a lot of Arab channels on strong satelites very close to Astra 2 so you need to get it right.Whe you travel down to France or Spain you will see the vertical change from 22 deg up to around 27deg.But you always need to get the vertical position right.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks fellas.

The OSD said I was on Astra 2 but maybe it was tellng fibs if there was another one close by. I didn't check vertical but can do so with the spirit level.

I managed to get analogue on the site booster system and some digial channels through the aerial so all was not lost.

Graham

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I know some people swear by these Sat in a briefcase £45 jobs, but all I ever did was swear at mine. It always worked at home but rarely on site. I put mine in the skip, there was no way it was going to work after I jumped up and down on it after missing a Rugby Six-Nations match one weekend a few years ago.

I know it was my fault, and if I found the satellite it would work, but as Sian is always telling me, I have the patience of a psychopath!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

R

reader

Deleted User
Like Jim I didnt have a lot of luck with mine and I heard about a few people taking them back and getting refunds - I did likewise!!

euro

Free Member
May 23, 2008
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are new to it
Damn, I was just about to invest in one of these after jealously looking at other people watching TV in their vans last weekend :Blush:

Whats the alternative? Is their one?

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
They're less of a problem with a sky box... the sat/stream numbers make it easier to know when you're on the correct sat..

The tuner that came with the suitcase is still in there:winky:

euro

Free Member
May 23, 2008
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are new to it
They're less of a problem with a sky box... the sat/stream numbers make it easier to know when you're on the correct sat..

The tuner that came with the suitcase is still in there:winky:

Thats good news then. I was planning to hook up to my Sky + box anyway. :thumb:

Now to find me one.....

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Don't know if the + is any different.... I just have the bog std sky.....

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, is Sky on Astra 28E?

I want to take my sky+ to France and Spain, the question is - which sends the signal to Sky? the receiver (we can leave an older receiver connected to the telephone line) or the card - which we obviously want to take with us?

Will Sky+ still record with only one lead attached? I know we wont be able to watch a different channel whilst we are recording.

Ginny

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi, is Sky on Astra 28E?

I want to take my sky+ to France and Spain, the question is - which sends the signal to Sky? the receiver (we can leave an older receiver connected to the telephone line) or the card - which we obviously want to take with us?

Will Sky+ still record with only one lead attached? I know we wont be able to watch a different channel whilst we are recording.

Ginny

Yes. Sky is on Astra 28E.

You don't need to leave any receiver connected to the telephone line.

Yes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back