ford transit engine malfunction light (1 Viewer)

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This light came on yesterday , i think after we went up a hill covered in gravel , may have had some wheel spin , any ideas anyone ?.

we are in sidi ifni , morocco ,

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
There are lots of things that can cause this to come on, some can be lived with some more serious. They are usually somewhere around the engine management system. Sometimes it means that the emission controls are not working as they should but the engine continues with a sort of "average" setting that is OK.

Are there any other symptoms? eg loss of power?

This has happened twice to me in different vans (both Peugeots). In the first I also lost power and eventually a dealer in france diagnosed the problem but couldn't get spares and advised me to drive it home (slowly!)

In the second I drove it back to England, there were no other symptoms and no problems as a result.

If no other symptoms I would say carry on driving it until you are back in spain and then find a ford dealer who can plug in the diagnostic system.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Network Ford in Morocco

If all else fails.. May be of help..

Ford is distributed through the branch network of Auto-Hall present in 15 major cities of the kingdom.

Completely modernized, these branches have showrooms welcoming store spare parts and fully equipped workshops to better satisfy our customers.

If for any reason you cannot load the page, give me your nearest town/city and I'll find the closest Ford Agent.

Edit

just read the OP again.. your nearest Ford Agent is in

Agadir

Rue De la Foire

tele 05 28 84 80 96

email autohall.agadir@autohall.ma

Google map

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Where are you Graeme?
Do you want me to ask Mustafa if he has a contact with the Ford diagnostic computer?
He organised a chap last year with. A Mercedes Star computer last year for us if you remember.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Have you got any insulation tape ?

Cut a 1" length and place over warning light.

Job jobbed :Smile:

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Ours has come on a few times (hubby's a mechanic). We've got an '07 2.4tdci.

The first time we were on the M25 heading to the tunnel on holiday. It seemed to run ok except for being more smokey than usual and a bit heavier on fuel. The light went out when we were on our way home (after about 1000 miles).

Downloaded the fault codes and its referred to EGR valve. He removed it and cleaned/lubricated it. Water had been running onto it from the bulkhead.

We've also replace the mass air flow sensor.

We now carry the diagnostic tool with us. We went to France at the end of December and the light came on before we left town. Paul put it out and it stayed out.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
We had the light come on in ours a couple of years ago. Called the RAC and they put their scanner on to it, turned the engine over and the light had gone out. The scanner code was for an EGR fault. The technician reckoned that it had probably cleared itself by blowing a bit of muck from the system on the restart.

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
hi. had the same thing happen on my van last week. made no difference to power or anything else, started van a couple of days later, light gone off. I think these engine management systems can be a little over cautious sometimes. the light will probably go off in its own time:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the MIL (malfunction indicator light) can come on for many reasons but they do come on for a reason.

Even if the light goes off on its own its still logged a fault in the ECU memory and early diagnosis of the fault could save a lot of money in the long run.

Every chance it was just a temporary blip but really does need the code reading and diagnosing.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Sticking egr valves are the most common thing. Early cleaning can save them getting really gunged. Some models can be blanked, others need a blanking cap with a small hole. Later DPF models cannot be blanked as the mil light will come on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SUGGY

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We are on the road , light stayed off for a few engine start up then came on again ,

the diagnostic still says egr but seems ok ,

Rachid rang agadir ford , they told him best ford place is in casablanca , may call there on the way back ,

thankyou everyone for all your help n tips , :Smile:

i did contact ADAC all i got was recorded messages in german .......

even the membership number answered in german

i got through on one number , he answered in german took my membership number transfered me to another number who did not speak english and cancelled my call ...:Eeek:,

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi suggy, if your egr is playing up then cleaning may help in short term but its likely that the whole inlet manifold and mass air flow/pressure sensor would benefit from cleaning.. again in the longer term you can get engine remappers to delete the egr function and then have it blanked.. if its a mk7 that is, as you cant just blank them on these models without creating problems....the ford transit forum has a load of information on this problem. hope you get sorted and enjoy your trip. ta andy

OP
OP
SUGGY

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Rachid and his mate tookthe valve and all the pipe work off , it was 1/8" thick in carbon n crap , they cleaned out everything , took off the fuel filter n refilled it with petes uk diesel , cos the codes said there was water present , think the diesel here is not very clean n pure ,

I have only had thus van 4 months and have been experiencing low power on setting off , often stalling it , codes say the throttle and the engine are not working together until revs get higher wich probably explains why i keep getting wheel spins , thats why they advised taking it to cassablanca , :Smile:

shoud be cheaper than uk ...

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
My mate had a Chausson with big bhp on a transit. Ford told him the EGR valve had shitted up cos he didn't use the van enough. It had done 15k - he had the erg taken out and blanked off

OP
OP
SUGGY

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Good point , my van is a 2009 less than17,000 miles when bought in September ,

now nearly 21,000ml ,

it is the 2.2 140 hp version but dosent t feel like it when setting off ...

I let the mechanic have a try and he kept stalling it :Eeek:

just have to see how we go , :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back