Edinburgh Site - Rugby (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Heading down for the Scotland game next weekend. Any tips on local take aways or pubs near the Caravan Club site at Marine Drive? Any tips for getting back out of the Murrayfield area as well. Last time we went into the centre and struggled to get a taxi at about 22:00.
Thanks

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi gordon,I regret to say the nearst pub and take away is about a mile away and would not go anywere near that area after dark.The one mile walk is via the unlit main rd, there is allso a warning in the reception area not to use that area after dark.You could give the site warden a call.

Adam b

Free Member
Jul 3, 2013
South queensferry
Funster No
MH
Auto cruise carrera4
Exp
You should be made welcome in Silverknowes golf club about a mile away, but I would give the local pubs a miss, loads of bars around Murrayfield & a great atmosphere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Been many a time to the rugby and it is always a great day out. Just struggled a couple of times to get a taxi back later in the evening so was thinking of heading back a bit earlier than normal. We might try the golf club. Thanks

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
There is a new shortcut along a path at the side of the playing fields behind the site straight to a bus stop, cuts 10/15 mins or more off the walk to the bus. We took small torches with us in December - had no problems walking back about at near midnight.
There are late night buses on the route so you should have no problem getting back to the site by bus.
Enjoy the match!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
There's a lovely wee CL at Damhead just near the ski slope, its less than 10mins walk either way to a pub or the other way to Frankie and bennies. We tend to use this site all the time now when going to Edinburgh

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Win or lose, I'd happily buy you a beer after the game and discuss the finer points of how it went:Smile:

Likewise Gordan, likewise. Which is why Rugby is the greatest sport on the Earth, the fans:thumb:

Unfortunately I will only be there in spirit as I will be watching it on TV, but one day!

Regards

Eddie

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
There's a lovely wee CL at Damhead just near the ski slope, its less than 10mins walk either way to a pub or the other way to Frankie and bennies. We tend to use this site all the time now when going to Edinburgh

:thumb: Agreed, much nicer than the big site.

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Likewise Gordan, likewise. Which is why Rugby is the greatest sport on the Earth, the fans:thumb:

Unfortunately I will only be there in spirit as I will be watching it on TV, but one day!

Regards

Eddie

See Gordon,either an English fireside or the Scottish countryside, hopefully like the game no contest for us Scots.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Think we might give Damhead a try next week, given what happened near to the Marine Drive CC entrance/seafront last week. Even with torches and the shortcut Margaret's not convinced it's a good idea in the dark, although we've never had any problems in all the times we've stayed at the CC site and had to walk back in the dark.

How far is it to the park and ride at Damhead and how late does it run at night? We're going up to Edinburgh next week again and this might be a better option.

Bill

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Bill

I can give you the exact walking times as Sophie being a teenager wanted the shortest walk :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if you come out the Cl and turn left for Damhead its about 8mins walk there is no pavement for most of it but its a very quite road and we normally just carry a small torch. We have ate in the pub a few times and although nothing fancy its always been nice, you can get several different busses from there to the city centre some go direct some take about 40 mins but a nice we sight seeing tour.

If you come out the gate and turn right I think it took us 10mins to the P and R but there is a bus stop before there at the road end, this road is part pavement part road just like the other way, the bus from here gets you into town much quicker as its just direct and as far as I'm aware the busses for both stops run up to and past midnight.

In the morning when turning right the large sainsburys is at the end of the road so ideal for rolls and papers and if you walk a little further you can go to the retail park which has a few food outlets.

The couple who own the cl are mr and mrs Fergusson very nice couple and really helpful, the CL doesn't have a shower but it has a very clean WC also has water point esplanade point and hook up so really has everything you need.

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Just looked at Mortonhall Caravan Park 17.50 a night and No 11 bus passes the door from Princes street apparently.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Heading down for the Scotland game next weekend. Any tips on local take aways or pubs near the Caravan Club site at Marine Drive? Any tips for getting back out of the Murrayfield area as well. Last time we went into the centre and struggled to get a taxi at about 22:00.
Thanks

We were on the club site last week. The wardens told us a woman was raped on the footpath, just near the site 2 says earlier, so we drove the mile or so to the Toby Inn at the top of the road as the buses no longer run past the site.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
clipped.......... as the buses no longer run past the site.
Unfortunately, they haven't done so for some years now. :cry: It was a great service before then. :Sad:

Regards,

Jock.

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Judging by the replies, there will be a few of us Scots at the game. Keep waving so Eddie and his gang see us on the telly.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks to Gerry and Trikimiki for your replies and advice:thumb: We've always stayed at the CC in Marine Drive in the past, but given what's happened last week it's a bit of a worry now. We've always walked round the road in the dark and not really worried about it, only once did we ever meet someone else......they were heading for the Almond House hostel up from the CC site.

Even with torches we wouldn't use the shortcut in the dark, so will let you know where we end up.

Thanks again, Bill

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Judging by the replies, there will be a few of us Scots at the game. Keep waving so Eddie and his gang see us on the telly.

The last time Bill and I went to a rugby match was when Scotland were playing Wales at the old Murrayfield ground.........the Welsh fans all had giant leeks sticking out of their jacket pockets.......I can still remember the smell of those leeks!:roflmto:

Great fans the Welsh........we all ended up in the pub together, what a fantastic atmosphere it was :thumb: That was way back in 1975.........

Margaret

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
The last time Bill and I went to a rugby match was when Scotland were playing Wales at the old Murrayfield ground.........the Welsh fans all had giant leeks sticking out of their jacket pockets.......I can still remember the smell of those leeks!:roflmto:

Great fans the Welsh........we all ended up in the pub together, what a fantastic atmosphere it was :thumb: That was way back in 1975.........

Margaret

the only leaks now are in the scottish defence :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We have been on the site for four weeks now (minus the two days away after 21 days! CC rule no.?) We have the car with us so haven't used the buses but walked to Murrayfield to meet our sons as they finished the Marathon. it can be walked using the old railway paths and is about 4 miles. Look at it on google maps for the way.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back