Which pc Tablet for a 4 year old (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I know ! What does a 4 year old want with a tablet , that`s what I used to think.

My 4 year old has been using my RIM playbook for a year now and can make it talk and I am amazed what he does with it , I don`t understand it all :whatthe:

The thing is , computers like it or not , will be the beginning and end all in 12 years time or more, so to have a job he will have to be pc literate .

He seems to be interested in the way a pc works so if I am going to try and teach him for the future , which would be the format likely to be still around in the future -- Android / Windows / Rim / Apple -----

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I bought the Tesco Hudl for our daughter, for the money it is absolutely superb. (insisted on the purple one) A serious bit of kit for the price. The screen is great and very responsive and its currently winning loads of awards and getting great reviews. :thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I know ! What does a 4 year old want with a tablet, that`s what I used to think. /QUOTE]

Don't apologise, our youngest grandson was 3 last Sunday and he's been using one for 6 months at least. :whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ask Moses.. if anyone knows he does.. .. did he not bring one down the mountain .. :winky:

as for kids and technology.. my dad bought me a carpenters tool kit when what I really wanted was a Meccano set :cry:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
You are quite right, but it is not going to be a requirement in the future, it is a requirement NOW. There are very few jobs these days that don't assume at least a minimal ability with a computer. During my working life I have seen a progression from employers training people to use computers and paying more to those who could do so, to the stage where it is now expected that everyone will do so as the norm.
Even applying for a job these days will require the ability to use a computer whereas in 'our day' we would have to show our ability to write a legible and correctly worded letter.

So, whether we like it or not computers are here to stay.

Wyn

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The Samsung tablets are built very well and would be usable by you also. They have GPS so can be used as a satnav also. We use a 10.1" tab2

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Don't bother with a kindle fire hd

Can't get you tube to play

Can't get a different browser

It's android but cut down for amazons benefit

I've now gone back to my I pad

I can read the mail better on that two

My choice would be I pad mini

After my time with this kindle

Others will say different I'm sure

Best bet is try them all in the shops

Then buy on line or tell the shop what you can get it for online

Never know they may match the price

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
You are quite right, but it is not going to be a requirement in the future, it is a requirement NOW. There are very few jobs these days that don't assume at least a minimal ability with a computer. During my working life I have seen a progression from employers training people to use computers and paying more to those who could do so, to the stage where it is now expected that everyone will do so as the norm.
Even applying for a job these days will require the ability to use a computer whereas in 'our day' we would have to show our ability to write a legible and correctly worded letter.

So, whether we like it or not computers are here to stay.

Wyn

Agree, four year olds are now teaching their teachers. They learn much quicker at this, are inquisitive, if you want them to lead and not follow, give them something decent. We need them to teach us.

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
My grandchildren aged 9 and 7 received Hudls for Christmas, they are a great bit of kit.:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My 9 year old daughter has an iPad.

Her and her friends keep recording dance videos and putting them on youtube:Doh:

They then encourage family members to give them repeated " hits".

I never thought I would buy a young child this sort of thing but I guess it's the future.

Just in the process of buying a running machine though and she is going to be forced to use it.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hudl is great for the money, tough enough for kids with a case/cover & you won't worry about it as much as an iPad! As mentioned before it gets great reviews including from Which - cheapest Best Buy tablet option by far:
"If you want a tablet for simple tasks such as browsing the internet, keeping on top of emails and watching video, this will suit you well. With its tough rubber and plastic design, it's also suitable for families.
What is it?
The Hudl is a seven-inch Android tablet. Priced at £119, it's designed to compete against the likes of the Google Nexus 7 and Amazon Kindle Fire tablets.
What's it like to use?
Despite the bargain price tag, this tablet does a good job. Tesco has equipped it with a decent specification inside and out to ensure it can stand up to rivals.
The 1,440x900-pixel resolution screen is clear and sharp with bright colours and only some fading when you take it outside in bright daylight. Technically the Nexus does have a better screen with a higher resolution, but we don't think you'll be disappointed with the Hudl's display, especially for the money.
The 1.6GHz processor is fast enough to keep pace when you're surfing the internet or watching a film.
The Hudl has plenty of useful ports and connections - not things you'll find on either the Nexus or the popular iPad mini. It has an HDMI output so that you can hook it up to a bigger screen such as your TV, along with a micro-SD card slot for expanding the memory.
We were pleased to see that Tesco-specific content is kept to a reasonable level. The 'Tesco T' app at the bottom left of the screen gives you access to your Clubcard statement and TV content from Blinkbox, as well as letting you place orders with Tesco online.
Tesco wants this to be a tablet for all the family. This is reflected in the sturdy design with the easy-to-grip rubber back and bright colours. But some thought has been put into keeping your children safe online too - it recommends Kid Lock & Kid Mode, which let you set up separate accounts with restricted access to apps and content - this should stop little fingers accidentally downloading pricey apps and games.
What's the battery like?
The battery life isn't bad for a small tablet. You'll get approximately two hours from a half-hour charge.
On a full tank it will last for more than 10 hours when playing video, or just under nine when browsing the web. This is enough to last you through the day without having to plug it in - not bad for a cheap tablet.
Is there anything I should watch out for?
The touchscreen can seem slow and it certainly isn't the quickest to flick between portrait and landscape as you change the screen orientation.
Although the rubber back and choice of colours make the Hudl feel family friendly, it means it loses out to the likes of the Nexus in the style stakes. It's not quite as svelte as the new Nexus 7 - it's a little heavier and bulkier.
The sound produced from the built-in speakers isn't great - but that's normal for a tablet.
Is there anything else I should know?
If you trade in £60-worth of Clubcard vouchers you can get the Hudl without handing over any cash, thanks to the Tesco Boost scheme when this offer is on.
Should I buy it?
If you're on a budget or want a simple device for all the family, this is a safe bet.
Pros: Cheap, good screen, HDMI port, micro-SD port, fast enough for web and video
Cons: Bulkier and inferior screen compared with Nexus 7, not quite as speedy as rivals
Launch date: Sep 2013
Which? score: 76%
Typical price
£119.00
Specification 2013
Screen size (inches) 7.0
Claimed storage size (GB) 16.0
Web browsing 5 stars
Touchscreen response 4 stars
Battery 5 stars "

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know ! What does a 4 year old want with a tablet , that`s what I used to think.

That is one good question.

I've seen the mindless things my grandchildren do on them. For the grandson violent aggressive games or football. For the girls how to make them fit into the pretty stereotype of the day.

Nothing that seems to benefit them.

Poking a finger at a tablet might impress olde fartes but is it doing anything with long term benefit ? Do you think people will be able to feed themselves by poking tablets ? I'm not so sure.

It's like giving the a car in a great big field in the belief they will become good drivers.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
My dad has just bought my mum a tesco Hudl and it seems a very good bit of kit, I have know idea what my mum will do with it as she is not into technology in the slightest. As an example she turned 75 last week and has never used a cash line machine and never will she says.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I have a hudl and find it great bought one for son in law for Christmas and he finds it good also as for a 4 year old yea would think it should be fine
As an aside my daughter has an iPad and 2.5 year old grandson quite often face times his granny all by himself and can find all his games easy as anything, can work it better then me as I can't stand iPad

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
for anyone who has children/grandchildren

using computers and gaming consoles at such a young age can affect their eyesight, apparently it is one of the leading reasons for the increase in short sightedness over recent years.

Please make sure they use them sparingly.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

using computers and gaming consoles at such a young age can affect their eyesight, apparently it is one of the leading reasons for the increase in short sightedness over recent years.

Not sure if computers do as every sight test our son has had growing up I've tried to get the optician to warn him that too much gaming on the pc is bad for his eyes but none of them thought it was a problem! He is 15 now & has had excellent sight so far so maybe it is just a myth...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Just showed my wife this and predictably she has freaked.

Daughter will now be using iPad sparingly::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My 9 year old daughter has an iPad.

Her and her friends keep recording dance videos and putting them on youtube:Doh:
They then encourage family members to give them repeated " hits".

I never thought I would buy a young child this sort of thing but I guess it's the future.
Just in the process of buying a running machine though and she is going to be forced to use it.
Hope she is not going to be the only family member using the running machine.:winky:
My son in the US has recently got himself a running machine, he has it set up in front of his TV so now Skype's me while running. He is trying to talk me into getting one, I can see it now, skype to skype on the big screen on our running machines. :Blush: :roflmto:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hope she is not going to be the only family member using the running machine.:winky:
My son in the US has recently got himself a running machine, he has it set up in front of his TV so now Skype's me while running. He is trying to talk me into getting one, I can see it now, skype to skype on the big screen on our running machines. :Blush: :roflmto:

::bigsmile:

The plan is we will all use it.

My wife was at John Lewis last week trying them all out.

Just need to clear the garage out:Doh:

My brother has a huge house with a basement room decked out as a gym with machines and weights etc . I have tried to explain to my wife that our space is significantly more limited but I am not sure it is sinking in.

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
My son in the US has recently got himself a running machine,
[HI]he has it set up in front of his TV so now Skype's me while running[/HI]. He is trying to talk me into getting one, I can see it now, skype to skype on the big screen on our running machines. :Blush: :roflmto:

Skype while running :Eeek:

I`m going to get one fitted in the loo, so I can dump and chat :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
::bigsmile:

The plan is we will all use it.

My wife was at John Lewis last week trying them all out.

Just need to clear the garage out:Doh:

My brother has a huge house with a basement room decked out as a gym with machines and weights etc . I have tried to explain to my wife that our space is significantly more limited but I am not sure it is sinking in.
I have tried to explain to my son setting the runner up in front of the telly is no big deal to him. He is single.:Smile:
I think we could have a new fad here, communal running machines via Skype. :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If you do not go running without a machine what makes you think you would use one instead?

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If you do not go running without a machine what makes you think you would use one instead?

I looked at one last year , then realized , I don`t like running and am just interested in gadgets of all sorts.
I would have bought it , used it a few times to see how it worked and put it in the garage to store.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back