Inverter Isolater switch (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
I have a 500watt inverter which I would like to connect direct to my battery bank.
BUT how do I go about isolating it,and what isolated switch would I need.:Doh:
Any help please.

And use only simple terms,I have my blonde,blue eyed,thickos head on.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it wont need an isolator....just use the on/off switch.
as long as the switch is off it uses no power.

If you cant access the switch when installed you could use a 100amp relay in the battery live wire with an illuminated rocker switch in a convenient position.
connect the battery live to the one of large terminals on the relay then from the second large terminal to the inverter positive and wire a switch to the small spade terminals.
Wire switch between battery pos and one terminal on the relay then from the the other relay terminal to earth

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-4-PIN-100-AMP-RELAY-HEAVY-DUTY-SPLIT-CHARGE-CHARGING-12-VOLT-BOAT-KIT-CAR-/221192058305?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item338012f5c1

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Steve,

Have a read Link Removed for JeanLuc's excellent article on fitting a small inverter. Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Steve,

Have a read Link Removed for JeanLuc's excellent article on fitting a small inverter. Hope this helps.

a pictures worth a thousand words......:thumb:

The diagram of what i wrote

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-27-20-22-08.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-27-20-22-08.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 150

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have an inverter permanently wired to the battery. Generally, I use the on / off switch, but when I am not going to use it for a while, I will isolate the pos wire with one of these..

batteryisolator.jpg

Halford sell them but they are available in other places.

Allan

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Inverter Isolation

Hi
Many thanks to Pappajohn and Taran Las, thats great just what I was looking for:thumb:

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Hi Red Dragon, I have looked at the wiring layout in the above thread and although that system will work fine, IMO it seems a bit over the top. I don't wish to offend anyone but why not keep a simple job just that..simple.
I too have fitted a 1500w pure sine inverter, I have incorporated a 80A maxi fuse in the supply to the inverter, close to the battery as recommended, I have also incorporated a Battery Isolator Switch ( http://bit.ly/1f7lUXV ), between the fuse and the inverter. I have fitted this so as to be able to isolate the inverter if needed and is readily accessible, being mounted to the base unit of the lounge seating area. I also fitted a CBE single gang 240v socket directly below the Isolator. The socket is supplied by the inverter via a standard 13a plug with a short flex wired directly in to the rear of the CBE socket.
This way, the inverter is turned On/Off using the Battery Isolator switch, there is no leaving it turned on by mistake as the large red key used is clearly visible. When isolated, the key is removed and no chance of accidental activation and subsequent risk of running down battery.
At the end of the day, if the job can be done with the least number of components to go wrong, then, why not keep it simple, and less wire runs.
Only my view, if any pics are required I'll gladly snap and post.
:Blush:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
For me the best course was to buy an inverter that has a remote switch like the Sterling 1000watt and above. My inverter is in the garage but the switch in the kitchen will turn it on/off

Example Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Sorry wickload, I have to laugh (not at you I hasten to add)

You say, "why make a job harder than it needs to be" then go on to explain something that complicated for the average Jo like my self and I'm sure he won't mind me saying red dragon.

Steve, I have a Stirling with a remote switch. Simple to fit job done :Smile:

I have the same one as in the eBay link above, works great.

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you do go the Sterling route Steve BEWARE the newer stock only has a 6 metre cable so check with the vendors if you might need 10 metres like they used to be. I used almost 10 myself

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Isolation

Ha Ha i think I need some of the above:Doh:
Cheers Guys if nothing else I have all I need to install an inverter. THANKS

Paul thanks for rescuing me in my "Dumb Blonde Moment"
I like Electricity, but the trickery(tricity) is beyond my grey cells:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Sorry wickload, I have to laugh (not at you I hasten to add)

You say, "why make a job harder than it needs to be" then go on to explain something that complicated for the average Jo like my self and I'm sure he won't mind me saying red dragon.

Steve, I have a Stirling with a remote switch. Simple to fit job done :Smile:

I have the same one as in the eBay link above, works great.

Hi haganap, I would actually agree with you, as papajon said, a picture paints a thousand words. I was almost there trying to explain the picture of the set up I had in my mind. It doesn't always work out the way you intend though hey?:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back