LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks to a member here, for an excellent price we bought a 2 x 6kg gaslow system.

Dealer going to pop it in (my female logic pop means a 10 minute job lol). Along with the not to mentioned rear repair (remember that wall that leaped onto us?)

He did mention that legislation has now changed meaning all gas rubber hoses should be changed to stainless steel. Luckily most of our hoses are already SS.
But I thought of all you funsters driving around with yer rubber, :Eeek:
would this be flagged up on the annual hab checks? I'm presuming a gas safety check is part of a hab check?

Apparently gas rubber hoses only have a safety life of 5 years, how old are yours?

we've put our 2 light weight propane bottles for sale in classified here:thumb:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi Dawn,

I would say that it is probably worth changing that one to a stainless to match all the rest. They aren't cheap but don't leach residue into the gas and also are a bit better at being a bit bendy.

Hope that helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Dawn,

I would say that it is probably worth changing that one to a stainless to match all the rest. They aren't cheap but don't leach residue into the gas and also are a bit better at being a bit bendy.

Hope that helps

Agreed. On a serious note all our gaslow pipes are stainless steel and I would have no other. :thumb:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks David it's on their to do list. He's going to fit the filler thing too. Can't wait to get the van back and hit the road...

Oh and guess what's in my oven?!

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Maybe, papa john they do have a tenancy to talk bolloickanise.

As to the work, don't think so because we only had one rubber hose and it did need replacing. He's not charging to fit it, my big blue eyes and a lemon drizzle cake came in handy. :thumb:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
That is why they have the date down the side of them

Yes I know that, ours was out of date so was due to be replaced but he's saying those rubber hoses don't now meet legislation and will have to be replaced with SS.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe, papa john they do have a tenancy to talk bolloickanise.

As to the work, don't think so because we only had one rubber hose and it did need replacing. He's not charging to fit it, my big blue eyes and a lemon drizzle cake came in handy. :thumb:

I fully agree they should be changed at regular intervals and stainless steel will be more robust than rubber.

My point is he is telling you it is now a legal requirement to fit stainless, which of course are far more expensive, so as well as giving you false info, he is also making more profit on the cost of the hose at your expense.

I know he cannot show you any legislation because there isnt any and he's simply playing on your lack of knowledge to make a sale.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks pappa john I'll tackle him about that when I get the van back next month. I'm happy to have stainless steel anyway for obvious reasons but I really don't understand why men try and pull a fast one us ladies.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Well as he's pulling a fast one have a google for the lowest price and make him match it at least :Angry:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks David it's on their to do list. He's going to fit the filler thing too. Can't wait to get the van back and hit the road...

Oh and guess what's in my oven?!

Not a large bun, I hope.....

.......based on the recent conversation with Martin I would suggest something large and cake like! If it is a lemon one then you're off the Christmas list:winky:

I missed the legal requirement bit - I think you're being fed an unhealthy diet of BS.....

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Well as he's pulling a fast one have a google for the lowest price and make him match it at least :Angry:

Think he said either £35 or £25, can't remember :Doh:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We are also having a pure sine inverter fitted to our single leisure battery, best get my research hat on because I was just believing him:cry:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Doesn't, wether you use a rubber pipe or not depend on where your gas regulator valve is?

Valve on bottle - rubber (low pressure)
Valve in locker - metal (high pressure)

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Doesn't, wether you use a rubber pipe or not depend on where your gas regulator valve is?

Valve on bottle - rubber (low pressure)
Valve in locker - metal (high pressure)

I know I'm blond but... How does the valve being in the locker affect the pressure?

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'll stick to what I know...better go drizzle that lemon cake..

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Im bald, but I am confused as well. Surely if the bottles there will be a small amount of movement, which the rubber hose will absorb, metal will eventually deform, and leak. Or are you talking a fixed LPG tank?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Im bald, but I am confused as well. Surely if the bottles there will be a small amount of movement, which the rubber hose will absorb, metal will eventually deform, and leak. Or are you talking a fixed LPG tank?

The stainless pipes are corrugated on the inside and sheathed with stainless "weave" on the outside and designed to be very flexible. We used to use 8" diameter ones of the same design for Refrigerated liquid propane (-43 deg C or F) in ship to ship transfers. Absolutely brilliant and one reason why I got Gaslow stainless flexibles

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

I was advised at my last hab check that my rubber hose was past its 'use by date'. No mention of requirement for steel tubing but I opted for it myself. It is a flexible braided tube - not rigid. I opted for one with a handwheel so no more messing with spanners. Be sure you get the correct length as different sizes are available.

Wyn

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This will help Michael :thumb:

Link Removed

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I know I'm blond but... How does the valve being in the locker affect the pressure?

Valve on bottle means gas comes out of bottle at low pressure (use rubber).

Valve fixed in locker means gas leaves bottle at high pressure (use metal).

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I always understood that the recommendation for changing gas rubber hose, whatever its condition, was 5 years. Its dated so easy to check. So that part is true, but stainless steel by legislation, I've not heard about that.

I've always avoided SS gas hoses, I wouldn't want to buy something that will last 20 years on a van I'll probably sell in under 5, the life of rubber. That said I now have SS on a Gaslow system and its OK, though I do miss the easy visual check that you can give rubber but I suppose the SS is so much better its not as important.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back