Campsites Dorset and Hampshire (1 Viewer)

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We are hoping to spend Easter in either of the above counties - any recommendations for good sites for pubs (in walking distance of the site), walking, house/gardens to see?

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Blue pool is a nice area to walk, team room, the colour of the water in the pool is brilliant, somewhere near Wareham

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
http://www.masonsarmsodcombe.co.uk/

The Masons Arms, Lower Odcombe, just outside Yeovil. Technically it's Somerset rather than Dorset, but only just.

Brew their own beer on the premises, good food, dog friendly (which means you need to be too, even if you don't have your own dogs). Pub has own campsite behind the pub. Some hard standings, EHU if required.
Level pitches, but the site itself is on a steep hill. The pub is in the middle of an old village, so the entrance to the pub car park & the campsite is quite tight - they don't take caravans for that reason, so no big RVs. Care needed if cars are parked opposite the entrance.

Montacute House is in the next village. Easter is a bit later this year, so the gardens should be as much of an attraction as the house by then.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/montacute-house which also has links to other places to see in the area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
What a shame The Masons Arms looks great but is C&CC only site:Sad:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Hmm, you're right, it does suggest that on their website, but as it says it's a Certified site & has 8 EHUs in the same sentence (Certified site only allowing 5 vans), I think you can conclude that it's effectively two sites in (almost) one. Not the first pub to have an arrangement like that.

It so happens that I am a C&CC member, but I don't remember the subject of membership being mentioned when we went there at Christmas.

Might be worth a phone call to discover the exact situation - although sometimes it's better not to ask these questions! :Smile:

Last edited:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
We are hoping to spend Easter in either of the above counties - any recommendations for good sites for pubs (in walking distance of the site), walking, house/gardens to see?

:thumb:
www.southlytchettmanor.co.uk/

Bus stop ( Poole/Wareham ) outside the gate........discounts for local pub ?? 10 mins walk, last year it was free bottle wine:roflmto:
Nice site.

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Quite a few cl's have more than 5 hook up points, they claim it allows for change overs.....being cynical I see that as extra pitches when no one is looking:Smile:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
... & of course tents want hook-ups these days too & as I understand it, tents are additional to the 5 van limit. :Smile:

There is a pub in Yorkshire that has a large rectangular field behind the pub. There is a wire fence (hardly counts as a fence really, but it's enough to be visible) that runs down the middle towards the only gate, stopping about 20 yards short. They run the water to two taps, one each side of the fence.

So that is now two fields. One side is CC, the other side is C&CC. Apparently it was the separate water taps that made it possible!

Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If it's any help, we've stayed at the masons arms twice in the past, as it's only up the road from where we live, they've never checked our membership. Just showed us our pitch and we've paid in the pub later with dinner. Great food & great beer highly recommended.

:thumb:

Diamondcub

Free Member
May 17, 2013
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
Travels

I spent an enjoyable time at Longleat and the National trust site at Stourhead house and magnificent gardens, Stourhead also has 5 EHU camping bays.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
... & of course tents want hook-ups these days too & as I understand it, tents are additional to the 5 van limit. :Smile:

There is a pub in Yorkshire that has a large rectangular field behind the pub. There is a wire fence (hardly counts as a fence really, but it's enough to be visible) that runs down the middle towards the only gate, stopping about 20 yards short. They run the water to two taps, one each side of the fence.

So that is now two fields. One side is CC, the other side is C&CC. Apparently it was the separate water taps that made it possible!

That wouldn't be the Pheasant by any chance?:winky:
We were going to stay there, but they don't have hard standings so we ended up over at the CC.

Great little pub, spent many good nights in there.......

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
That wouldn't be the Pheasant by any chance?:winky:
No. Where is the Pheasant? (Big county, Yorkshire).

No, it was the Venture Inn, Garton-on-the-Wolds, near Driffield. Sadly, the pub is now closed, I believe, although the campsite still operates via the village shop.

I stayed there on a number of occasions when visiting customers. Very convenient, because, being a pub site, there was no problem arriving later than at most sites, together with a pint before bedtime.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
We've stayed at South Lytchett Manor 3 times and consider it our favourite site.

Lovely site friendly owners

enjoy

tedontour

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
van conversion autocruise
Exp
since 1976
ullwell cottage,swanage pub on site as well as swimming pool.bus outside site enjoy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back