Ile de Re (1 Viewer)

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
Thinking of making Ile de Re our destination for June/July this year, has anyone stayed there? Your hints tips and recommendations would be most welcome please :thumb:

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
we stayed there for a few days back in 2012 on the way back from Biarritz. there are plenty of campsites but many are the big impersonal holiday resorts so we stayed at the municipal one at St Martin, the main town. for the time we were there it suited us - it's a short walk into the town and plenty of eating and drinking places around the nice harbour area.

campsite - http://www.saint-martin-de-re.fr/en/information/30580/camping-municipal

the island is dead flat and there are dedicated cycleways everywhere so if you have bikes take them

it's a nice island overall

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I can also recommend the municipal site in St Martin, and although their are plenty of great eatery's in the town, the place on the site is very good and very reasonable. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
I can also recommend the municipal site in St Martin, and although their are plenty of great eatery's in the town, the place on the site is very good and very reasonable. :thumb:

agree about the place on site - very good and a reasonable price. the pizzas we had were HUGE - my wife couldn't finish hers...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Another vote for the Municipal at St Martin..Pitch up there are you can cycle the whole island. Very easy even for a novice, flat and many dedicated cycle lanes...:thumb:

Ps.. In case you did not know there is a toll to pay :winky:
June would also be better before the Froggies break up for their hols...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My ex's family lived there so I had many great summers on the Island.

This is the campsite I use when I visit.

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=46.18...aKICk1CYioUDWY3RA3kMhA&cbp=12,344.31,,0,13.38

Its at La Flotte and the landlady is very friendly and helpful. It is a few minutes walk to the beach and a very pleasant walk to Dock which is surrounded by some good eateries. It is on the cycle path.

While you are there you have to visit the salt farms and go to the Lighthouses. Look out for the Donkeys in their trousers as well :ROFLMAO:

Oh and go to the Market at La Flotte..

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
These were the toll charges for the bridge for 2013 ...
For cars / motor caravans:
> Winter season (12/09 to 19/06 included): €8
> Summer season (20/06 to 11/09 included): €16

You only pay going on to the Island but they let you escape out again for free!

We stayed at Les Varennes ACSI site.

At that time of the year I would probably book in advance to be sure of a pitch, the island does get very busy.

The Island is a cycle paradise so if you don't take your own there are loads to hire.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We stayed on the nearby Ile d'Oleron last year. Similar to Ile de Re but a bit bigger. We were at Camping La Combinette, which was OK but we only stayed there as the one we wanted Camping Indigo Oleron Les Pins was closed it being the end of September. Lots of cycle paths and lots of beaches.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Visit

We go twice a year to St Martin and have always stayed on the air which is on Rue de Ramparts immediately past the municipal. there are no toilets/showers but at 11 euros it is half the price of the municipal.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Might I recommend anyone who does go in that direction to set aside 2 days (one day is not enough!) either on the way there or back to visit Puy Du Fou. It's near Cholet and is a venue that has a spectacular series of events. It has its own aire. Ideally book online for best deals and if it's available and you can include Scenie Cine don't miss it, it is amazing.
http://www.puydufou.com/en/

Wyn

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Another vote for the St Martin municipal site here, at two stars it's not hugely more costly than the nearby aire, even in the high season. The bigger supermarkets are at St Martin.

You have to pay an environmental toll of 16 Euros to cross the Re bridge onto the island.

The beaches on the SW side are a bit more lively and interesting than those on the opposite side, due to the prevailing winds. The NE beaches are a bit sedate for my tastes, but yachties seem to favour them.

Bikes are a must, as (like Oleron) they don't cater well for MH day parking outside campsites and aires. You can cycle across the Ile de Re in less than half an hour at a leisurely pace - end to end takes longer. It's pretty much flat everywhere. There's buses too.

We've used the aire attached to the campsite at Bois Plage en Re (Camping Amis de Plage) and it's fine (if a bit noisy from the kid's club) with easy access to a good beach. Market day is good in Bois Plage. There's a free aire opposite the Amis de Plage site, and you can drive in through the barrier and use the campsite service point for up to 45 minutes if you need to.

We also stopped at the St Clement des Baleines aire, which is a grassy one, but the beach next to it isn't up to much. We used it as a base for cycling around the northern end of the Island, round the Salines and Oyster beds and up to the lighthouse which others have mentioned.

There's also aires at St Marie, La Flotte, and the amusingly-named Ars en Re, but we haven't used those. Another one is at the top end of the island where the D101 goes more or less into the sea. A bit out on a limb, and basically a car park, but might be handy.

It's a nice place to visit, albeit busy in summer. Most tourist cyclists on the island haven't got a bloody clue so take care when on the road (bike or MH). If you've ever been to any of the more select areas of Cornwall in summer you'll get an idea of what to expect.

Also, big thumbs up to Puy du Fou as mentioned above - especially the CineScenie show on Friday and Saturday evenings - be sure to book in advance.

You can see some of my Ile de Re and Puy du Fou aire pics in the second link below:

OP
OP
L

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
WOW! Thanks everyone, great bunch of hints and tips :thumb:

Jim and Lorraine

Free Member
Nov 10, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thinking of making Ile de Re our destination for June/July this year, has anyone stayed there? Your hints tips and recommendations would be most welcome please :thumb:

Hi

We stayed two weeks at the ACSI site La Graintierre in La flotte. Free wifi, spotless toilets and a lovely pool area, 2 mins from Le Clerc supermarket. 2 mins from harbour and daily market, Bus leaves from tourist information office to La Rochelle.

And the Oysters ...........

Jim

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi, like others it is a place we like to return to, for us our cycles there are a must, carry a picnic rug a bottle opener a plate knife fork, stop at the local markets for your baguette , bottle of wine cheese etc, stop off at one of the little harbours you can't beat it. We always stop at la Ocean which is camping cheque and pretty well in the centre, I expel we will be there again on the way home from Morocco.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Agree with all the above posts, lovely island. One word of warning if you have a dog, only about 50yds of beach on the whole island where dogs are officially allowed.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, We stayed a couple of nights at a 2* municipal site at St Marie de Re called Cote Savage ,rugged coastal site , cheap, pitched the other side of fence to the beach on very hard sand , beach good for moules. easy drive to anywhere on the island or using bikes.check out my albums france 2008

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I should have added that choosing a good time to cross the Re bridge is a definite must. Around teatime on a Friday is a no no (or should I say Non Non?). It's a popular weekend destination in summer, so try to time your arrival for a weekday morning when people are departing their aire pitches, typically 10-11am. La Rochelle is a good place to divert to if the bridge approaches are full or you want to hang back a day or two to let the island clear of weekenders. The Park'n'Ride at Ave Jean Moulin in La Rochelle has an extensive aire with return bus fares to the town centre included in the ticket price.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Fidget, the site at St Marie looks a really good location, did you take your "excitable" cocker spaniel and if so did you get away with walks on the beach?:thumb:

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Hi

We stayed two weeks at the ACSI site La Graintierre in La flotte. Free wifi, spotless toilets and a lovely pool area, 2 mins from Le Clerc supermarket. 2 mins from harbour and daily market, Bus leaves from tourist information office to La Rochelle.

And the Oysters ...........

Jim

We stayed on this site to and can recommend it.
Lovely place to go. Great harbour and funny to see the donkeys in trousers!
Brilliant to cycle around.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Fidget, the site at St Marie looks a really good location, did you take your "excitable" cocker spaniel and if so did you get away with walks on the beach?:thumb:

Hi Rappphil , No we don't take the pooch with us abroad (wife has spoken!!) she (that is the pooch not the wife) goes to a local kennels costly but gives us a lot more freedom.
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back