Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Fine carrying a Generator in the garage, but hey, what about the petrol can? What's the best, (and safest) type to use. I would have thought that 5 ltrs was enough to carry 'loose'? And where would the team consider the best place to carry the stuff??
We have a Honda 1KW eco friendly very quiet, but it only holds enough fuel for about four hours, and I don't fancy filling it at a filling station.
Petrol storage worries me, hence up until now, we haven't used the genny much. :Sad:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Fine carrying a Generator in the garage, but hey, what about the petrol can? What's the best, (and safest) type to use. I would have thought that 5 ltrs was enough to carry 'loose'? And where would the team consider the best place to carry the stuff??
We have a Honda 1KW eco friendly very quiet, but it only holds enough fuel for about four hours, and I don't fancy filling it at a filling station.
Petrol storage worries me, hence up until now, we haven't used the genny much. :Sad:
Have it converted to lpg ... no problems then

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I carry loads of petrol to race tracks and never have any problems.

I use a 5 gallon metal Jerry Can and 5 litre plastic ones.

If they weren't safe, they wouldn't be legal.

But common sense is still useful :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years

I use a good quality plastic 5l can which I keep in a thick cardboard type box to give it extra protection.
But I do wonder why I even cart the genny around as I have solar panels good batteries and inverter. Just one of those things I suppose.
Steve

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I[HI] carry loads of petrol to race tracks and never have any problems.
[/HI]
I use a 5 gallon metal Jerry Can and 5 litre plastic ones.

If they weren't safe, they wouldn't be legal.

But common sense is still useful :roflmto:

You only need one problem:Doh:

Having seen what a 5l petrol can in the boot of a car can do when I was in the fire service I would now not carry one and would not recommend anyone else to.

We always have lpg on board anyway so it made good sense to have a lpg gennie.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When I carried a gennie (never used it) I carried a 5l can in the back box, as the smell of unleaded petrol is very unpleasant so didn't want it anywhere inside.

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I believe there is a limit to the amount of canned fuel you are allowed to carry, I seem to remember 2 gallons in old money. Jerry cans are a left over from WW2 even though new ones can be bought, and they were taditionally mounted externally on jeeps. Your Honda if set on eco should run for 6 hours or so unless you have it under constant full load. A modern 5ltr can should seal so no smells, unless you have a mishap filling either it or the genny. The gas conversions work well but some use an external rgulator which might then prevent you from getting the genny in the locker, but a dealer did tell me the regulator could be mounted on the locker wall. I think he quoted in the region of £ 250 for the conversion from memory which is a lot of petrol

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 PDF link to external website and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 link to external website limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garage or within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres and two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds like a plan. Will get some prices!! ::bigsmile:

Before you embark on an LPG conversion, you might like to read this web page. The guy is pretty experienced in dealing with Honda generators and there is a lot of very useful information throughout his website. It is worth reading down to the bottom of the page where he gives advice on which Honda generators he would not convert. I had thought of converting my EU10i until I read this.

http://www.petepower.co.uk/LPG-gas-conversion.html

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Right. This is becoming a real minefield. *THINKS*......The conversion is a tad short of 200 Squids. I could sell the genny, and along with the 200, get a very nice solar panel set up........I mean, at the end of the day, you could always start the engine for an hour, and get far more charge then say running the genny for 5 hours. AND, I'm still not happy about the petrol thing.
Lights and pumps. Fitted LED strip and spot lights, so the pump draws about 4 amps, (12 volt). Maybe even fit a No2 service battery............

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back