Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
I am looking at getting a generator, but I know nothing about them at all. So, could any of you guy's advise me as to what size I would need. Thank you in anticipation.

OP
OP
Jim et Lou

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
I want to run the internal lights (SMD's) fridge and 240 v tv + battery charging

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I want to run the internal lights (SMD's) fridge and 240 v tv + battery charging

Hi there. The lights will run off the battery anyway. If the fridge is a normal motorhome 3-way one, wouldn't it be easier and more economic to run it off gas when off hook-up? Getting a 12v TV would also be easier (and quieter) than running a generator when you want to watch TV. You could run a 1kW suitcase generator to top up your battery when necessary but have you thought about getting more/larger batteries instead. Depending on your usage and planned length of time off hook-up, they might be enough by themselves. Or you could always add solar panel(s) to top up your batteries (late spring to early autumn in UK anyway). HTH :Smile:

OP
OP
Jim et Lou

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
Hi there. The lights will run off the battery anyway. If the fridge is a normal motorhome 3-way one, wouldn't it be easier and more economic to run it off gas when off hook-up? Getting a 12v TV would also be easier (and quieter) than running a generator when you want to watch TV. You could run a 1kW suitcase generator to top up your battery when necessary but have you thought about getting more/larger batteries instead. Depending on your usage and planned length of time off hook-up, they might be enough by themselves. Or you could always add solar panel(s) to top up your batteries (late spring to early autumn in UK anyway). HTH :Smile:
Thanks Maz, I think you are right I do not do a lot off EHU so would probably be a waist of money. Thank you for taking time to help :thumb:

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
I predict that with in 10 posts to this thread it will have morphed into a Rec versus Yellow debate.

(I carry a 2kw gennerator because it's the largest I can physically handle into and out of its storage position under the bed.)

And I'm not telling you what colour it is.

Peter

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
So many people seem to be keen to "talk" someone out of having a generator.....:Eeek: I don't know why, as a generator is really an amazingly useful thing to have, not just for motorhoming........if you want one, and can afford one, then buy one and don't listen to people who constantly want to know why you can't get a different tv, use this or that differently etc. different strokes for different folks and all that :Eeek:

I bit the bullet earlier this year and bought the Honda eu20i, its absolutely fantastic and because it produces pure sinewave power, delicate electronics are safe as well. You can certainly buy cheaper, but I daresay not better. KIpors are a good bit cheaper but the quality is obviously not the same; Hyundai generators also get reasonable reviews and one of our trade members offers Funsters a discount on them.

However, as with most things you get what you pay for. I am really glad I bought the Honda.

Haha Red vs Yellow it is I guess :) Nothing against Kipor, though, I just prefer my Honda!

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
So many people seem to be keen to "talk" someone out of having a generator.....:Eeek: I don't know why, as a generator is really an amazingly useful thing to have, not just for motorhoming........if you want one, and can afford one, then buy one and don't listen to people who constantly want to know why you can't get a different tv, use this or that differently etc. different strokes for different folks and all that :Eeek:

Because in the OP's case, he would have been running a generator constantly to power his fridge and watch TV! Hardly practical. :RollEyes:

I answered the post with what I consider to be the best advice for the particular circumstances quoted.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Because in the OP's case, he would have been running a generator constantly to power his fridge and watch TV! Hardly practical. :RollEyes:

I answered the post with what I consider to be the best advice for the particular circumstances quoted.

All good points to bear in mind, don't forget WEIGHT! some vans are very near their limit and people have no idea what the weigh.
Steve
ps one x geny = 50 cans of beer:roflmto:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I wanted a small genny for topping up batteries. We don't do TV, have 2 leisure batteries, a 1kw inverter and solar power, so a 1kva ( actually its 1.25kva) unit was big enough.
We didn't go for red or yellow, we got a pale blue one.
Easy to pick up and store, easier to start and very quiet.
Its an SDMO Booster 1000.

Allan

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Gennys

:Smile:The first rule in this Motorhoming lark is Keep it Simple.

Your very nice van already has everything in it that you need.

It will have a battery charger ,quite capable of keeping your battery charged
your water heater will be powered by Gas and 240 volts, the fridge, Gas 240v and when the engine is running 12 volts DC.

I have a Honda eu20i 21 Kg one 110 amp battery 24 Kg, I also use a 600 watt inverter the inverter is used to power a laptop/Ipad/mobile phone/19 inch lcd tv.

When the genny is connected to the van it powers the water heater and fridge (why use precious gas) as well as charging the leisure battery, its also used to power a 1800 watt hair dryer,(not mine:Smile:) and a 240 volt 600 watt electric kettle, as well as all the stuff already mentioned.

I also have a 80 Watt Solar panel:Smile: if your lucky 4 amps(9am to 3pm)

I always carry my own luck, its a Honda:thumb:

Cheap no good...Good no Cheap:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
keep-calm-and-open-up-another-can-of-worms.jpg

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have a 750watt kippor
I have used it about 3 times in 2 years and only carry it in winter months just in case we need a top up it will just run our on board charging and a 500 watt fan heater
Do I need probably not I could just start up van and recharge that way
But its nice to know its there just in case
As I found out in -5 at spring newark show

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I carry a 1kw genny for the main purpose of SWMBO being able to use her 800w hair drier/curling thingy when we are off hook up.
It has been used more by my brother-in-law to charge his cheapskate caravan battery because it would only last a day and then go flat. I have persuaded him to buy a new one.

I have a solar panel, 2x110ah batteries and gas.
All the appliances run off 12 volt, 240 volt or gas, or a combination of all of them as needs dictate.
In two years I have probably used the genny approx. four times for my own use, and never to charge the batteries.

It is a nice security blanket feeling to have it, but I have the load capacity to carry it. If not, it will be left in the garage. I'd rather have the 50 cans of beer. :winky:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

But it was not an answer to the actual question asked, just your opinion on what the OP should do....... And if the OP (or anyone else) wants to watch a Tv and power a fridge with a generator, that is their decision to make, not yours......:RollEyes: looks like another thread might degenerate into a popularity contest by the look of it.

Actually, very few people "need" motorhomes, either, but choose to have them - the same can be said for generators. They are superb pieces of equipment, so useful, perhaps underused but if you want one, get one.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
generators

[HI]So many people seem to be keen to "talk" someone out of having a generator.....:Eeek: I don't know why,[/HI] as a generator is really an amazingly useful thing to have, not just for motorhoming........if you want one, and can afford one, then buy one and don't listen to people who constantly want to know why you can't get a different tv, use this or that differently etc. different strokes for different folks and all that :Eeek:

I bit the bullet earlier this year and bought the Honda eu20i, its absolutely fantastic and because it produces pure sinewave power, delicate electronics are safe as well. You can certainly buy cheaper, but I daresay not better. KIpors are a good bit cheaper but the quality is obviously not the same; Hyundai generators also get reasonable reviews and one of our trade members offers Funsters a discount on them.

However, as with most things you get what you pay for. I am really glad I bought the Honda.

Haha Red vs Yellow it is I guess :) Nothing against Kipor, though, I just prefer my Honda!

I know why, they don't want to be next to someone using one.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
But it was not an answer to the actual question asked, just your opinion on what the OP should do....... And if the OP (or anyone else) wants to watch a Tv and power a fridge with a generator, that is their decision to make, not yours......:RollEyes: looks like another thread might degenerate into a popularity contest by the look of it.

How long have you been a member of Fun? Since 2007? And you still expect all posts in a thread to specifically answer the original question? :ROFLMAO:

All info or advice given was with the best of intentions. Of course the OP can buy a generator if he wants to. However, if he plans on running it constantly to power a fridge he will become very unpopular with any neighbours. :wub:

Any thread degeneration into a 'popularity contest' is at your instigation. :RollEyes:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
How long have you been a member of Fun? Since 2007? And you still expect all posts in a thread to specifically answer the original question? :ROFLMAO:

I do expect questions to be answered, yes, quaint perhaps, but that is the nature of my profession.

All info or advice given was with the best of intentions. Of course the OP can buy a generator if he wants to. However, if he plans on running it constantly to power a fridge he will become very unpopular with any neighbours. :wub:

Any thread degeneration into a 'popularity contest' is at your instigation. :RollEyes:

Of course it was. Your good intention did not answer the actual question though, and such threads generally then descend entirely into personal opinions about whether someone should own or buy the item, in this case a generator, or not.

BTW The noise nuisance depends on the generator of course and how long and when used. If someone wants to run a fridge full time on a generator, they may bother no-one at all, depending on where they are parked up. They may also find that their generator "vanishes" in the small hours as gennies used all night like that tend to attract thieves who travel with bolt cutters etc to make off with said gennie. ::bigsmile:

As to instigation of anything, i have not done so. Merely remarked on the fact that it was likely to happen. Not quite the same. :Eeek:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I know why, they don't want to be next to someone using one.

Well don't be. No-one is forcing you to be there! I can hardly hear my Honda eu20i running when I am in the van, let alone if the TV or radio is on, so its unlikely it will be bothering anyone else. Added to which, I would never run it all night.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I have a small Hyundai HY1000si genny, only use it at rallies where there is no hook up, an hour in the morning is normally enough to top up the batteries and charge the laptop etc, However I can't see any point in using one to power a fridge etc bearing in mind the cost of petrol.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Well don't be. No-one is forcing you to be there! I can hardly hear my Honda eu20i running when I am in the van, let alone if the TV or radio is on, so its unlikely it will be bothering anyone else. Added to which, I would never run it all night.

Of course you can hardy hear it in the van with the tv or radio on. But if you can still hear it what about the people in the nearby van with the window open trying to read or just enjoying a quite nap in the afternoon.

I have in the past been parked on an aire with not a great deal of space when a neighbour started a generator during the day which was so loud it did disturb us and others. In the end, after several people complained it was turned off. Only to be turned on again that night. which lead to quite a lot of shouting.

Not everyone is as conscious or considerate of others as you apparently are and some have cheap noisy generators. As for not being forced to be there, does that suggest that you think that the majority of people who are disturbed by a generator, wherever they are parked, aire or campsite, should move off so that the one person with the generator can use it as they wish. I hope not.

Your generator and the thoughtful considerate way you use it night not cause annoyance but in my experience (and I can only report what I have actually experienced) most generators I have encountered have been noisy enough to disturb others which is why I, and I suspect, may others don't want to be parked next to someone using one. Perhaps I haven't experience the totally quiet ones that don't disturb other people, but if I had I would not know about it would I.

Last edited:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Of course you can hardy hear it in the van with the tv or radio on. But if you can still hear it what about the people in the nearby van with the window open trying to read or just enjoying a quite nap in the afternoon.

I have in the past been parked on an aire with not a great deal of space when a neighbour started a generator during the day which was so loud it did disturb us and others. In the end, after several people complained it was turned off. Only to be turned on again that night. which lead to quite a lot of shouting.

Not everyone is as conscious or considerate of others as you apparently are and some have cheap noisy generators. As for not being forced to be there, does that suggest that you think that the majority of people who are disturbed by a generator, wherever they are parked, aire or campsite, should move off so that the one person with the generator can use it as they wish. I hope not.

Your generator and the thoughtful considerate way you use it night not cause annoyance but in my experience (and I can only report what I have actually experienced) most generators I have encountered have been noisy enough to disturb others which is why I, and I suspect, may others don't want to be parked next to someone using one. Perhaps I haven't experience the totally quiet ones that don't disturb other people, but if I had I would not know about it would I.

People annoy other people all the time - often for trivial reasons - unfortunately this is a small island and we can't all tiptoe around whispering because someone might be annoyed for some reason. Noise is a fact of life. Alot of campsites do have rules about generator use and quite rightly so - but just as you feel you have the right to absolute silence on a campsite,so others feel that using a generator is their right too, and many, many campsites are blighted by the sound of horrible, hooligan, yobby screaming children totally unsupervised by anything resembling an approriate adult.

Choice: generator noise or screeching out of control kids ? I know what I would prefer! Generator wins no contest!

If you want to avoid generators entirely, book on a campsite that bans their use. Just as one could book an adults only campsite if you want to avoid screaming out of control children entirely. If you book on sites that allow both, then you take the chance that they might annoy you.........but hopefully not to out of control levels.

Having said that, many parents are responsible and stop their children from behaving in an anti-social fashion, just as many generator owners are considerate of those around them and only run the equipment at reasonable times or for short periods.
There are good and bad all over, and unfortunately not a huge amount of space on this little isle to be able to avoid those you do not like all of the time.......:Eeek:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I do expect questions to be answered, yes, quaint perhaps, but that is the nature of my profession.

Well, expect away! ::bigsmile:

Your good intention did not answer the actual question though, and such threads generally then descend entirely into personal opinions about whether someone should own or buy the item, in this case a generator, or not.

And just how have your posts 'answered the actual question'? Nowhere have you advised the OP what size generator he would require. Your first post was just your personal opinion on Honda vs Kipor vs Hyundai. The others have just been your personal opinion that generators are wonderful - regardless of their suitability for a particular use. :RollEyes:

As to instigation of anything, i have not done so. Merely remarked on the fact that it was likely to happen. Not quite the same.

:yawn:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Well, expect away! ::bigsmile:

And just how have your posts 'answered the actual question'? Nowhere have you advised the OP what size generator he would require. Your first post was just your personal opinion on Honda vs Kipor vs Hyundai. The others have just been your personal opinion that generators are wonderful - regardless of their suitability for a particular use. :RollEyes:

:yawn:

My post was in response to the (expected) "why do you NEED a generator" brigade, so it responded to an issue raised in the thread as did the one comparing the different makes- someone mentioned the yellow vs red argument.

Not sure why I am bothering to respond to the thread police :yawn: If you want to slag me off further, take it to PM.

It would just be nice to have a generator thread where people are not inclined to leap on and demand to know why the person wanting the generator NEEDS it because they have batteries, solar panels yada yada yada and it makes a NOISE :Eeek:

Yes, generators are fantastic. Not everyone wants one (clearly).

:restmycase:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
generators

People annoy other people all the time - often for trivial reasons - unfortunately this is a small island and we can't all tiptoe around whispering because someone might be annoyed for some reason. Noise is a fact of life. Alot of campsites do have rules about generator use and quite rightly so - but just as you feel you have the right to absolute silence on a campsite,so others feel that using a generator is their right too, and many, many campsites are blighted by the sound of horrible, hooligan, yobby screaming children totally unsupervised by anything resembling an approriate adult.

Choice: generator noise or screeching out of control kids ? I know what I would prefer! Generator wins no contest!

If you want to avoid generators entirely, book on a campsite that bans their use. Just as one could book an adults only campsite if you want to avoid screaming out of control children entirely. If you book on sites that allow both, then you take the chance that they might annoy you.........but hopefully not to out of control levels.

Having said that, many parents are responsible and stop their children from behaving in an anti-social fashion, just as many generator owners are considerate of those around them and only run the equipment at reasonable times or for short periods.
There are good and bad all over, and unfortunately not a huge amount of space on this little isle to be able to avoid those you do not like all of the time.......:Eeek:

Never did I suggest for one moment that I think I have a right to absolute silence, to say that I did is absolute fantasy. Neither do I need advice from anyone on what type of site to book, particularly since I rarely use campsites. Of course I accept that there are considerate generator users as I thought I made clear. Never did I suggest that you were anything other than considerate and I don't really understand why my saying I don't what to be next to someone with a generator (considerate or not)has caused so much steam to escape from your collar.

I think I will just leave it at that.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Motorhome FUN the clue is in the name its such a shame generator threads provoke so much negativity. Lighten up and enjoy life :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Never did I suggest for one moment that I think I have a right to absolute silence, to say that I did is absolute fantasy. Neither do I need advice from anyone on what type of site to book, particularly since I rarely use campsites. Of course I accept that there are considerate generator users as I thought I made clear. Never did I suggest that you were anything other than considerate and I don't really understand why my saying I don't what to be next to someone with a generator (considerate or not)has caused so much steam to escape from your collar.

I think I will just leave it at that.

The only steam generated is from you.......you are, to put it in psychological terminology, projecting...... You went off like a rocket about how people using generators were generally upsetting people wanting peace and quiet etc.......

All I did was point out that there are alternatives if you are so anti-generator, not that you HAVE to do anything at all. But people are still entitled to own and run generators just as they are to have children or pets which may be perfectly well behaved or nasty, anti-social people just like the parents /owners. It takes all sorts. A bit more tolerance perhaps for the fact we are all different? :Eeek:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My post was in response to the (expected) "why do you NEED a generator" brigade, so it responded to an issue raised in the thread as did the one comparing the different makes- someone mentioned the yellow vs red argument.

Not sure why I am bothering to respond to the thread police :yawn: If you want to slag me off further, take it to PM.

It would just be nice to have a generator thread where people are not inclined to leap on and demand to know why the person wanting the generator NEEDS it because they have batteries, solar panels yada yada yada and it makes a NOISE :Eeek:

Yes, generators are fantastic. Not everyone wants one (clearly).

:restmycase:

Um, you were the one who started the so-called 'slagging off' - though I don't see it like that. ::bigsmile:

So apparently it's ok for you to respond to an issue raised by the thread without answering the exact question posed - but not me. :RollEyes:

Incidentally, I do have a generator - so maybe you're not so clear on the facts as you'd like to think. I use it to charge my batteries when we've had a spell of bad weather that the solar can't keep up with. No way would I run it continuously to power the fridge. That would just be silly. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back