UK Aires (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
A lot of you will have read about the Scarborough motorhome parking ban. Lots of councils across the country are doing similar.

Now if motorhome manufacturers or dealers were to sponsor alterations to land or carparks to convert them to some kind of aire they could advertise as part of the deal, but in creating the aire they are likely to attract more people into motorhoming and increase the market.

Unlikely that we will ever see a network of Aires but wouldn't it be good if a few could be created this way.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Most towns have the same attitude as where I live. They want money from tourism but they'd rather you posted it to them!

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Our local council Torridge after some discussion now allowing overnighting in Appledore, Bideford, Torrington, Holsworthy and Westward Ho. 6pm till 10am £5 per night per bay pay at the meter. The next idea is to get them to provide a service point which may take some time! But we have a start

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You could wait a very long time before Britain has anything like what they've already got abroad. In the meantime all my holiday cash will be spent in the Eurozone. Small wonder you hardly see any foreign motorhomes on English roads.

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think that biggest fear for most counciles is that these aires would be taken over by the 'travelling communities'

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
The Mother In Law likes to go back to Walton On The Naze about once a month, to see where she used to live and to visit her late husbands grave. At 86 she struggles to drive so far, so we take her - it's nice to take the motorhome, and have a relax and cup of tea. And, in these winter months, she can sit in the back and watch the sea etc

There are (small) signs up stating motorhomists will summarily executed (or words to the effect). I emailed Tendering Council asking for confirmation that by parking anywhere in their area I was the scum of the earth and could expect the Horsemen of the Apocalypse to knock on my door soon as. Their reply seems that I am, and could indeed expect some kind of retribution.
Cliff Parade, mentioned in the email to me from Tendering Council is approx 5-600 metres long. In the winters months - you'll be able to count the number of parked cars on one hand.
So, suffice to say, I'm disappointing with the response from the council.

"Hello Mr xxxxxxxxx,

Parking along Cliff Parade, Walton-On-The-Naze is not permitted as all available parking along the seafront is controlled and enforced by the North Essex Parking Partnership and has restrictions on campervans, etc. parking along the seafront. The only place we can suggest is Station Road car park which is operated by Tendring District Council which requires a pay and display ticket. We would need you to contact ourselves however before parking here so we can make the enforcement officers aware, also providing your motorhome can fit into a parking bay in this car park. I must confirm that sleeping overnight in the campervans whilst parked in the Tendring District Council car park is not permitted.

Every time you want to park along here you will need to contact parking and seafronts giving us your registration number.

If we can be of anymore assistant please feel free to contact parking and seafronts on the below contact details.

Many thanks,
<name removed to protect the unreasonable>

:Angry:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
How do they deal with this in Europe?

Simple, they force them to move at gunpoint if needed, whereas we have to wait for a court summond to be issued against Mr Gligmaglog of no fixed abode- by which time they are gone.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what rubbish you talk . there are special sites set up.,really nice for the travelling folk . there is a name for them but my mind is lost .
aires were set up in france to keep a control on the motor homers . years ago tents were the french holiday house . later m,homes gave total freedom . due to the mess they created the french government and the french m,home clubs ,manufacturers set up a l;ist of aires .
unfortunately the french when in other countries revert back to the pre aire days and spoil it for all. mind the germans and the uk m,homers also have parties blocking pavements etc .
when will they learn . this year in pain i have seen the worst winter in my life of m,home ers abusing the parking areas . its a real disgrace.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A lot of you will have read about the Scarborough motorhome parking ban. Lots of councils across the country are doing similar.

[HI]Now if motorhome manufacturers or dealers were to sponsor alterations to land or carparks to convert them to some kind of aire they could advertise as part of the deal, but in creating the aire they are likely to attract more people into motorhoming and increase the market. [/HI]

Unlikely that we will ever see a network of Aires but wouldn't it be good if a few could be created this way.

Yes, why not? Have you contacted any motorhome manufacturers or dealers about this idea? What were their responses?

Can you post the arguments you used to try to persuade them? I ask as the same arguments might possibly be used by others with their local councils. As jemhorn mentioned, Torridge have been persuaded because somebody took the trouble to work provide them with positive arguments.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Graham, This idea just came to my mind yesterday so nothing has been done. Seeing as you seem to always have great interest and have all the answers to everything mentioned on this subject I think you are the man to do this. Please keep us informed on how you go.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, This idea just came to my mind yesterday so nothing has been done. Seeing as you seem to always have great interest and have all the answers to everything entioned on this subject I think you are the man to do this. Please keep us informed on how you go.
Now there's a surprise. It's always the same isn't it? When it comes down to it, it's always somebody else who is expected to put the effort in - in this case manufacturers/dealers to put up the money and somebody else to persuade them to do it.

The thing is, though, I have no interest in half baked ideas like this one, let alone a "great interest". My interest is in promoting constructive projects by people who are prepared to put the effort in - as with the success at Guisborough (it was no fault of those of use involved that people didn't use it).

My views are openly published Here and anyone else is welcome to show me how wrong I am. I won't hold my breath though.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Sorry if I misunderstood that you were interested in this subject. I thought you were interested because you added lots of posts to the Scarborough thread.
I will mention this idea to Andy Strangeway and see if he is interested in doing something. I had the idea but unfortunately don't have enough time to proceed with it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry if I misunderstood that you were interested in this subject. I thought you were interested because you added lots of posts to the Scarborough thread.
I will mention this idea to Andy Strangeway and see if he is interested in doing something. I had the idea but unfortunately don't have enough time to proceed with it.

The reason I posted on the Scarborough thread is because silly stunts like that do us no good at all. All they do is provide more ammunition for the anti-motorhome brigade.

If people really want to achieve something they have to work constructively with local authorities and other organisations, showing them there is an advantage to be gained by doing something. That is why, for instance, the number of LAs now posting MH parking details on their web sites has doubled since August.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Can you please post links to the LAs that you mentioned have MH parking as they may be of use to members. How do you know that the number of LAs advertising MH parking has doubled since August?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
The Mother In Law likes to go back to Walton On The Naze about once a month, to see where she used to live and to visit her late husbands grave. At 86 she struggles to drive so far, so we take her - it's nice to take the motorhome, and have a relax and cup of tea. And, in these winter months, she can sit in the back and watch the sea etc

There are (small) signs up stating motorhomists will summarily executed (or words to the effect). I emailed Tendering Council asking for confirmation that by parking anywhere in their area I was the scum of the earth and could expect the Horsemen of the Apocalypse to knock on my door soon as. Their reply seems that I am, and could indeed expect some kind of retribution.
Cliff Parade, mentioned in the email to me from [HI]Tendring Council [/HI]is approx 5-600 metres long. In the winters months - you'll be able to count the number of parked cars on one hand.
So, suffice to say, I'm disappointing with the response from the council.

"Hello Mr xxxxxxxxx,

Parking along Cliff Parade, Walton-On-The-Naze is not permitted as all available parking along the seafront is controlled and enforced by the North Essex Parking Partnership and has restrictions on campervans, etc. parking along the seafront. The only place we can suggest is Station Road car park which is operated by Tendring District Council which requires a pay and display ticket. We would need you to contact ourselves however before parking here so we can make the enforcement officers aware, also providing your motorhome can fit into a parking bay in this car park. I must confirm that sleeping overnight in the campervans whilst parked in the Tendring District Council car park is not permitted.

[HI]Every time you want to park along here you will need to contact parking and seafronts giving us your registration number.[/HI]

RING AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO PARK FOR AN HOUR OR SO, what a superb idea. I will reserve the first 2 weeks in August !

f we can be of anymore assistant please feel free to contact parking and seafronts on the below contact details.

Many thanks,
<name removed to protect the unreasonable>

:Angry:

They had a problem with complaints about Motorhomes parking along the Promenade at Holland on Sea. Do you know if they have enforced no parking for MHs there yet? What about posh Frinton? I parked there 2 years ago and walked into Walton.
I was at Brightlingsea (also Tendring DC) last year and was able to park alongside the grassed Promenade. Did I miss the signs then ??

Perhaps Councils will put up signs pointing towards MOTORHOME PARKING which will lead us all to Dover Ferry Terminal ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Can you please post links to the LAs that you mentioned have MH parking as they may be of use to members.

It's in my signature and has been for a long time.

How do you know that the number of LAs advertising MH parking has doubled since August?

Broken Link Removed. I've just checked the current total and it is 187.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Info regarding Torridge District Council http://www.torridge.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=8985
Speaking to TDC they have taken some £2K in parking fees in the first year not a massive amount but it would be interesting to know how much extra cash went into the local, pubs shops etc. but assuming that's about 400 sleep overs if on average £10 was spent locally thats another £4k into the area. If you want more info see Practical Motorhome September 2013 or PM me and I'll send you details. Councils that blame 'travellers' for not providing such facilities are missing an additional stream of income and rate payers suffer. I think that the 'travellers' in general would not use such facilities as they have to purchase a ticket, will probably be recorded on CCTV and would be fined for not displaying a ticket. They are more likely to use out of the way sites where they can hide. If you are heading for the Westcountry at the moment best bring a boat!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Info regarding Torridge District Council http://www.torridge.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=8985
Speaking to TDC they have taken some £2K in parking fees in the first year not a massive amount but it would be interesting to know how much extra cash went into the local, pubs shops etc. but assuming that's about 400 sleep overs if on average £10 was spent locally thats another £4k into the area. If you want more info see Practical Motorhome September 2013 or PM me and I'll send you details. Councils that blame 'travellers' for not providing such facilities are missing an additional stream of income and rate payers suffer. I think that the 'travellers' in general would not use such facilities as they have to purchase a ticket, will probably be recorded on CCTV and would be fined for not displaying a ticket. They are more likely to use out of the way sites where they can hide. If you are heading for the [HI]Westcountry[/HI] at the moment [HI]best bring a boat![/HI]

Not as daft as it sounds, I have spent many happy days and weeks over the years on the South coast of Dorset, Devon and Cornwall.

The North coast not quite as accessible, but the cost of mooring is
nothing or next to nothing, why, I suppose because the numbers are so small and collecting the revenue has other considerations like life jackets for [STRIKE]parking[/STRIKE] mooring wardens.......::bigsmile:

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
To take this idea a bit further. Which companies do we think may be interested in investing in the set up of aires?

Do we have anyone who is particularly good at selling the idea to them?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Whilst the ideas of 'Aires' in the UK is a contentious one (as can be seen in this thread) however, I do think that it would be beneficial to both sides if dealers (and others) made available to the public, facilities for filling/emptying. I have seen this alongside dealers' premises in France and it seems to work quite well. Passing motorhomers would stop to fill/empty and while there most pop inside to buy odd items for the van and many have a look round the vehicles on offer.

It seems to me that the need for overnighting facilities is equalled if not superceded by the need for such sanitation points and this would seem something that could logically be made available by places such as dealer outlets, garages/service stations, (I know that when I fill my m/h with deisel I provide them with more in the way of takings than any car does!), motorway service areas, local authority sites, car parks etc. Other suggestions may be forthcoming.

When the subject of allowing access for motorhomes is raised inevitably the objectors quote problems of inappropriate disposal of grey/black water and other waste so to me this would seem to be in need of addressing. Surely provision of such facilities ought to be an important consideration.

Wyn

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Speaking to TDC they have taken some £2K in parking fees in the first year not a massive amount but it would be interesting to know how much extra cash went into the local, pubs shops etc. but assuming that's about 400 sleep overs if on average £10 was spent locally thats another £4k into the area. If you want more info see Practical Motorhome September 2013 or PM me and I'll send you details. [HI]Councils that blame 'travellers' for not providing such facilities are missing an additional stream of income and rate payers suffer. [/HI]I think that the 'travellers' in general would not use such facilities as they have to purchase a ticket, will probably be recorded on CCTV and would be fined for not displaying a ticket. They are more likely to use out of the way sites where they can hide. If you are heading for the Westcountry at the moment best bring a boat!
There is significant variation in how councils (and their car parks) suffer from the setting up of unauthorised camp sites by travellers. The question arose when we were working with Redcar & Cleveland regarding Guisborough and the point was made that there had never been problems over the several years that the car park had been open. That contrasts with the likes of Cambridge (for example) where they have been plagued with problems at some of the P&R sites. In the end it comes down to economics where travellers cause problems - how long can councils expect local taxpayers to fund expensive eviction action rather than barriers?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Whilst the ideas of 'Aires' in the UK is a contentious one (as can be seen in this thread) however, I do think that it would be beneficial to both sides if dealers (and others) made available to the public, facilities for filling/emptying. I have seen this alongside dealers' premises in France and it seems to work quite well. Passing motorhomers would stop to fill/empty and while there most pop inside to buy odd items for the van and many have a look round the vehicles on offer.

It seems to me that the need for overnighting facilities is equalled if not superceded by the need for such sanitation points and this would seem something that could logically be made available by places such as dealer outlets, garages/service stations, (I know that when I fill my m/h with deisel I provide them with more in the way of takings than any car does!), motorway service areas, local authority sites, car parks etc. Other suggestions may be forthcoming.

When the subject of allowing access for motorhomes is raised inevitably the objectors quote problems of inappropriate disposal of grey/black water and other waste so to me this would seem to be in need of addressing. Surely provision of such facilities ought to be an important consideration.

Wyn

The most significant barrier to fill/empty points seems to be retro-fit to existing stations. A location for such a point would have to be where no obstruction would be caused and reasonably close to appropriate water supply and drainage facilities.

There is only one MSA (relatively new Extra MSA at Cobham) which offers a coach toilet drop facility. It is free for drivers with 25 or more passengers on board but "Charges apply for coaches with less than 25 passengers" and the web site makes no mention of use by motorhomes.

If anyone identifies a potential site, though, there is nothing to stop them putting a case together and making an approach to the site owner.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Info regarding Torridge District Council Speaking to TDC they have taken some £2K in parking fees in the first year not a massive amount but it would be interesting to know how much extra cash went into the local, pubs shops etc. but assuming that's about 400 sleep overs if on average £10 was spent locally thats another £4k into the area.

As you say, it's not the parking revenue that is significant, it's whether those 400 vans stayed on the car park instead of on a local campsite, or whether they only stayed in the area because they could do without having to stay on a campsite.

Very few of us have the required time & skills to mount an effective campaign to promote the benefits of this type of facility to councils, but we can all help by making sure that where the facilities to exist, they are seen to be a success. I haven't been to this area since the demise of Bideford folk festival, but it's on the to-do list. On principle, we will be admiring the view of or from several car parks over breakfast. :Smile: The only one I know is the Bideford & if it's the one I think it is, both the car park & the view over the river are actually rather nice.

I will also ensure that if we spend an evening in a pub or restaurant within walking distance of the car park, the management knows our trade was only possible because of the facility.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back