Motorhome - Seperation Issues! (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I am suffering with "Seperation Issues" over my van!!

We have been to see a few now with a view to getting a bigger one for, more or less, full timing. We both then go back to our van and sit there talking about keeping it, as the van just viewed wasn't as cosy/warm/light/did we really need to spend another £12,000 on top of whatever we get for this one, just to get a bit more space.

We started to formulate a plan to change the layout to make the sitting area more comfortable and get more storage space. Hilldweller, if you see this can you direct me to the thread you did a while ago on changing your layout please?) upgrade payload so the unused scooter rack can carry an external locker/box thingy, fit an underslung LPG tank so current gas locker becomes storage for a fitted 2kw generator. A final job will be to replace the gas struts on the drop down bed and the slates under the mattress and reupholster all seats.

Bearing in mind Colin can do nearly all of this work himself, is it really worth the effort in a 20 year old van?

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Decision's decisions I don't envey you one bit but for what it worth I would say if Colin can do most of it himself and you are happy with the van then do it and save the cash for the time being.
Change the van and you will probably still end up making changes as it sounds like you have not yet found the right van to change up to
Just my thoughts

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It all depends on your outlook and value to you on your van :Smile: everything/most you say can be done by yourselves so costs should be minimal - say 2k ish inc, someone doing your upholstery :winky: Almost certainly for such a small outlay it will add saleability to your van, not necessarily value in money terms,but just say your vans worth 12k you spend 2 k it may still only be worth 12k but would sell a lot quicker than a tired van plus you may well get the extra 2k its cost you to do :thumb:Set that against spending another 12k for a newer van
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
It all depends on your outlook and value to you on your van :Smile: everything/most you say can be done by yourselves so costs should be minimal - say 2k ish inc, someone doing your upholstery :winky: Almost certainly for such a small outlay it will add saleability to your van, not necessarily value in money terms,but just say your vans worth 12k you spend 2 k it may still only be worth 12k but would sell a lot quicker than a tired van plus you may well get the extra 2k its cost you to do :thumb:Set that against spending another 12k for a newer van
terry

Good points Terry. Other than the upholstery we can do everything ourselves. We haven't dared changed anything away from the original because of effecting the resale value, but I am now thinking when a van is this old, does it really matter. I hope that by keeping to a fairly small van 5.6m (by full timer standards) but making it more full timer, or long term, friendly to use, it will still retain a good value, even if to a more limited audience.

Plus the savings on not getting a newer van means virtually funding another years worth of travelling.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As previously stated so long as you don't do anything wild like pink polka dot upholstery you shouldn't negatively affect the vans value.

If you love the van other than space and can fix this with modifications I would personally do the mods.

You never know the next van may be worse for you once you get settled in and then you have to go through it all again. Or you might end up with a lemon like I have.

I fulltime in a 6 meter self build. There are things I would change if I were to do it again but living in a small van fulltime is perfectly doable.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go though :thumb:

Aug 19, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Concord
Exp
Since 2009
The other thing thats very important is that you know the condition of your current van, how its been driven and how its been maintained. Will you have that confidence with another ? ! Cheers Rob

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Sandra.
You and Colin love your van so go for it, make it how you would want it, then worry about the resale later. This will be cheaper than changing the van and you will have a van you know and one that is how you want it to be. :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say sell it.
get a chassis cab and box then build your own to just what you want .
might be all in for about ten twelve grand . ex prison truck could be a good start .two of my mates have them . both spent well under ten grand for a finished job.
rather than gas tank i prefer bottles . cheaper in spain and maroc .
plus you dont spend a fortune on a tank.
ebay prison vans you should get the drift.
they come with eberspacher and roof vents doors windows good insulation . easy conversion .

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I say sell it.....

But then again, your talking to the funster that is not allowed to buy and older than than the one I have....
even when I tried talking Nikki in to a nice Aclass

I love the x250 cab, It's awesome and makes touring really really easy..... i would say if you are not stuck on being able to do things your self, then you can choose pretty much any van you want, as what ever you buy will have its little faults and niggles and things you want to change.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hilldweller, if you see this can you direct me to the thread

Bearing in mind Colin can do nearly all of this work himself, is it really worth the effort in a 20 year old van?

At your service......
Broken Link Removed

If the van is in good condition, dry, good engine life left and you know it well then why not. You are talking £1K instead of at least £12K ( and the rest to get the new van to your liking ).

And the satisfaction is incredible. !!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
At your service......
Broken Link Removed

If the van is in good condition, dry, good engine life left and you know it well then why not. You are talking £1K instead of at least £12K ( and the rest to get the new van to your liking ).

And the satisfaction is incredible. !!

:ROFLMAO: no wonder. I couldn't find it, with a title like New Curtains!
Thanks Brian, that will be a great help. It's quite a nerve wracking thing to start cutting and chopping the inside of your van about. :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back