Simple digital camera advice please (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We tend to get so absorbed in the places we visit that we forget to take any. With early retirement fast approaching we want something fir snaps that is simple to use and then easy to transfer pics to ipad, iphone, facebook and attach to txt, imessasage, emails,so that we can keep the children informed about us.
We want something in the £100-£150 range I think but it does need to be simple as I will be the one using it and if its too technical I will end up seeing if it is clever enough to fly! Hope someone can help because I am befuddled after hours on the internet reviews. Thanks.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Most point and shoot cameras have an automatic button on them nowadays. There is a dedicated photography section on here so am sure someone will help you better . I like the Panasonic Lumix range and currently have the TZ30 with GPS which automatically records the location. Its a fantastic camera and the price has now plummeted to half.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I recently bought a Maginon from Aldi, 16MP 5X optical zoom complete with Liion battery for £35 with 3 years guarantee and its a little cracker. Dead simple to use but you also have the options of manual control on a lot of its features. USB connection to charger or computer/tablet (assuming your tablet has USB) and includes simple editing software. You will need to reduce the size of photos to upload to the web, I know you can upload native sized images to facebook but it will be painfully slow, especially if you're using a phone for internet access.

D.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I bought something along those lines a few years ago with the same thought in mind. In practical terms, however, I hardly use it as the photos on my phone are every bit as good in most circumstances, and I always have it with me. No need to think when going anywhere, "I wonder if I should take the camera". And no extra item to find space for. I still use the camera on the odd occasion but not very often.

Wyn

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I bought something along those lines a few years ago with the same thought in mind. In practical terms, however, I hardly use it as the photos on my phone are every bit as good in most circumstances, and I always have it with me. No need to think when going anywhere, "I wonder if I should take the camera". And no extra item to find space for. I still use the camera on the odd occasion but not very often.

Wyn

Compleatly agree:thumb: must have 10 different cameras in the house, never used any of them since having a camera phone, unless you are going to get into photography in a big way ,just not worth the hassle.:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
But you already have a decent camera with access to internet etc Your iPad!

great camera, so easy to load piccies onto facebook or email etc, no need to spend a penny!

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
My son said that if you have one of the latest smart phones it will take better pictures than a £100 camera and you always have your phone with you. Now that means you have have some spare cash to spend on yourself.......:winky:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Agree with comments so far
l phone will take as good a picture as most compact digital cameras unless you are going to spend £200++ for a good one with biggest advantage being a far better zoom is being able to zoom in on a person / view
Image from phone should be able to upload direct to most sites is fliker / Facebook but you may have to resize from a camera to reduce the file size or will take for ever to upload
I woul d not take photos using an I pad as not as good image quality as the phone and bigger to carry about
If you go for a camera try and get one with rechargeable lithium batteries rather than as batteries
I would go for a cannon / Nikon

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I like the Panasonic Lumix range

Get's my vote, a quality make.

Phone cameras - anyone who says they are as good as a real camera hardly ever takes a decent picture - no zoom.

The bulk of my pictures are not at the widest setting, they are zoomed in to compose a decent picture. My trusty old Lumix will zoom to 48X and still produce a decent image. That is the difference between something a dot in the middle of the frame to a close up.

So look for 12X optical zoom or more. Quite common and in your price range.

Distributing the pictures is another matter. Get a decent camera and come back for advice on publishing them.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I bought the missus an easy to use camera at Xmas that would fit what you want I think.

It's a small Nikon point and shoot, 16MP with a 6x zoom for £60

It's really easy to use (turn it on, press the button) and very small. The pictures it turns out are great (much better than the camera's on our phones).

It kind of back fired as she was really enjoying taking photo's so wanted to try my DSLR. She liked all the settings and what can be done with the DSLR so wanted one herself. I ended up getting her a Canon 100d last week :Doh:

The little Nikon is still used though and for just getting a quick snap it's really good. She keeps it in her handbag all the time.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
I prefer a dedicated camera as well. My (older) Canon Ixus 100 takes much better pictures than my phone without the hassle of opening apps and it has an excellent zoom. It really is point and shoot. The latest version of mine is the Ixus 135. I would take a serious look at it I was was looking for a replacement as well as some of the others pointed out earlier in this thread (I don't like to waste other people's good experiences).

Another advantage of a separate camera for is that it holds a charge for a lot longer than my phone. I can go to use it after it has been sitting for months and it will work straight away.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
To connect any camera to your iPad you can use WiFi, which is available on some cameras, such as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B3TM4T2/?tag=mhf04-21

I am not saying that is the camera to get, just that it has wifi. You can also get cameras with what is called Near Field Communications but I think they only work at the moment with Android devices not apples.

However, if you want to keep it simple I would recommend a cable and get one of these sort of things so you can plug it into the iPad. http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

The camera should come with some sort of program on a disk you can load onto the iPad which will probably give you the ability to make the images smaller so they are easier to upload. The iPad may even have one already installed - I know nothing about apple things as I use Android but what you want to do can certainly be done with an iPad.

I have a small digital camera which has a GPS built in but it is very slow to lock on when first switched on so I rarely use it although it is very useful to have the geographic location recorded with the image. Other cameras may be quicker locking on with their GPS so I would go by recommendations - but then if you are looking for something not too technical you may not need GPS information.

Having the GPS information on an image makes it easier to add them to Google Maps although it is not essential as the image can be located manually, but it is just easier with a GPS. If you click on this link and then enable photos to be visible you might see a picture of a funeral director's door taken by me. Not the greatest shot in the world but is a bit of fun getting them on Google Maps. http://goo.gl/maps/McVqD

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)

Wyn

I completely agree. I have a Panasonic Lumix, which is a great, simple to use camera but always forget to take it with me (much to the annoyance of SHMBO:ROFLMAO:) so use my phone. Pictures are almost as good and I always have it with me. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back