Late Winter runners to the Sun (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi
I'am thinking of doing a runner to the Sun,hope to leave UK about 8th Feb Poole/Portsmouth to Gijon/Santander. Then south till I reach the Sea, never done the run before so its trial and error:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have no fixed plans,:Cool:just looking and learning:Cool:
I also have a green card insurance (Feb/March) to cover Morocco should I get that far:ROFLMAO:

If you got itchy feet you can TAG-along or wander off when ever you like.:thumb:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Following on from another thread, I am very interested in this and it falls nicely with my need to get some sun and get away. Main thing for me is to firm up a date so to book the boat so will see if others have a requirement for a particular port/date from/to.
As I live just north of The M4 jnc.13, Portsmouth/Southampton/Pool are much the same to me. I will look at some prices. What sort of duration are we looking at 2,4,6,8 weeks.
Steve.

Best price so far £616 Poole/Gijon return

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Steve
Duration wise for me it will be 6-8 weeks,if there are others interested then great, not bothered which port ( as long as it goes to Spain ) not bothered either way, if its a return booking, or home via France.:thumb:

Will be happy to go with any suggestions as to route or destinations.................as long as we go SOUTH:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Out of interest, i booked to return to the UK on Brittany Ferries, from Santander to Portsmouth. £554 one way. Then i saw LD lines, Santander to Poole, £294. Guess which i am booked on. Then of course i have the IOM Steam Racket to get home. That will be more than any of these.

Craig

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Craig
Yeah the ferry price return from Poole is not a bad price,as for the Steam Racket i will book it as a return then change the date when I know better the return date:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Its cheaper even paying the admin charge £10:Eeek:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
With LDlines a single out is £308 and a single back is..... £308. I quiet like the idea of leaving the return open having to go back the same way can be boring and if into east Spain a long drive in the wrong direction.

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Steve,

Good on you, get yourself down here,and the other Steve ( justlooking), I have been at Camping Villasol Benidorm, for 6 weeks now and the weather has been mainly great, plenty of Funsters here, and many going down to Bella Vista meet, with some of the Funsters in Morocco at present returning for it as well,

Be good to see you both again,

Ken
:thumb: :drink::drink:

Meant to mention that Pete ( knuckledragger) and myself went from Portsmouth to Le Havre with LD Lines, good price pete paid about £70, mine was £49.50 ( 6 metres ) booked one way only, no idea when coming back !!!!!!

Last edited:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We're running to the sun at the moment. Weather absolutely awful throughout France. Friday was probably the worst ever with non-stop rain from Poitier to Pamplona. Today we've moved on to Zaragoza in bright sunshine and 18degrees. I've just taken the dog for her night-time walk without a coat. It's a sudden and dramatic change for the better.
Let's hope the coast is better still, we go on to Valencia in the morning.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi
I'm thinking of doing a runner to the Sun,hope to leave UK about 8th Feb Poole/Portsmouth to Gijon/Santander. Then south till I reach the Sea, never done the run before so its trial and error:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OK we will be just one day ahead of you. We expect to be in Zahora on the 10th, to try and see why Dame Penelope and Sir Rex keep returning. Get your ass into gear and we'll see you there.

Hint: Stop just outside the port then Plasencia then Zahora - Easy. Spain is quite small top to bottom.

Tough luck if you like sweet white Spanish wine, old-mo has drunk it all. But we'll come up with Plan B.

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
With LDlines a single out is £308 and a single back is..... £308. I quiet like the idea of leaving the return open having to go back the same way can be boring and if into east Spain a long drive in the wrong direction.

Hi Steve
I agree with you on the single fare idea,it gives you the option of going down the SW and coming home in the opposite direction nice one,
For me I'am going to go, so you up for it?:thumb:::bigsmile:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Hi Steve
I agree with you on the single fare idea,it gives you the option of going down the SW and coming home in the opposite direction nice one,
For me I'am going to go, so you up for it?:thumb:::bigsmile:

Oh yes! just need a date to book outward trip.:Cool: Then a few days to make sure I've got everything and tell the wife iam off for a few days:cry: so down to you.

Looks like it will be Tuesday 11th as the sailing days are Tuesdays & Fridays 12.00 noon Poole

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Steve
Looks like we have the start of a plan:thumb:
So we book a single,was that Poole/Gijon if yes are we booking the 8th Feb?

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
OK ITS BOOKED.......................Poole/Gijon 11th Feb:thumb:

Yes also booked, just noticed ive put wrong reg no.:Doh: so will have to get that changed...... I got soo excited. she sails at 12.00 so what time do we need to turn up.

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Ok great
Not sure about arrival time,but I might travel down on the Monday and then overnight on there carpark,somebody on here said they charge a £5, unless Steve you have another idea thats better::bigsmile:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Ok great
Not sure about arrival time,but I might travel down on the Monday and then overnight on there carpark,somebody on here said they charge a £5, unless Steve you have another idea thats better::bigsmile:

I think I saw somewhere 90mins before sailing but I don't like leaving things to the last minute if I can help it so will be there a couple of hrs before. pm me for my phone No. sometime soon so we can talk. I might even meet you there Monday night then its an easy day.:Smile:

jimcunliffe

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Bacup,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
21/2 years
Poole-Gijon

Just received an email from LD Lines telling me that the 11th Feb 12 noon sailing is now leaving at 6pm .Looking at their sailing update list on their web site it looks as if their ships are well out of sync with the schedules because of the weather.
It does make it easier for me as I can now travel down on the 11th at a more leisurely pace instead of an early morning blast.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Hi, just had the same email not a problem leaving later may even be a bit easier but will then have to find somewhere when we arrive but again not a problem. 13 days to go:Smile:.... are we there yet dad

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Late sailing

Hi
As above," the bloody bane of my life" oh well here we go plan B
Exit ship and head for the aire about 5mins away,sleep, then head South first stop........
don't know:ROFLMAO:
second stop......still don't know:ROFLMAO:

Only joking:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Salamanca,Plasencia,Caceres, we will decide on the hoof,:thumb:

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Jimcunliffe
Will you be on the same boat as us the 11th Feb sailing?

Looks like we have a convoy:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jimcunliffe

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Bacup,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
21/2 years
Hi Red Dragon,
I will be on the ferry 11th Feb but unfortunatly motorhome will be at my home !!.
I will be on my scooter to meet up with friends in Alicante area and then off to north of Malaga to pick up another friend,riding back with those friends on 26th Feb.They left their bikes in Spain on our trip in August and are flying out next week to recover them.
I will also stay overnight close to Gijon so as not to travel too long in the dark and I can then have an early start to Alicante next day.
Hopefully meet up and say hello on the ferry.
Jim

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Ok

:thumb:Ok we will catch you up on the ferry and say HELLO::bigsmile:

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Greetings to you from Laaaaaxey where the rain is coming down in sheets and the Laxey river is rising perilously toward our back garden.

I wish we were where you are!

Have fun.

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi

:thumb:Hi JackieP good to have another local(Manxie) on board.
The only liquid thats rising down here in sunny Spain is alcohol:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back