DVLA - Registering my 1992 RMB. Help Appreciated!! (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I've just had my first registration attempt refused for my RMB.

They state that they need a type approval certificate.

My understanding is that motorhomes are exempt and vehicles of this age are also exempt. So that's what I put down in my application. DVLA don't agree.

They've referred me to www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval.

And there I'm stuck. Genuinely confused.

I have a green booklet with Udo called 'Certificate of Approval'. That didn't work with DVLA.

Not sure what to do now.

The letter asks for the foreign registration document which I apparently didn't supply. Hands up, I've no idea what this document is but I'll check.

Spoke to a lady at type approval and she's categorically said that type approval isn't needed on vehicles over 10 years old.

So, it it simply a case of providing the German registration certificate? Is it that easy?

Any help massively appreciated.

Last edited:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Try reading the attached document,

http://www.direct.gov.uk/pdfs/apply-commission-notice-motorhomes.pdf

Have you got a European Certificate of Conformity or can you obtain one from the origonal manufacturer?

You might find that you have to go to a VOSA station for them to inspect the vehicle and, if found satisfactory issue a Single Vehicle Approval document.

I had to do this several years ago for an imported vehicle I had, they told me I had to change the setting of the headlights and alter the speedometer from KPH to MPH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I Skyped Dave a lot last weekend when I completed the form.

Dave's adamant that type approval isn't needed and I'm sure he's correct. That's what all my other research shows. So why would DVLA ask?

My gut feeling is that DVLA need to be sure Udo was built in 1992. At least, that's what I hope.

I rather hope a SVA document isn't needed. I've never (yet) been told it would be required.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
from memory motorhomes over 10yrs old ,hearse`s and ambulance`s are exempt sva rules ,last one I registered I couldn't find the temp "brief" and local(Exeter) office lvla did all registering this end ,and notified German equivalent that vehicle now imported to uk that office now closed along with a lot of others

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
we certainly didnt jump through those hoops for our 1998 RMB last May when we brought it back from Germany
But in those days you could, and we did, go to a local office and have a conversation.
We did have all the German registration documents though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I do have the German registration documents. At least, that's what I believe to have.

2 A4 pages of a soft green paper with the date of registration, previous owners details, previous registration plates, etc.

I didn't include them in the first submission. Maybe it was a rather innocent act of omission, but I hope their inclusion this time is the key to gaining a V5 document.

I've written a short reply to the DVLA person (he gave his name and a SAE for his attention) explaining my return actions.

SVA is for vehicles no older than 10 years. Once again, I hope the German registration document to validate Udo's 22 years is my saviour.

But I agree. A 'face-to-face' would save a lot of ag. Maybe, should rejection once again occur, I'll drive to Swansea for just that.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I do appreciate your time. :thumb:

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Good luck. Stick to your guns- it was SO straightforward for us
the idea of a VOSA trip when we were looking into this just made us feel ill!!!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Think the doc is called the fhartenbrief or similar spelling :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Unfortunately you have got tangled up with Swansea DVLA as the idiots have closed the local DVLA offices. It clearly states that a motorhome over 10 years old does not require this crap. This is what happens when you cannot talk to anyone that English is there first language. You and I can clearly understand the written word, but we now have non UK nationals dealing with UK paperwork. Best advice I can give is put ALL paperwork in the car and drive to the republic of Wales and hope you can find a native English speaker.

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We bought a S/H Concorde in November
It was originally registered in The Isle of Man
Our Dealer has been trying to reregister it as English since!!:Angry::Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just apply again.....the next idiot desk jockey will issue a V5.

When all DVLA staff sing from the same song sheet the whole institution will work fine.

Until then....NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

I advised a funster regarding a revenue weight change at his DVLA local office. (All closed now :Sad:)

Change denied and was told by the idiot on the counter 'you cant do that'.

Told him to go back the next day and speak to a different desk jockey......new weight recorded and new tax disc issued on the spot.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Don't think you can expect to get a UK V5 without supplying the original registration docs... Just accept you sent an incomplete application, they have told you what was missing, and now you are rectifying that.

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Just thought I'd post an update to say that today I've received my V5 for Udo!!

The DVLA have issued a nice registration number with two numbers and ending in KOO. Different and it's 'unique' enough to stop me buying the plate 'B16 UDO' at ÂŁ400. Probably. What do you think?

Anyway, I'm happy and relieved. Just hope the DVLA send me back my original documents now.

Thanks to everyone who posted. My gratitude is extended to each and every one of you. :thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
What did you submit or finally do to get DVLA to issue your V5?

The information may be helpful to others on the forum in the future.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Some particularly fair-haired questions here.....

Do you bring the vehicle to the UK and then apply for the V5 or apply for the V5 before import. I'm sort of imagining a load of motorhomes being held in a corral at the docks ::bigsmile:

If you do import it how do you get insurance etc.?

I'll probably never import a vehicle (although I have bought a vehicle imported by a dealer), I'm just curious.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
number plate options........

The problem with your chosen plate B16 UDO is its personal to you but would probably have little future resell value....unless someones parents were having a laugh and called their kid Udo.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Some particularly fair-haired questions here.....

Do you bring the vehicle to the UK and then apply for the V5 or apply for the V5 before import. I'm sort of imagining a load of motorhomes being held in a corral at the docks ::bigsmile:

[HI]If you do import it how do you get insurance etc.? [/HI]

I'll probably never import a vehicle (although I have bought a vehicle imported by a dealer), I'm just curious.

insurance in the case of an import is generally issued on the VIN number until its got a UK reg.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
insurance in the case of an import is generally issued on the VIN number until its got a UK reg.

Thanks, I was just curious.

When all the kids were home we had a Toyota Hi-Ace Minibus that was imported into the UK from Japan. It was 10 years old when imported. We ran it for 17 years. It was great - huge boot and the seats swivelled for "conference mode" and folded flat to make a huge bed. Only scrapped it as we could no longer get parts :cry:.

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Thanks for the warm words.

OK, importing from Germany is simple, even if DVLA have shut their local offices.

Select vehicle. Source export plates. Go onto DVLA website and get sent an Export Pack. Get two just in case you fluff the first one up. This contains the form V55/C which is the one DVLA need for registering. Collect your motorhome. Pay. Drive back. Enjoy the experience. No, REALLY enjoy the experience!!!!!!

Get your MH MOT'd if over 3 years old. This is done on the VIN.

Within 2 weeks of importing you MUST register the purchase with HMRC. In the case of Udo, no VAT but you MUST do that first whatever. And you MUST produce a printout of that confirmation when registering regardless of the outcome!!!

Get insurance. Flux insure on the VIN for 60 days. Sureguard do 30 days. Comfort DO NOT insure on the VIN.

Fill in the V55/C. It takes time, despite being only 2 sides of A4. Do it carefully!!!!

You'll need ORIGINALS of the following:

Insurance
MOT
Foreign registration to validate age

I sent colour photocopies of:

My passport
Certificate of Conformity or equivalent (Udo's was issued with the German export plates from their registration office a few days before collection)
The printout from HMRC

I labelled the documents for clarity.

Send registered post.

I waited one week for the first rejection. I waited a second week for the second rejection. I waited another week for the acceptance.

So it's possible to gain UK registration in one week if you do it correctly. :thumb:

I think I'll keep the 'KOO' plate. I've 4 cars. One is on a private 'K' plate. One is a 1994 'L' and another a private 'L'. One is an 'M' (1973). So another 'K' just makes sense. :Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Within 2 weeks of importing you MUST register the purchase with HMRC

how do you do that? the rest seems self explanatory

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Go onto HMRC's website and register if not already done so.

There's a link in there about registering an imported vehicle for VAT. It's an easy process once you register and find the link. Took me about 20 minutes.

You'll need your NI number and personal details. You may need your UTR (unique tax reference) number if available or previously issued.

It IS pretty straightforward.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Welcome to the world of depreciation proof motorhoming :Cool:.
Glad you sorted it out in the end and look forward to seeing it in the flesh at some funster meet in the future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back