Flat battery (1 Viewer)

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
Went out this morning to give the MH its monthly run and found the battery was completely flat. Voltage measurement across the disconnected battery terminals 0.8v, checked the multimeter against a known good battery and it checked OK.

Measured the resistance across the battery leads, dead short, so the question is, what could be in circuit with the ignition switched off? :Doh:

Merc Autotrail scout 2002 - sprinter

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
A light on maybe?

I have no expertise but sounds like a light is on somewhere? :thumb::thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Went out this morning to give the MH its monthly run and found the battery was completely flat. Voltage measurement across the disconnected battery terminals [HI]0.8v[/HI], checked the multimeter against a known good battery and it checked OK.

Measured the resistance across the battery leads, dead short, so the question is, what could be in circuit with the ignition switched off? :Doh:

Merc Autotrail scout 2002 - sprinter

That is DEAD and will probably not be retrievable.

Probably Dawn left something switched on.:Doh:

There are many things that help to drain your batteries such as alarms, clock, radio.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi. I agree with the comments Brian has made above regarding the battery state and possible items causing a drain on it. I would connect a good battery with an ammeter in circuit and then see what drain there is and track it from there.

Mike

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
That is DEAD and will probably not be retrievable.

[HI]Probably Dawn left something switched on[/HI].:Doh:

There are many things that help to drain your batteries such as alarms, clock, radio.
Not everything is my fault :cry:
Besides I just tried to use the hoover without plugging it in - I don't 'do' electrics

Last edited:

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Maybe the alarm or immobiliser has run the battery down.
Have the battery checked.
I have a small solar panel that fits on to the windscreen and this plugs in to a live 12v socket
and costs about £9, this tops up the vehicle battery.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
It could just be a faulty battery.

A couple of weeks ago a friend came out to Gozo, he had used his truck for a couple of days and then again the next morning. He went back an hour or so later and it would not start. I went down with my jump leads, it would not start. I tried running mine with the leads connected for a while and the hand throttle giving a fast tickover – still no go (both vehicles are Toyota Hilux pickups) . The battery volts were reading around 10. We tried to charge the battery on the bench for at least 2 hours and it would not take anything so we took it back to the garage which had supplied it. He checked it and just gave us a new one.:thumb: I recon it was around 18 months old.

It is not common for a battery to fail like this but I have known it before.

OP
OP
Mike B
Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
Fitted another battery and found DAWN had left the radio on (or someone other than me had). :Blush: those dogs have got a lot to answer for.

Unlike a normal vehicle, when you turn the ignition off the radio is still in circuit.

One new battery coming up.

Thanks for all your help.

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Fitted another battery and found DAWN had left the radio on (or[HI] someone other than me had[/HI]). :Blush: those dogs have got a lot to answer for.

Unlike a normal vehicle, when you turn the ignition off the radio is still in circuit.

One new battery coming up.

Thanks for all your help.
I knew there was someone else :cry:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Maybe the alarm or immobiliser has run the battery down.
Have the battery checked.
I have a small solar panel that fits on to the windscreen and this plugs in to a live 12v socket
and costs about £9, this tops up the vehicle battery.

I would say it is the immobiliser..and anything else unknown that may be running in the backgrond..this use to happen on my last Fiat 130 multijet:Doh:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Look on the bright side. Nothing wrong with the MHF. Result.:thumb:

Reasonable charger available from lidl at the moment that can be used to recover over discharged batteries (maybe)

Had an issue with a solar panel lead that took a bit of tracking down. Couldn't understand why the batteries went flat with a panel fitted whilst in winter storage. Found a very unhealthy plug and socket that was the cause.

Cheers:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back