Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Noticed yesterday a fair amount of shredded insulation material on the floor in the cab - perhaps half a cup full or so - further investigation revealed a small hole in the headlining adjacent to the rear view mirror. No sign of droppings and no smell (Jill's nose is especially sensitive to mouse smells she assures me) but we're wondering if we could have a hibernating visitor? Anything else it could be? And if our suspicions are correct, how best to proceed?

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Mice

We had mice in our van a couple of years ago when it was in storage, luckily no damage done, they had got into the drawer under the fridge, through the vents we think, we used Mars Bars in a trap and caught 2. After that we always used traps and made sure no food was left in the van.
We also had mice in our car years ago when it was parked at Newcastle Airport while we were away, like you we found a plastic water bottle shredded but no other evidence, a farmer friend assured us it was mice- again thanks to Mars bars we caught them.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I always found Nutella is good for mousetraps.

We have one of those electronic gadgets, which I've tried before, but the others I've tried have been useless. This one is German and is supposed to be a Marten deterrent and seems to work. I also always leave a couple of traps out, and one year caught 18 of the blighters. Last two years with the gadget running, none at all.
Though a while ago when I bought it I think it was this one;
Broken Link Removed
It runs off 12v and I have no idea of current consumption, but I have four solar panels so don't worry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Certain it will be a mouse but as for nesting you would smell it we had one nesting in the void under the toilet cassette and the smell was terrible . you need to check all cupboards etc for droppings and set traps with chocolate. Having said that we set traps for 2 weeks with no joy eventually removed the surround for the toilet cassette and sealed all holes where pipes cables ran. So if it was still in a pipe run it wasn't coming out had no more problems.

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
do you think I have a mouse problem in my MH :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If they're into the habitation area I reckon you should fix a couple of those plastic crawl in nibble and die bait boxes in the engine bay in case they develop a taste for your wiring loom.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Dairy milk chocolate worked for us in the traps.

Our mice made a right mess although luckily not to the van itself. They really loved my daughters sheep hot water bottle that you heat in the microwave. I didn't realise it had wheat in it. They also shredded a load of our paperwork in the van.

Looks like you have found out just in time:thumb:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Bounce laundry sheets placed in the van, wheel arches and possible entry points are said to be a deterrent (smell puts them off apparently.) Used these for 7 years in MHs parked up on storage next to farms/fields where you might expect the little blighters to be without a problem. (Moistened sheets are great at getting encrusted flies off the front of the van - wash off immediately afterwards.)

Keith

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
RIP Mickey

Well, it was a mouse - and he is no more. We left a couple of traps and when we went down to check yesterday one of them had done it's deadly work.

I don't consider myself an overly sensitive sort, but I have to admit finding the inoffensive little body gave me pause, I wish there had been a better way. Had we been in a position to have the 'van at home so we could check it daily we'd have used a humane trap.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Well, it was a mouse - and he is no more. We left a couple of traps and when we went down to check yesterday one of them had done it's deadly work.

I don't consider myself an overly sensitive sort, but I have to admit finding the inoffensive little body gave me pause, I wish there had been a better way. Had we been in a position to have the 'van at home so we could check it daily we'd have used a humane trap.

Our neighbours are animal rights people - they live trap and then let the rodents go over the back fence. I think the animals are back in the house before they are! They told me they caught 15 mice last week - I think they might have caught the same mouse several times. :Doh:

The year before they had a rat ("I saw it, it's got ever such a sweet face." My answer "It's a rat. It is not sweet."). When they went on holiday they left me their keys, the rat wasn't in residence when they came back. :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

dont hold yer breath......

Mice are not loners, they are social creatures.....you just havent caught the others yet :Doh:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Mice are not loners, they are social creatures.....you just havent caught the others yet :Doh:

Yes, just think of the dozens that will come to his funeral:Doh:

Margaret

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I had one in my car and the only answer is a 12 gauge one of these........

Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed

Link Removed

It really worked too.........................

Trouble is ...................

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
For "mouse" read "mice"....

Wise words Pappajohn. Went today to find the piece of chocolate we'd left on the "little nipper" had vanished - but the trap hadn't sprung! Crafty little buggers. The trap seems very sensitive - Jill has a sore finger as testamant to that - it must have been able to reach the chocolate without putting its paws on the trap release. We've set a couple of humane traps as well as the two little nippers, and we'll just have to check daily - worry about what to do with 'em when we catch 'em.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Get some of Broken Link Removed Mike and bait them with sultanas squashed into the bait hollow. Jill will like the fact that they are easier to set than Little Nippers and less vicious. You will like the fact that it's difficult for the mice to pinch the bait before the trap springs :Smile:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`m not an animal person so I use glue boards
:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Many thanks Graham, two Rentokil trapsd ordered. Another mouse has fallen prey to a little nipper baited with an acid drop, that's two so far. We've decided to leave traps permanently when the 'van is not in use so one's that are easier to set will be useful.

I'm now concerned as to what damage the little buggers may have done to wiring, or even (heaven forfend!) gas pipework, though I think that's all copper except in the bottle locker. My neighbours had a caravan fire a couple of years ago due to mice chewing on their gas pipework, they were very lucky to escape serious injury and the caravan was a write off. I can of course have a quick look at areas where the wiring/pipework is visible and accessible (to a human!) but do I need to go further and have things checked out by an expert?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back