LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have a NASA BM1 compact fitted and two leisure batteries .... I have just realised that this has been fitted with the negative of one battery attached to one end of the shunt and the neg of the other battery along with all the feeds attached to the other end of the shunt.

As far as I know both the battery negs should be on one end of the shunt and all the feeds on the other end.

Please can someone confirm if I am correct or is it correctly wired.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi. Yes the two batt negs need to be wired together on one side of the shunt and the feeds go to the other. As it is it will just measure the current on one battery also it will put a small resistance in series with the one battery which will make the usage uneven.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Mike, I was sure that is how it should be done..... mine was fitted by a professional 'cos I couldn't be bothered .... so now I have to rewire it:Angry:

Just goes to show if you want a job done properly ......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I hate to disagree, and could be wrong (Im at work not in Morroco) But I think you will find Mikes version incorrect.

I seem to remember ringing them about this. You only connect one neg to the shunt, you adjust the Battery Bank capacity upon the NASA as per Geo's instruction leaflet ie on the NASA itself. The NASA measures the whole battery bank this way and not individual batteries.

Now before I get slated, please ring and check, im not sure, it's just I remember asking ht esame question and being suprised by the answer, the guy who fitted it for you may well of been correct.:thumb:

HERE YOU GO WITHIN THE INSTRUCTIONS

Q&A Half way down on page 7

and a bit from my blog
That carried out the next thing I concentrated on doing was to install a Nasa BM1 this is a comprehensive very special bit of battery monitoring commonly found on boats. It would be used to establish how many amps were going in coming out, what my inverter would pull solar panels would put in etc etc. The installation for this is really quite simple although I did have a little trouble understanding what a shunt does and how it should be wired. A quick call to the manufacturers helped me understand that one bit goes on the neg post and everything you want measured goes on the other post hence measuring the output. So with that carried out and wired in, I was ready and able to carry on with the main job in hand.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Excuse my ignorance what is a shunt ? lol

In electronics, a shunt is a device which allows electric current to pass around another point in the circuit by creating a low resistance path. The term is also widely used in photovoltaics to describe an unwanted short circuit between the front and back surface contacts of a solar cell, usually caused by wafer damage. The origin of the term is in the verb 'to shunt' meaning to turn away or follow a different path.

Attachments

• 800px-Shuntresistor50A.jpg
    800px-Shuntresistor50A.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 15

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
shunt_tweaked1280.jpg

An ammeter shunt allows the measurement of current values too large to be directly measured by a particular ammeter. In this case the shunt, a manganin resistor of accurately known resistance, is placed in series with the load so that all of the current to be measured will flow through it.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I hate to disagree, and could be wrong (Im at work not in Morroco) But I think you will find Mikes version incorrect.

I seem to remember ringing them about this. You only connect one neg to the shunt, you adjust the Battery Bank capacity upon the NASA as per Geo's instruction leaflet ie on the NASA itself. The NASA measures the whole battery bank this way and not individual batteries.

Now before I get slated, please ring and check, im not sure, it's just I remember asking ht esame question and being suprised by the answer, the guy who fitted it for you may well of been correct.:thumb:

I'm sorry Paul but I can't see where your suggestion differs from Mike's and Geo's, however, as you suggest I have emailed NASA Marine and their reply seems to confirm my thoughts and those of Mike & Geo ....

Hi Brian,

If both leisure batteries are treated as a single bank then they should both be wired through the shunt, the one on the non load end of shunt is not being measured.

Regards,

-- NASA MARINE Boulton Road Stevenage Herts SG1 4QG www.nasamarine.com

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I'm sorry Paul but I can't see where your suggestion differs from Mike's and Geo's, however, as you suggest I have emailed NASA Marine and their reply seems to confirm my thoughts and those of Mike & Geo ....

Hi Brian,

If both leisure batteries are treated as a single bank then they should both be wired through the shunt, the one on the non load end of shunt is not being measured.

Regards,

-- NASA MARINE Boulton Road Stevenage Herts SG1 4QG www.nasamarine.com

Yes,. Iv'e just read Mike's post again and I can't see it?

I think when I read it, the suggestion was that negatives from both batteries go to the shunt?

I have one negative to the shunt, as the batteries are wired in line, IE as in one battery bank. Readin Mike;s post, it made me think that each negative from each battery, went to the shunt?

but then again I did, say i could be wrong :winky:

Anyhow, what I do know is that mine is wired exactly Like Techno's and I know if his is right, then mine is too :thumb: ( I copied his)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back