LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ok heres the dilemma. We have been looking for a replacement MH since selling our own last week. As its mum that's holding the purse strings she said she would prefer a 2010 or about plate with lowish mileage...a needle in a haystack I thought with a budget of 25k ...BUT I find a chausson flash 14...on a 10 plate 12k on the clock advertised for 26000 which we get down to 24500.

I now find out a day later a member on here has a 59 plate (..20 k)with extras including gaslow and solar panel...which one would you go for? would you stand by your agreed sale or renage?

Is it heart over head or vice versa?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
only you can really answer that but:
1. have you paid any deposit?
2. have signed any agreement to purchase?
3. if the cost the same which would you buy?

if the answer to 3 is the Dealer van then thats the one you really want and if it were me i would buy.

that said £4.5k is a lot of cash. but being happy with the layout and the van is priceless.

PS im Libra so cant make up my mind ... as you can detect by my answer:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi
If you have not formally shook hands(signed papers) then I would follow the 14day principle of being able to change your mind.:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ok heres the dilemma. We have been looking for a replacement MH since selling our own last week. As its mum that's holding the purse strings she said she would prefer a 2010 or about plate with lowish mileage...a needle in a haystack I thought with a budget of 25k ...BUT I find a chausson flash 14...on a 10 plate 12k on the clock advertised for 26000 which we get down to 24500.

I now find out a day later a member on here has a 59 plate (..20 k)with extras including gaslow and solar panel...which one would you go for? would you stand by your agreed sale or renage?

Is it heart over head or vice versa?

If you've only settled on a price and done nothing else, then you do NOT have to go ahead with the deal on the 10 plate one, even if you've paid a deposit, so long as you are willing to lose it, then again you don't have to go ahead, but if you have signed a contract to buy it then I think you may have to do so (but check legal stance on this!).

As for the 59 plate one, if it is what you want and you are not just looking at it simply because it is cheaper then go for that instead (bearing the above in mind). You should get what suits you and your Mum's purse (don't suppose she'd want to adopt me with that lovely generous purse of hers! :RollEyes:)

Do not let the cheaper cost override what you want/need it can be a very expensive mistake to make! :Eeek:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If they are the same van, and it's what you want, don't hesitate never mind scruples get the cheaper one and save your money to run it, but make sure it has everything the dearer one has such as mileage and stuff. Lots on here seem afraid of saving money, it's easy to spend it but it's a hell of a job to get it.:thumb:

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Personally I would be loyal, but then I am a Capricorn::bigsmile:

I would love to be Loyal but I'm Scottish and if I can save a £ or 2 then I will :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Think of it another way if the first seller gets a phone call tonight with an offer for the full asking price I doubt he will say sorry someone else wants it for less.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
put it this way, you have 2 options on which to spend the money. go for which one gives you the most for the money and will hold its value. maybe even get the sellers to sharpen their pencils again seeing as your a cash buyer and could by either

loyalty has no place in a situation like this, its a financial business decision plain and simple. its a buyers market for the next few weeks of winter

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Its your money till you sign a contract to buy. Buy the one you want most.
Allan

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Weigh up the fact that as a minimum buying from the dealer there is as a minimum by law, three months warranty, with private, there is no warranty. If it is just down to saving money, better in your pocket.

Alternatively be open with the dealer and see how close they can come. Cash buyers to them are king.

Baz:thumb:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Weigh up the fact that as a minimum buying from the dealer there is as a minimum by law, three months warranty, with private, there is no warranty. If it is just down to saving money, better in your pocket.

Alternatively be open with the dealer and see how close they can come. Cash buyers to them are king.

Baz:thumb:

I think I would re-open negotiations.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Did you give the dealer your word?

Is your word your bond?

JJ :Cool:

Gentlemans agreement JJ......dead and buried long ago in the frock coat era it belonged in.

Or.

My word is my bond.

George-Cole-as-Arthur-Dal-010.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bump !
Well what did happen, can't stand these threads that start with a question , then never discover an answer:Angry:

Upvote 0

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Would a dealer kick you in the teeth given 1/2 a chance.:whatthe::whatthe:

If you are happy with the private van, get it inspected then go for it::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
If you have paid a deposit and change your mind, you are entitled to your deposit back unless the Seller can prove that they could not sell without it costing them money or they can't sell it , but in today's climate in both instances O doubt whether they would lose money or cannot sell a Motorhome

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would advise the dealer that you have been offered an equivalent van for the 4.5k difference and you are tempted to take it considering the extras it has ( say £600) so you are saving around £5 k.
Is he prepared to drop the price ?
If no take the funsters van. (y)

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I would advise the dealer that you have been offered an equivalent van for the 4.5k difference and you are tempted to take it considering the extras it has ( say £600) so you are saving around £5 k.
Is he prepared to drop the price ?
If no take the funsters van. (y)
The thread is 7 years old 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back