refelctive board (2 Viewers)

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
As I've just had to purchase an expensive bit of aluminium to attach to my MH bike rack for a trip to Italy in the summer, does anyone have any idea why the Italians insist on these reflective boards being metal whereas everyone else in Europe is fine with plastic?
Is it 'cos Fiamma is Italian? :winky:

<EDIT - Yes, I've spelt the thread title wrong - damn!!>

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is it 'cos Fiamma is Italian? :winky:

Got to be, hasn't it.

Same as the Frog breathalysers where the director of breathalyser maker happened to be in government.

And Earnest Marples who closed the railways happened to be a director of the road builders.

What's that smell, oh just corruption.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I will stand corrected
I believe the plastic ones with four small "Proper" reflectors fitted are also exceptable

But the cheap plastic ones without the reflectors are nothing more than red paint on a white background

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Fiamma Rear Warning Sign Rear signal in lightweight plastic material with 4 reflectors. For use on rear of motorhomes, campervans, caravans, 4x4's and cars. This warning sign is law for all protruding loads which make the vehicle longer than the stated shipping length. This plastic model is suitable for all of Europe except Italy*, if you are travelling to Italy a fully reflective aluminium warning sign is required this is then sufficient for everywhere.

*Over the past few years Spain and Portugal have also been considering making the fully reflective board legal, at present the plastic is still what's required. We would suggest checking with the caravan club before travelling in case of any change.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I think you've made the right choice Tim. Mine's plastic and shabby after 3 seasons.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a thought.. any idea when the law was brought in in Italy ?
I have been using my placcy one for years and nothing has ever been said

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I have a tow bar bracket which increases the stated length of the vehicle. Does this mean that I have to have one of these even though I don't carry anything?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I have a metal box on the rear of my MH, so can I just paint it on? All I need to know is the required dimensions and does the Red have to be reflective?

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
This is the Italian legislation (through Google translate)
'Regulations Art 164
Regulations for the execution and implementation of the new Highway Code - Decree of the President of the Republic of 16 December 1992, n. 495 (in Suppl. Ord. Gazz to. Phew., 28 December 1992 n. 303), as amended. TITLE V - RULES OF CONDUCT 4 - LOAD PROJECTIONS AND TRANSPORT DANGEROUS GOODS (ARTICLE 164-168 CS) Art 361. - Panels for signaling the longitudinal projection of the load (Art. 164 Cs). 1. The rectangular panels to report longitudinal projections of the load to be installed at the end of the ledge under Article 164, paragraph 9 of the Code must match the type shown in Figure V.3 and must have a minimum area of 2500 cm ². This surface should be covered with reflective material stripes alternate red and white arranged at 45 °. 2. The panel referred to in paragraph 1 shall be visible both day and night. To this end, the surface of the panel normally consists of sheet metal, must be applied reflective film class 2, both for the white stripes for the red ones. 3. When the load protrudes longitudinally for the entire width of the rear part of the vehicle, the signaling panels must be two, placed transversely, each from one end of the load, or the protruding shape. 4. With regard to the manufacture, testing and approval of the sign boards provided for in this Article shall apply the provisions of Article 192. Regulation of execution and implementation of the new Highway Code - Decree of the President of the Republic of 16 December 1992, n. 495 (in Suppl. Ord. Gazz to. Phew., 28 December 1992 n. 303), as amended. TITLE V - RULES OF CONDUCT 4 - LOAD PROJECTIONS AND TRANSPORT DANGEROUS GOODS (ARTICLE 164-168 CS) Art 362. - Return of documents (Art. 164 Cs). 1. If the proper stowage, ordered under Article 164, paragraph 9 of the Code, can be restored immediately, the documents are withdrawn simultaneously returned, subject to verification by the organ accertatore and expressed on the same note of the report of findings violation. 2. If the recovery is deferred in time, the return of the documents submitted must be requested at the Command to which the body the booking officer, who will proceed to return after finding that the journey can be taken in accordance with the requirements of Article 164, paragraph 9 of the Code, subject to the express notation on the inspection report of the violation.'

Figure V.3 is the board as we know it measuring 500mm x 500mm

Interestingly (or not - however it takes you) the British regs say that no white reflective surfaces should shine rearward.

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
Soooooo, i have searched 'flea-bay' for one of these reflective boards and can only find branded ones at around £10. Is this about right for the plastic ones please ? Many thanks

Deleted User
We went to Italy last year and did'nt have one at all without any bother.
Spongy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I LOVE the Italian police..
Whilst not everyones cup of tea I find them always helpful and unless you are pushing their buttons very laid back

The couple of times I have inadvertently fallen foul of them I found, just like our own bobbies, a little respect and asking for help to sort out the problem you are in goes an awful long way :thumb:

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
Good question and thats why i am looking to buy one. We will have an empty rack on this time but a mate of ours says he got pulled last year for an empty rack and no board in france........so was taking the 'better be safe than incur the anger of the gendarme' route :hardhat:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Soooooo, i have searched 'flea-bay' for one of these reflective boards and can only find branded ones at around £10. Is this about right for the plastic ones please ? Many thanks

Jaws is the expert, he can get them for £4.99:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: make sure you get one regulation size (500mm x500mm). Some Ali ones on eBay are not big enough!!

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I LOVE the Italian police..
Whilst not everyones cup of tea I find them always helpful and unless you are pushing their buttons very laid back

The couple of times I have inadvertently fallen foul of them I found, just like our own bobbies, a little respect and asking for help to sort out the problem you are in goes an awful long way :thumb:

Yes but when they stop you and proceed to talk with your passenger, try not to laugh. They don't like it.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Guys this is Italy we're talking about:roflmto:

Remember rules there are for the English to follow and all others to avoid :ROFLMAO:

I'd seriously doubt if anyone would ever get more than a stern finger wag if they had a non-reflective on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back