Free Member
Feb 27, 2008
Wherever our R.V. is
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Five Years
Hi there we have a Winniebago 29' Itasca Spirit with 2 slides and all the usual bells and whistles. Bought it five weeks ago in Florida at about 50% of the UK price. It's based on a Ford E450 Triton 6.8ltr 310bhp V10 and drives very well. We are now in Alabama on the Gulf Coast and will be moving to Mississippi on Saturday. Taking a year to do the USA (deviating into Canada), then bringing the RV back to the UK/Europe.

Has anyone any advice regarding the conversion of the electrics? We are not sure whether to convert or to go down the transformer road as lots do.
Or anyone :converted a Triton V10 to LPG?:Confused:

PS - Thanks to Winnebagotony for his comments.:thanks:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Has anyone any advice regarding the conversion of the electrics? We are not sure whether to convert or to go down the transformer road as lots do.

When you refer to a Transformer? I assume you mean the Yellow type Site Transfomers as opposed to the Hidden transformer used by converters? Our Newmar came with most of the appliances required, running on 110v. So I saw no reason to do a conversion. Any 220/240v requirements are met with an 800W Inverter running via the batteries which are mostly charged by our Solar Panels. I bought a Yellow Transformer normally used for permanent on-site heating. It works a treat and it is now in it's second year of full-time running. :winky:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Pete and Kath

Welcome to the forum.

Hope you're enjoying your trip.

I've just bought a RV in the states its in Florida at the moment. We're planning to be back out by the end of March for a few months and start our USA tour. We're going to do it over a few years and hopefully include Canada and Alaska.

Good luck keep us posted on your adventures

Can't help with the electrics I'm afraid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
When I imported mine I used these guys and very pleased with their service.

They did full electrical conversion and they also sorted my MOT out as well.

Motorhome Medics PRESS

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I just used them last week for my annual MOT and habitation check have too say very pleased with their service.

They had a brand new Monaco RV in that they had collected from Southampton Docks for a customer the day before to have conversion work done.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I
They had a brand new Monaco RV in that they had collected from Southampton Docks for a customer the day before to have conversion work done.

I hope you stuck a MotorhomeFun flyer in it Ror::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Full Uk conversion is of course a matter for the individual to decide A yellow trnsformer will do the job, but would de value any RV I was thinking of buying, it should be pointed out ,the majority of site transformers are not intended for continuous use, and the correct one should be used if thats the way you decide to go
Geo

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi there was a post on here about an LPG conversion on a V10, the converter they spoke to said he simply used the electronics from a V8 conversion and programmed in two extra pulses. Can't remember who posted it, John (RR) perhaps?

Have to agree with Geo, if I was looking to buy an RV seeing a yellow tranny in the locker would make me wonder about the rest of the conversion, ie vehicle lights etc. Their was a thread about this a while ago, if you use them continuously you have to downrate them, can't remember how much by, possibly 50%

Olley

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I've just bought a RV in the states its in Florida at the moment. We're planning to be back out by the end of March for a few months and start our USA tour. We're going to do it over a few years and hopefully include Canada and Alaska.

Have I missed something?:whatthe:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
The draw back with a yellow transformer is that it does not transform 240 volt to 110 volts and 0 neutral it transforms 240 volts to 50 volts + and 50 volts - so you cannot use the 110 generator to power your 240 volt appliances as the transformer does not work in reverse believe me I tried it just stalled the generator on my Allegro.

I do see the advantage of using 110 volt appliances and just having a single transformer and I may consider that next time if I ever import another RV, I fully converted my Monaco with two transformers and converted two 110 volt ring mains to 240 volt UK sockets.

I also heard somewhere and I am sure someone may correct me that new TVs DVDs etc are more tolerant to voltage and will work at 110 volt!

Regards Pat

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
With regards to electrics I would like to add that the 'yellow' transformers are not as bad as has been indicated.

I have one in the Winnie, which has been permanently on, when at home or site for nearly two years with no problems.

With regards to getting 240V in the RV, you need to question what this is for. Almost every mobile phone, TV, laptop and most other every day appliances are rated 85 or 100 to 280 VAC. Take a look if you find this difficult to believe.

Indeed I just bought a Dyson car vac for the Winnie and the charger also fits this range, so I plug it in anywhere in the Winnie with no problems.

When on site I have an adaptor to a multi outlet and put all the phones, blue tooth headsets, pc's etc on charge.

Regards

Chris

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I fully converted my Monaco with two transformers and converted two 110 volt ring mains to 240 volt UK sockets.

I also heard somewhere and I am sure someone may correct me that new TVs DVDs etc are more tolerant to voltage and will work at 110 volt!

Regards Pat

That is the easiest way to allow for 110/220 volts each way. I have 2 LCD TV's which will work on any voltage. Also Satellite Analogue/Digital reciever, Laptops etc that also work on multi-voltage. :winky:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
we run our genny for the 110 output is 220 on the genny an onan standard equip most gennys run about 220 so have to use a transformer too. for the 240 v we put a seprate line in along side the 110 and routed it through the transformer all works ok we now are puting in a single pole switch which allows you to either use the genny or the 240 but check with a sparky first .

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
When you refer to a Transformer? I assume you mean the Yellow type Site Transfomers as opposed to the Hidden transformer used by converters? Our Newmar came with most of the appliances required, running on 110v. So I saw no reason to do a conversion. Any 220/240v requirements are met with an 800W Inverter running via the batteries which are mostly charged by our Solar Panels. I bought a Yellow Transformer normally used for permanent on-site heating. It works a treat and it is now in it's second year of full-time running. :winky:

Hi
I use a yellow box but it keeps tripping the site supplies. It only does it once and then once reset its ok. Do you have the same problem.

Mine is booked in for a conversion next month. I wont be taking any power from the battery, or so I'm told.

Jim:thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi
I use a yellow box but it keeps tripping the site supplies. It only does it once and then once reset its ok. Do you have the same problem.

Mine is booked in for a conversion next month. I wont be taking any power from the battery, or so I'm told.

Jim:thumb:

:Cool: Hi Jim. We have never had that problem. Having said that. I always make sure that all appliances are turned off. Also the supply on Camping Almafra is 16 amps. :winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
:Cool: Hi Jim. We have never had that problem. Having said that. I always make sure that all appliances are turned off. Also the supply on Camping Almafra is 16 amps. :winky:

Very Strange, I could happily live with 110 Volt but feel that by introducing 240 Volt I have the benefit of having both 110 and 240 to use as required.

I can run my existing appliances from the 110 and any uk appliances from the 240. It allows me more flexibilty and I will not be restricted to having to only use appliances that will run on 110.

I know that there is a drive to produce appliances, like tellly's etc that will run from 110 & 12 Volt but I dont believe that they are fully developed yet.

Still cant figure out why my yellow box trips the site supply. The instrucion leaflet does say that there will be an initial surge.

I haved used these boxes in work for years and they do trip every now and again but its the box that trips. Its easily reset by pressing the button on the side of the box.

Maybe its the sequence that I use when attaching my shore line to my box and then to the site supply. Its embarrassing having to walk into the site office every week end to ask for it to be reset.

Were off tonight for a weekend away. Wonder whether it will trip tonight. Me and her take turns in facing the office. Its her turn tonight.

Cheers

Jim ::bigsmile:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Very Strange, I could happily live with 110 Volt but feel that by introducing 240 Volt I have the benefit of having both 110 and 240 to use as required.

:Cool: Seeing as we have ALWAYS had Solar power, extra batteries and Inverters for 230 volts, it has never been a problem. :winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
:Cool: Seeing as we have ALWAYS had Solar power, extra batteries and Inverters for 230 volts, it has never been a problem. :winky:

Dont see the point in what it is your saying. Maybe your taking something that I have said out of context

Jim :Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Still cant figure out why my yellow box trips the site supply. The instrucion leaflet does say that there will be an initial surge.

I haved used these boxes in work for years and they do trip every now and again but its the box that trips. Its easily reset by pressing the button on the side of the box.
Cheers

Jim ::bigsmile:

I think you've answered your own question here Jim.:thumb:

I must admit I haven't had this problem but I don't tend to have any appliances switched on when connecting it.

It MAY be putting a very small potential on the earth briefly...just enough to trip the breaker.

Is it possible just to plug the unit in with nothing attached to the output?

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi there was a post on here about an LPG conversion on a V10, the converter they spoke to said he simply used the electronics from a V8 conversion and programmed in two extra pulses. Can't remember who posted it, John (RR) perhaps?

Have to agree with Geo, if I was looking to buy an RV seeing a yellow tranny in the locker would make me wonder about the rest of the conversion, ie vehicle lights etc. Their was a thread about this a while ago, if you use them continuously you have to downrate them, can't remember how much by, possibly 50%

Olley

Hi Olley

Its not that you have to down rate them. The maximum amperage that they will give is 8 amp and of course you still only have 110 Volt in your coach.

It works ok but doesn't have the right feel to it.

Jim :Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Is there any other way of reducing the 240v down to 110v without the yellow site box (not keen on one) No doubt anything else would be more expensive?

Just paid £1600 for 240v ring main for the current bus and if |I changed dont see the need to go this far again if it just a case of buying a dropper transformer and some 110v white goods.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I think you've answered your own question here Jim.:thumb:

I must admit I haven't had this problem but I don't tend to have any appliances switched on when connecting it.

It MAY be putting a very small potential on the earth briefly...just enough to trip the breaker.

Is it possible just to plug the unit in with nothing attached to the output?

I think that will have to be the plan tonight. Make the connection to the yellow box from the site supply first and then plug in my land line.

As far as I am aware there is nothing turned on inside the coach.

Jim :thumb:

I tell a lie, the fridge and the micro wave are turned on, they both switch on from hidden sockets. Thats why tHere never turned off.

My leisure battery is kaput so as soon as I plug in to the site those applioances are drawing power.

I could also run my genny just until I am plugged in, that may relieve the pull on the site power.

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Is there any other way of reducing the 240v down to 110v without the yellow site box (not keen on one) No doubt anything else would be more expensive?

Just paid £1600 for 240v ring main for the current bus and if |I changed dont see the need to go this far again if it just a case of buying a dropper transformer and some 110v white goods.

:Cool: As I keep mentioning John (RR). We have never had ANY problem using our Yellow transformer. But I think MOST people buy the cheap Yellow basic Transformer. I bought the little bit more expensive one intended for semi-permanent heating. IT WORKS. :winky::winky::winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
:RollEyes: Nope. The genny would overide the shore power via the auto-select box. Unless of course it is a manual plug in type. But doubt that. :winky:

Think you are right John but because my battery is dead I had never thought about my fridge, freezer and microwave being turned on. Although they are not doing anything other than being turned on that may be enough to trip the site supply.
Jim :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back