Drive a MH from Tuscany to London (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has anyone seen the one where you can drive a new rv from one side of USA to various mh dealers on the other side for free just to deliver them, think its on ccc site , sounds to good to be true ,don't know what happens if you damage it.:Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has anyone seen this offer?
Catherine

Naturally, I'm a bit suspicious. Is it a scam ?

If they were running a business properly they'd get a proper price one way hire from England to Italy meshed in with a proper price one way hire from Italy to England.

We've hired boats this way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Don't know Brian. Found the info in the Sunday Times, just passing it on!

I think they are getting them new from supplier in Italy, so no outward hire is necessary...

Catherine

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't know Brian. Found the info in the Sunday Times, just passing it on!

I think they are getting them new from supplier in Italy, so no outward hire is necessary...
Catherine

A good theory but I still think people should look very closely.

A delivery driver would take two days and not abuse the van.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
A good theory but I still think people should look very closely.

A delivery driver would take two days and not abuse the van.

A delivery driver would cost money.

Here the company is being paid to receive their motorhome in the UK, will have "live-in" comments from the customers stating what didn't work etc on the journey (better than complaints from customers that have paid full whack) and loads of publicity.

Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Has anyone seen this offer? Drive a motorhome from Tuscany to London for Bunk Campers, flight to Pisa, 10 days MH/camper hire plus ferry Calais Dover all for £100. Sold out this year but can put your name down for next year. Ideal for someone considering buying a motorhome and wanting to try it out.

Catherine

We had a look at this while it was still available, but decided not to do it. Once you looked at all the hidden costs, it wasn't such a bargain - and the motorhomes had absolutely no equipment, bedding, kitchen equipment, levels etc. etc.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
TDid something similar years ago returning sailing boats from end of season hire Levkas to Corfu,Had a great time .

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
30 Years ago me and a few mates (with hundreds of others) had a great deal will DHL which lasted a couple of years; you'd agree to fly somewhere, New York, Singapore, Brisbane etc, Two or three lads at a time, they take your passport at the office and give you a time to turn up at the airport. You were only allowed hand luggage, as they would turn up with massive trollies of parcels to use all your luggage allowance and pay excess, it was probably the equivalent of around 15 large suitcases. They never arranged accomodation but you could choose your turnaround time and repeat the process. We'd normally have 3 or 4 days in situ by then we'd have spent all our money in bars and be in need of a shower.

The Airline must have shut this loophole as suddenly the practice stopped. But it was great while it lasted:Smile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I saw this offer as well and it looked attractive at first but as already pointed out the van has no equipment of any sort and you only had about 7 days to complete the journey. There was also a huge excess, £3k or thereabouts as far as I can remember.

Basically, they are not out to give anyone a cheap holiday, they just want cheap delivery drivers. However, could be attractive to some, that they are sold suggests it is.

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
30 Years ago me and a few mates (with hundreds of others) had a great deal will DHL which lasted a couple of years; you'd agree to fly somewhere, New York, Singapore, Brisbane etc, Two or three lads at a time, they take your passport at the office and give you a time to turn up at the airport. You were only allowed hand luggage, as they would turn up with massive trollies of parcels to use all your luggage allowance and pay excess, it was probably the equivalent of around 15 large suitcases. They never arranged accomodation but you could choose your turnaround time and repeat the process. We'd normally have 3 or 4 days in situ by then we'd have spent all our money in bars and be in need of a shower.

The Airline must have shut this loophole as suddenly the practice stopped. But it was great while it lasted:Smile:

Yes Jim, I was a courier a couple of times in the 80s - once to Athens and once to New York. Just had to take a sealed package - it could have been anything, but the flight cost virtually nothing, and on each occasion I was able to stay a couple of weeks before checking in to see if they had anything to go back to England. Then the service was withdrawn or otherwise I would have continued.

Catherine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back