Indian and Chinese takeaway cooking (1 Viewer)

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've been cooking for many years now and have a passion for reproducing the flavours of Indian and Chinese takeaways.

The two sites that have really brought my cooking skills forward are:

Chinese Cooking - http://www.khoanvong.com/

Indian Cooking - http://www.youtube.com/user/leviteish/videos

You need to make the "base gravy" first for the Indian cooking but it's well worth the effort:thumb:

Hope this helps

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
About 10 years ago I was invited "behind the scenes" in my local Indian take away to cook my own curry. A lot of it is pre/semi-prepared to speed things up so cooking these from scratch often involves lots of pans, packs of spices and so forth and not always practical in the van.

A little trick I use for the motorhome is Laziza spice mixes. I'm fortunate enough to have a shop which sells these relatively locally for 99p a pack but you can buy them online too (below). There is nothing in them but dry spices in the correct quantities for the curry that you're making. Just add Ghee (essential), onions, garlic, ginger (or Laziza garlic ginger paste) fresh tomatoes and chills.

I spend all summer making Seekeh Kebabs, Tandori Chicken and Lamb and Masala Fish on the Cadac.

http://www.abubakarstore.co.uk/adva...words=Laziza+&search_in_description=1&x=4&y=9

I love curry!

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
About 10 years ago I was invited "behind the scenes" in my local Indian take away to cook my own curry. A lot of it is pre/semi-prepared to speed things up so cooking these from scratch often involves lots of pans, packs of spices and so forth and not always practical in the van.

A little trick I use for the motorhome is Laziza spice mixes. I'm fortunate enough to have a shop which sells these relatively locally for 99p a pack but you can buy them online too (below). There is nothing in them but dry spices in the correct quantities for the curry that you're making. Just add Ghee (essential), onions, garlic, ginger (or Laziza garlic ginger paste) fresh tomatoes and chills.

I spend all summer making Seekeh Kebabs, Tandori Chicken and Lamb and Masala Fish on the Cadac.

http://www.abubakarstore.co.uk/adva...words=Laziza+&search_in_description=1&x=4&y=9

I love curry!

A man after my own heart!! I love cooking curries and when I was last in Goa I was invited in to the kitchen of a beach shack and allowed to film my favourite curry being made so I could do it myself when we got home. It was an amazing experience. We also bought packets of chicken xacuti powder to which I just have to add onions, tomatoes and chicken. It makes an amazingly tasty curry. We are back in Goa in March, just in time as I am on my last packet of powder ::bigsmile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Actifty.

Cook chicken, add onions, add patak extra hot paste tin of tomatoes job done..

My local Indian takeaway uses Patak...:Doh:

Also 99% of All UK Indian restaurants are run by Bengalis and I suspect that in all Bengali homes the men of the house would need TomTom to find the kitchen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Also the Chinese food that is served in the UK is mainly Cantonese, well roughly based on that, not anywhere close to 'real Chinese food', I have been to China and had friends who ran a restaurant and when they invited me to go there for a meal 'after hours' if was nothing like what they sell to the punters.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We get some packets from a place on the Isle of Skye. If you google Skye Batiks the shop will come up. The curry mixes are excellent.:Smile:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Mmmmmmmm I loves curry, eating it and cooking it, but remember any dried spices go stale quickly, so good excuse (if one were needed) to do a massive batch curry cook off and freeze it.

Interested in cadac curry, bought one off Tonka last year haven't taken it out the box yet.:Doh:

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I've been cooking for many years now and have a passion for reproducing the flavours of Indian and Chinese takeaways.

The two sites that have really brought my cooking skills forward are:

Chinese Cooking - http://www.khoanvong.com/

Indian Cooking - http://www.youtube.com/user/leviteish/videos

You need to make the "base gravy" first for the Indian cooking but it's well worth the effort:thumb:

Hope this helps
Can't go wrong with Rick Stein's 'India'. All authentic recipes he learned from locals in small villages when touring India. I've been cooking indian food for very long time and this book has produced amazing stuff. Just over a tenner.........::bigsmile:

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I too love curry and have been trying to get that elusive takeaway taste. A great little book ideal for the Motorhome, 'the Curry Secret' by Kris Dhillon. Can be picked up for £5 or less on Amazon, great tips on base gravy and the recipes for loads of dishes to make from it by addition of further spices. Excellent book.:winky:
Got me hungry just talking about it.
Ps he also does a Chinese takeaway secret, also good.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I too love curry and have been trying to get that elusive takeaway taste. A great little book ideal for the Motorhome, 'the Curry Secret' by Kris Dhillon. Can be picked up for £5 or less on Amazon, great tips on base gravy and the recipes for loads of dishes to make from it by addition of further spices. Excellent book.:winky:
Got me hungry just talking about it.
Ps he also does a Chinese takeaway secret, also good.

We bought a copy of the "Korma Sutra":roflmto:........no joking! It contains loads of curry recipe secrets from a chain of Indian restaurants (the Ashoka chain) in Glasgow:thumb: It was about a fiver, but don't think it's available any longer.
Margaret

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
There is a Chinese place in Pembroke that does the best special curry ( chicken, pork and prawn) that I have ever tasted. I went there on Saturday and it was fantastic. Try as I might, no other Chinese restaurant I have visited ever comes close. if I could get their recipe I would look like special curry ( and a tank possibly)::bigsmile:

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
There is a Chinese place in Pembroke that does the best special curry ( chicken, pork and prawn) that I have ever tasted. I went there on Saturday and it was fantastic. Try as I might, no other Chinese restaurant I have visited ever comes close. if I could get their recipe I would look like special curry ( and a tank possibly)::bigsmile:

I buy this base curry sauce from the local Wing Yip warehouse here in Manchester. Takes about an hour of gentle simmer then it's ready. Saw empty 1kg buckets of the stuff at my favorite takeaway so knew it was the right product.

Broken Link Removed

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I buy this base curry sauce from the local Wing Yip warehouse here in Manchester. Takes about an hour of gentle simmer then it's ready. Saw empty 1kg buckets of the stuff at my favorite takeaway so knew it was the right product.

Broken Link Removed

You can also get it on markets and farm shops usually. They do Madras, Hot and another one. Handy for a very quick curry chinese style. Nowhere near interesting for indian tho.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
We bought a copy of the[HI] "Korma Sutra"........no joking! It contains loads of curry recipe secrets[/HI]

seriously, should have gone to specsavers, it didn't say 'Chow Mein'. :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back