Fiat ducato rapido what solar panels (1 Viewer)

Desp4sun

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Coach built fiat ducato
Exp
We're newbies
Hi new to motorhomes having only just purchased one.

We would like to wild camp and need advice on what size etc solar panels for a vehicle this size.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi and welcome.:thumb:

loads of threads on this topic, use the search function above for solar and youl get loads, some in the last 48 hours:thumb:

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi it all depends on how much tv and lighting you are going to use.
bigger is better but only fit what you need.

I have a single 80 watt panel and 2 x 155 Amp batteries and can go for around 2 weeks without hookup or starting the van.
obviously everyone's needs are different and manufacturers design vans mainly to be on sites with hookup so put the minimum size batteries they can on.

if you are moving every day then a single 80 or 100 watt panel will probably do.

best way to find out is live in it for a weekend on your driveway that way if something goes wrong you can always nip back into the house and see how much battery you have left after that.
you may find that if you are only out for a couple of nights at a time you don't need anything extra or maybe just another battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The vehicle size is irrelevant really.

It depends on your power needs and consumption. How long off hook up, summer or winter, where John O groats or Morocco.

How many are you in the van, do you watch a lot of TV, have you got all LED lighting, are you running computers, chargers etc etc etc...

You first need to calculate what you will consume.

Some folk can mange on a single 80A/H battery for several days in the summer, just using a little lighting and the odd hour of TV.

Upvote 0

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi, interesting question.:thumb:

I have a few recent threads on this subject as I am currently fitting out my MoHo with solar and have started a diary.

To start I sat down and did the maths as suggested above and then doubled it,,,,,,,, just in case I want to use more AND/OR our solar buddy (sun) was not full blown summer ie, winter or just not got it's hat on.

For our usage I worked out that two 110ah batteries (which we have fitted) and a pair of 12v 100w solar panels wired in series to a MPPT charge controller should keep us in 'juice' for our requirements.

There are some cracking lads on here that have done this 'solar' thing for a while and will offer some great advice - as suggested search in the solar section and all the advice and guidance you will ever need is contained within.

Good luck.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Upvote 0

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Hi i am just toying with the idea of upgrading my system , i believe that you can never have enough power, the things that are to consider for me are extra weight, cost, and of course how much equipment relies on the 12v system, add up everything you have running off your van batteries then factor in all the other things you may want to add at a later date, as most people will tell you the summer months are totally different to the autumn and winter as regards to sunlight which really effects how much power goes back into your system from the solar panels, if you read up on batteries it appears that its not good to keep running them down then charging them up they only have limited number of charging cycles, so relacing power that is drawn from the system as soon as possible is wise, my understanding is that 300w of solar panels on as larger battery bank as you can manage say at least 330 ah will be good , this will be my set up if i go ahead with my upgrade
4x110ah batteries
sterling battery to battery charger
1x 135w+2x80w = 295w solar panels
PCM3012 25A MPPTsolar charge controller

Things i will need to power below

12v Waeco cr50 compressor fridge
15 inch lcd tv
8x LED spot lights
circulation pump on diesel water/ interior heating
Fan blower for occasional heating
Shower/ sink pump
usb powered sound system connected to tv
Satelite system
phone charging
800W Microwave powered from a 1200 inverter

Techno100 has a really good set up on his motorhome check out some of his posts, i might do my system in a similar way to his where he has a seperate bank of batteries for his inverter, which get charged from the solar panels with overflow power charging the habitation battery bank, the power is switchable between both banks changeover switch allows bank selection, combination or isolation.
pete

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We would like to wild camp and need advice on what size etc solar panels for a vehicle this size.

There really is no answer to this. In the winter you get little solar, in the summer a decent amount and both depend how far north you are.

Just throw a 100/125 on and suck it and see.

If that fails, throw another one on.

You will fail in the winter though.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
been in spain since begining of november managed easily on solar. 6x 80wat panels 400amp of batteries . run inverter to run fridge freezer on 240v . use lots of tv and today the computer. first free wifi i have found easily . i say look on ebay and fill your roof its never been cheaper .

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
There really is no answer to this. In the winter you get little solar, in the summer a decent amount and both depend how far north you are.

Just throw a 100/125 on and suck it and see.

If that fails, throw another one on.

You will fail in the winter though.

if you can elevate your panels you will get far more from them if your intending to use your van in the uk in winter.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if you can elevate your panels you will get far more from them if your intending to use your van in the uk in winter.

And rotate them as well and the increase is staggering, Snowbird quoted the figures to back his tilt and rotate machine, that one day may end up on the roof of his MH. From memory it was something like 10x the energy of a flat panel.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back