Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have a normal 12v ciggy lighter socket and an Aux 12v socket next to each other. I use one to power the sat nav, the other to power a Roadhawk dash cam.
Now the problem. When I start the car, power to the 12v sockets is interrupted. No problem for the satnav but it turns the dash cam off again. But only seems too be a problem when the engine is cold.
Is there a device that will maintain the power to the dash cam during this startup period without wiring a permanent live feed to it?

Allan

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You would need to wire it to the leisure batteries I think. Wired to the vehicle battery the voltage drop when starting could still turn it off I think. My van has a couple of cigarette lighter sockets in the rear. I replaced one with a USB socket and can run things off that in the front using a USB extension cable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You would need to wire it to the leisure batteries I think. Wired to the vehicle battery the voltage drop when starting could still turn it off I think. My van has a couple of cigarette lighter sockets in the rear. I replaced one with a USB socket and can run things off that in the front using a USB extension cable.

possible but unlikely as the roadhawk can be supplied with a hardwiring kit and as the most popular instalation is in cars, probably well in the thousands, i would think the web would be over run with complaints if this was the norm.
Many smal electronic items can function on very low (8 or 9v) voltages and i would think this is one.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
possible but unlikely as the roadhawk can be supplied with a hardwiring kit and as the most popular instalation is in cars, probably well in the thousands, i would think the web would be over run with complaints if this was the norm.
Many smal electronic items can function on very low (8 or 9v) voltages and i would think this is one.

Thanks all, I just did a search on google and it seems there are a lot of people having the same or similar problems on Amazon. I have sent a message to Roadhawk to see if they have a solution, maybe the hardwire kit is the answer though.

Allan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks all, I just did a search on google and it seems there are a lot of people having the same or similar problems on Amazon. I have sent a message to Roadhawk to see if they have a solution, maybe the hardwire kit is the answer though.

Allan

hard wiring will be more time consuming than rewiring the socket to a permanant supply.

You will still need to wire into the vehicle fuse block or find a permanant live elsewhere then the wiring will need hiding between camera and dashboard which may mean removing the windscreen/door post trims to put the wires behind.

From memory, the road hawk has an auto off function so even if you forget to turn the camera off it will turn itself off saving your battery.

Last edited:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Why not reconnect your aux socket to a permanent feed at the fuse board? No wiring involved.

Just one further point. My sat nav, reversing cameras, and stuff I'm charging all turn off when I start the van, but they come back on. Is there something wrong with your camera?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Why not reconnect your aux socket to a permanent feed at the fuse board? No wiring involved.

Just one further point. My sat nav, reversing cameras, and stuff I'm charging all turn off when I start the van, but they come back on. Is there something wrong with your camera?
There might be, just waiting to hear from Roadhawk. But, if i start the van when its warm, the camera seems to stay on as the engine is cranking, same as the sat nav, which stays on for 10 seconds after power is interrupted.
Allan

re the permanent wiring, thats probably a good idea, but i would forget to turn it off and there is no auto shut off feature. Once its recording, it carries on....

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There might be, just waiting to hear from Roadhawk. But, if i start the van when its warm, the camera seems to stay on as the engine is cranking, same as the sat nav, which stays on for 10 seconds after power is interrupted.
Allan

re the permanent wiring, thats probably a good idea, [HI]but i would forget to turn it off and there is no auto shut off feature. Once its recording, it carries on[/HI]....

apologies...i thought it had an auto off function.

That makes rewiring the socket even more attractive.

The warm engine scenario could be that a warm engine starts far quicker than a cold engine so the battery voltage may not be going below the cameras lowest operating voltage threshold.
A cold engine will pull the battery voltage lower as it tries harder to turn the engine.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
i think you're right, although there is no noticeable difference in starting the engine either warm or cold, but i guess it draws more power. I might try wiring it in permanently with a big on/off switch in full view so i don't forget. the cam is mounted behind the rear view screen so i don't notice when the lights are on.
I just wondered if there was any device that would maintain the power for a few seconds while the engine cranks, like the interior light delay relays you used to be able to buy in the good old days..
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back