Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all,
collecting 1st new motorhome on 8th of Feb ::bigsmile: A few weeks later, will be heading for the South of France, has anyone stayed at the Black Horse pub in Ashford close to the tunnel (free stop over if eating at the pub) if so what's it like?
Thanks,
Lee.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi all,
collecting 1st new motorhome on 8th of Feb ::bigsmile: A few weeks later, will be heading for the South of France, has anyone stayed at the Black Horse pub in Ashford close to the tunnel (free stop over if eating at the pub) if so what's it like?
Thanks,
Lee.

Stayed at Black Horse farm C.C site on the way out to Spain. Read all the reviews in the comments book on site re the food/attitude in the nearby pub and nearly didn't go!
What the heck people were moaning about I really dont know cos we had a cracking meal and a good pint at sensible prices. Also, the staff were friendly & helpfull.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Yes stayed there about two years ago.
Found it to be a very nice Pub
With friendly staff however I remember the roads to it where very tight

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
As said access is quite narrow for a few hundred yards and the food is quite expensive.
We usually stay at Lenacre Farm CL

Mike

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
As Mel says nice pub good food but they stop serving early on a Sunday. So best to check if you intend eating.

Parking is in car park and you can pick up electric. Roads are narrow.

I don't bother staying this side now rather get on train and stay on aires near calais.

John

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have stayed there a few times.

Had a laugh in the pub opposite last Summer.

6 of us roll up and sit at a table. A young waitress appears and gives us our menus and takes the drinks order. One of the dishes was " curry of the day" so when she came back we asked what the curry was. She said she would go and get another girl who knew all about that. A few minutes late another girl arrived and said we could have chicken vindaloo, chicken madras, chicken tikka madras, and about several other options some of which I had never heard of. 5 of us ordered different curry dishes. Very impressed we were.

About 10 minutes later another girl turned up at our table to tell us that they had run out of the curry. " Which one?" I asked, " All of them" she replied. She then went on to list what else they had run out of. After a while I suggested it might be easier to tell us what they did have rather than what they didn't have.

Her reply?

" All we have is sausages"

This was off a menu with about 15 main courses:Doh:

In fairness to them I think the Landlord or Landlady might have died that week so they were a bit up in the air.

We have eaten there before and it was ok but you wouldn't really choose to go there.

The site itself is fine.

Last edited:

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
We stayed there late November last year. Massive car park with facilities but its not free if you have a meal. Its £10 a night (without electric) & the landlady gives 10% off the food bill.

Yes the lanes are narrow!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think I might be talking about the wrong place:Doh:

I was talking about the pub opposite the CC site which I think is called Black Horse Farm.

Sorry

OP
OP
L

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think I might be talking about the wrong place:Doh:

I was talking about the pub opposite the CC site which I think is called Black Horse Farm.

Sorry
Hi Chris,
yes I'm also talking about the pub, on their web site it says free overnight stop if you eat there. Even if it is only sausages :ROFLMAO:
Lee.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Sounds like someone is getting confused.

Black Horse C & CC site is near Folkestone The Black Horse pub is at Brabourne Lees between Ashford & Folkestone off the A20.

I understand the pub does make a charge even if you use the pub, & there have been a few poor reviews in the past.

Closer to the tunnel is the Drum Inn at Stanford. Once again a charge but good food and literally 10 mins. from the tunnel. Close to J11 of the M20, you can find it on my pubs to stop at map in my signature.

PS Ooops got that wrong, The Black Horse is at Stowting it's the Plough Inn at Brabourne Lees.

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We stayed at the Flying Horse Inn in Ashford - another Britstop, page 100. A lovely old pub, opposite the village cricket green. The food was good and Paul and Nicola were very welcoming. Plenty of space in the car park to park up. Very easy to get back onto motorway to get to the tunnel. :Smile:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I've never taken a motorhome to these pubs, but these were extremely commonly frequented pubs to me in my youth.

Brought back a lot of memories.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back