Rear Bumper Material Starline BM 640 (1 Viewer)

danzaneer

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Hymer Starline BM 640 1999 serial 13991714

I am trying to identify the bumper plastic of the above vehicle since I have, um, inadvertently modified it! I am thinking that it is ABS, but surprisingly I can find no identification marks on the part and various sources suggest PUR. However the cheeks are spot welded to the main part and a soldering iron will melt not burn the plastic which suggests otherwise. Polyester filler will not adhere. Bumper core colour is white along fracture line and all exterior surfaces grey - I suspect it might be self-coloured since sanding does not reveal a white substrate The thickness is about about 4mm. The bumper is a single moulding apart from the lateral edge trims/cheeks

I am also advised that this part is still available from Hymer to special order albeit at some £900. That is both impressive and remarkable but I feel obliged to try repairing first.

TIA

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I bought some plastic solvent welding chemical off an ebay model shop. It welds Burstner plastic and just about every other plastic I've tried it on. Brilliant stuff.

Item: 310759063083

OP
OP
D

danzaneer

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for the tip and the swift response. Sadly, I need also to add some material for the missing pieces. I will get a bottle to try it and report back but it will be some weeks before I get the chance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I found that standard fibreglass and resin did stick to well roughed up plastic, as an "insurance" backing.

I also used "Isopon with fibreglass" hole filler for areas too wide to weld.

My sad story here: Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
D

danzaneer

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
After reading your success story, I have tested straight polyester resin and mat with good results - why the filler would not adhere is still a mystery. I also gleaned that the glue is methylene chloride based which means that I should be able to use plastic plumbing adhesive, which is more readily available.

I am most grateful to you for your advice and I will report back in due course. Suggests that I might be dealing with ABS though the front bumper is definitely GRP.

I suppose the answer will be to test the repair by flexing the bumper before repainting.

ps the discovery of the rot behind your bumper shows that there is always a silver lining - it was just as well you discovered it when you did.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
ps the discovery of the rot behind your bumper shows that there is always a silver lining - it was just as well you discovered it when you did.

I don't remember saying that when I found it !

But it was minor, unlike the other side, which I found by accident when I removed a floor bolt and saw it rusty and wet. "That's not right I said". I was a month of hacking and blowing hot air before I started the actual repair.

The problem was optimistic German design. The side skirt had a thin plastic membrane that was supposed to direct water away from the inside. It did not work. Caulking the skirts on top where it is visible and not too pleasing is however a guaranteed cure. The only practical way of doing the repair in very cramped places was fibreglass, hopefully stronger and longer lasting than original.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi danzaneer

I think you will find that an epoxy resin will stick and then catty filler will go on top of the epoxy before you paint it, I repaired an ABS shower tray with epoxy and stuck like Poo to a blanket.

You can get epoxy kits on the internet or go to a boat or canoe builder if you have one local.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back