First visit to France and Gaslo (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi,

we just bought our motorhome last November and are planning our first trip to France in it. We want to get to Provence as my wife was there and loved the area. We have the Carefree book from the camping and caravan club and were thinking of booking all through them. We live near Newcastle and are considering whether it is best to go over to Holland and drive down or drive down to Dover and go from Calais. We know it will be more expensive going from Newcastle, but we love driving in Holland. We have 2 dogs also.

Can anyone give us any advice on where to stay, best routes things to watch out for. Any advice would be appreciated.

We are also going to get converted to Gaslo as we heard that it is better if we are travelling in Europe a lot. We intend this to be the first trip of many. Has anyone any thoughts on Gaslo Vs normal propane bottles.

Again any thoughts would be appreciated.:Smile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
No, no, no, no !!!!!

Don't book sites !!! Buy the "All the Aires book" you will save yourself a fortune and not be restricted to being at a site at a certain time !!:Blush::Blush::Blush:

And another thing......Buy the Britstops book for places to stay free of charge on your way to Dover !!
Stay on Marine Parade then.......
Travel with the DFDS ferry on Sunday morning at 8 am for a leisurly drive through France without the hassle of Lorries !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Don't book sites !!! Buy the "All the Aires book" you will save yourself a fortune and not be restricted to being at a site at a certain time !!:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Thanks, but the advice I'm seeing is don't stay overnight at Aires, because of thieves etc. Honestly we haven't a clue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have pooches the Chunnel is best as they stay in the 'van with you.

Can't comment on Gaslow but ours has a built in gas tank which is sort of similar and it is very convenient and cheap to fill.

You don't need to book out of season but if you want to go to Provence in August then you probably do.

Whether you use Aires is up to you. We prefer the space you get on a proper site. On some Aires it can be cheek by jowel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hello!

You didn't really talk about the route through France you have planned if any

So if you plan to go through or near Toulouse, you're most welcome to have a free stopover at my place.

Please note I won't be home next week end nor the first 10 days of March.

If you need any details then just PM me.

Lots of room around my house for dogs walking as I live on a stadium, but totally forbidden in my garden during the working days as I am a childminder.:Smile:

Amicalement
Frankie

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Thanks, but the advice I'm seeing is[HI][HI] don't stay overnight at Aires,[/HI][/HI] because of thieves etc. Honestly we haven't a clue.

This refer to Aires on Autoroutes not the village aires where you will be welcomed !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Gaslo no problem here in France. Stay away from motorway and big town aires and you will be fine.
We have stayed on many and never even felt vulnerable.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Hello!

You didn't really talk about the route through France you have planned if any

So if you plan to go through or near Toulouse, you're most welcome to have a free stopover at my place.

Please note I won't be home next week end nor the first 10 days of March.

If you need any details then just PM me.

Lots of room around my house for dogs walking as I live on a stadium, but totally forbidden in my garden during the working days as I am a childminder.:Smile:

Amicalement
Frankie

Thanks very much, to be honest we are just looking at options now, but we are very flexible. I just googled the route from Calais to Avignon and thought I'd work out a route round about that. We were thinking of travelling in April. Again thanks for the offer and we'll certainly get in touch if we are going that way.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks, but the advice I'm seeing is don't stay overnight at Aires, because of thieves etc. Honestly we haven't a clue.

No one is more fussy about security than my wife but even she is completely relaxed when we stay on aires in France. I think the general view is not to stay overnight on motorway aires but the others - in small towns, villages, by the coast etc are really lovely and feel completely safe.

On our couple of trips to France we must have stayed on about 40 different aires and never had a problem. I would advise you get yourself 'All the Aires France' by Vicarious Books.

We have Gaslow in our van and have the different adaptors required for various parts of Europe. It really is easy to just fill up when you need to. Bear in mind that you can't buy Calor Gas cylinders outside the UK

Paul

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you will need a French adapter for filling the gaslow there but simple and easy.

dont forget the ACSI discount book if you prefer site, or even ACSI interactive DVD if you carry a laptop we find that really the dogs bits!:Blush:

and dont need to book, we have only twice in 4 years each 6 - 8 weeks at a time arrived at a site that was full, and there was another 15 mins away:thumb:

happy travelling:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
No one is more fussy about security than my wife but even she is completely relaxed when we stay on aires in France. I think the general view is not to stay overnight on motorway aires but the others - in small towns, villages, by the coast etc are really lovely and feel completely safe.

On our couple of trips to France we must have stayed on about 40 different aires and never had a problem. I would advise you get yourself 'All the Aires France' by Vicarious Books.

We have Gaslow in our van and have the different adaptors required for various parts of Europe. It really is easy to just fill up when you need to. Bear in mind that you can't buy Calor Gas cylinders outside the UK

Paul

Thanks very much for your input. I'm wondering if they are that good why would anyone want to stay on a campsite. I take it there is a charge to stay at an Aire. Do they have electric hookup, and a place to get rid of waste water? I have heard them mentioned but thought they were like just parking areas.:thumb:

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I take it there is a charge to stay at an Aire. Do they have electric hookup, and a place to get rid of waste water? I have heard them mentioned but thought they were like just parking areas.:thumb:

Yes to all those (except electrics, which only some offer) - yet we still use campsites.
I can only suggest try them - all part of the fun.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thanks very much for your input. I'm wondering if they are that good why would anyone want to stay on a campsite. I take it there is a charge to stay at an Aire. Do they have electric hookup, and a place to get rid of waste water? I have heard them mentioned but thought they were like just parking areas.:thumb:

Some are just like parking areas but many are very scenic with grass and other green stuff to lessen the car park feeling. Nearly all have water and disposal facilities, some have leccy too and the cost varies from ermm ... free to 10 or so euros per night, either paid at a central bollard or collected in person. We crossed France to Switzerland last summer and the 5 nights or so cost us about 18 euros in all. Highly recommended. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Many aires are free but can got to 12euroish facilities vary but all have a dump for black n grey water. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Some aires are simply a corner of a town's car park, some have individual 'pitches' surrounded by hedges campsite style with your own electricity supply. Most aires have a service point where you can get water, empty waste etc. For a couple of euros you can plug in here and get a couple of hours electricity to charge up the old ipad / laptop / phone.

This video gives you a bit of an intro to aires:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_9QsKyP05Q"]AIRE TODAY, GONE TOMORROW - Aires Camping-Car in France - airetoday.co.uk - YouTube[/ame]

Paul

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I can recommend All the Aires book too. The first week we spent in France in our new van last year cost us €3 in total and we stayed in some superb aires. The only campsite we stayed in recently was in Dunkerque because we were late getting there and all the aires were full. ( this was in August)

Most aires have good service points with a small charge for their use. They have fresh water, toilet emptying facilities and electricity but there is usually a charge of 2 or 3 Euros for about 15 minutes of power. Long enough for Mrs A to dry her hair!
All the Aires book will give you info on the service points and where they are situated. Make sure you have a couple of different size tap adapters because not everything is standardised over there.
Have fun
Allan

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Couple of photos of aires from our first France trip in 2012.

Attachments

• Bauge aire.JPG
    Bauge aire.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Nieuel aire.JPG
    Nieuel aire.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Service point.JPG
    Service point.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

Don't get confused, you have Aires open to everyone on the A roads, don't, I've been gassed on one. Then you have motorhome Aires, completely different, ok there's been a couple I wouldn't spend the night on, but in the last 3 years there's been many more where I've had a great night :Cool:

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Another Youtube video showing a dashcam arrival at Equihen Plage aire (very handy for Calais). This is by Keith Chesterfield, he has several good videos on Youtube. This is the very first aire we stayed on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qmaRhtD-xI"]ÉQUIHEN PLAGE - YouTube[/ame]

Upvote 0

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fantastic, thanks this may put my wife's mind at rest.:thumb:

If your even a bit worried try France Passion, you don't have to buy anything but stay on ones selling things you like and it's not a problem. Just that bit more secure and this year their book has GPS references.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to echo what others have said about Aires. The motorway Aires (Aire de Repos) are like our motorway service areas and while some people overnight on them most don't - any more than they don't here. Aires de Campingcars (motorhomes), however are totally different. They are specifically for motorhomes - no caravans/cars/lorries etc. Some are free others a small charge. They have emptying/filling facilities. Some have a bread van that delivers in the morning. They are to be found all over France Germany etc.
The first time we went my wife was reluctant because of security fears, now she's perfectly happy and we almost never bother with campsites.

They allow for a totally different holiday, with complete freedom. We always book one way ferry then tour around at will moving from place to place and just finding the nearest Aire when we want to stop somewhere. They are invariably a short walk from the town/village and some are in lovely locations.

When we feel ready we will make our way back towards Calais/Dunkerque and book return ferry (using wifi at McDonalds) a day or so before. That way there is no set itinerary and no rush to get back to the coast in time for the ferry.

It all seems a little daunting till you try it and actually it's a much less stressful holiday than having bookings to fulfill. :thumb:

Bear in mind that, as said, Calor is not available out of UK. If not going for LPG then simply buy a French gas bottle for use over there.
Wyn

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
When we go I was just going to wear a Toon shirt and hope I was recognised for supporting a very French football team. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back