LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We had a motorhome in the 1990s when the kids were still at home. When two left home and a change of job meant a house move we reluctantly sold the bus using the money to help finance a self-build.

12 years on with Grandchildren and part-time work / semi-retirement a return to motorhoming is in order so we are looking to buy another motorhome. At present we are seriously looking with a view to buy in the next 6 months (earlier if the right vehicle I available) but what we need is:

3/4 berths and seats with belts. 4 preferred.

A window or door at the back large enough to take our sea kayaks (which are monsters!) They need to go inside as not only does carrying them on the roof the affect the centre of gravity but I have already had a hernia repair so need to avoid lifting.

An absolute minimum payload of 500kg as the lighter of the kayaks weighs 35kg bare hull and over 50kg outfitted. A kayaker in full gear weighs more than 100kg so you can see how the payload becomes important. Two kayakers plus kayaks and you are already over 300kg and you haven't even put fuel in the tank!

We tried out a Hymer Swing but found it wasn't comfortable for driving. We also looked at a Hobby 600 but when it went to the weighbridge there was only 350kg payload left rather than as was stated in the literature.

If anyone has any ideas of makes and models we should look at we'd be grateful.

Puddleduck.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think you've got your work cut out with that spec.

And every time you stop you're tripping over kayaks. Got to unload them regularly and then they'll get nicked.

Have you thought of a trailer ?

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I think you've got your work cut out with that spec.

And every time you stop you're tripping over kayaks. Got to unload them regularly and then they'll get nicked.

Have you thought of a trailer ?

When you stop you slide the kayaks out and push them under the vehicle then chain them together and to the vehicle. This takes less time than filling a kettle once you know how it is done and have the gear to do it.

We've been kayaking for over 40 years and the inside / outside slide (as it is known) is the easiest and best solution for vehicles that can carry kayaks inside. If you have kayaks on the top of any vehicle the kayak manufacturer advises to unload them when you have an overnight stop even when you use "J" racks.

We want to get rid of the trailer - it is over 5 metres long when loaded, costs a fortune on ferries, we get stopped by police for "spot checks" almost every journey (although they never find a problem, my son is a technical expert for the manufacturer so the trailer is spot on) and by past experience trailers get nicked much more quickly than kayaks.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome.

If you goggle motorhome U shaped lounge you will get a selection of motorhomes to peruse. These should offer the big window at the back. This is the layout that we are looking for too, not for kayaks as our travel on the roof bars, but just because we like this layout.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I should have said (but didn't) that when on a kayak trip there tends to be just the two of us in the vehicle. Our Grandson is not a year old yet so it will be some time (at least 9 years) before he is coming on a kayak tour with us. The plans are that we will be able to have regular kayak tours and also able to have "soft" trips with Grandson. By the time he is ready to come on kayak trips we will be changing vehicles. I keep my vehicles a long time, the record is 17 years and I only got rid of that because I could no longer get parts.

I like the rear lounge layout but other half is worried that they tend not to have rear seat belts. We want a much smaller unit this time round. Ideally I'd like to get one that is rather tatty (at least inside) but mechanically sound and have the interior refitted to suit us. Again the other half just wants to switch on the ignition and drive away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We want to get rid of the trailer

Got the picture now.

To most FUNsters shoving some possibly dirty wet boats into their living space would fill them with horror. But you have a different take on this. Same as dog owners, they usually say the dogs don't smell, all non dog owners know they do.

Good luck with your hunt and the more we talk about this the higher up the list this thread gets and might be spotted by someone with The Answer.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
To most FUNsters shoving some possibly dirty wet boats into their living space would fill them with horror. But you have a different take on this.

I really do understand the looks of horror I must be getting! However.....

The boats have to be fully cleaned and disinfected at the end of every trip, and every time a kayaker changes river, before the boats are moved either by trolley or vehicle from the egress point. It is necessary to do this to help prevent the spread of "alien invasive species" such as American Signal Crayfish. They go into "whale bags" (like giant dry bags) as they go into a vehicle. This does stop an awful lot any possible dirt and wet.

Because of the hard use we'll put the vehicle to we'd be looking at a second hand vehicle.

Since we built our own house the refit of a motorhome would not overly worry us. I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine and have re-upholstered many a sofa!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think you need one of these....

images

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The boats have to be fully cleaned and disinfected at the end of every trip, and every time a kayaker changes river

You are certainly showing me something I never knew existed. Though I remember these infections cropping up on Country File.

If you had the time it looks like you'd do a grand job with a big long high van and your own imagination. Hasn't Yorick done something similar to carry his race bike ?

Any change of underfloor storage if you designed your own ?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The boats have to be fully cleaned and disinfected at the end of every trip, and every time a kayaker changes river, before the boats are moved either by trolley or vehicle from the egress point

I didn't know or even think about that :Doh: What do you use to disinfect the boats, anything special?

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
We had a motorhome in the 1990s when the kids were still at home. When two left home and a change of job meant a house move we reluctantly sold the bus using the money to help finance a self-build.

12 years on with Grandchildren and part-time work / semi-retirement a return to motorhoming is in order so we are looking to buy another motorhome. At present we are seriously looking with a view to buy in the next 6 months (earlier if the right vehicle I available) but what we need is:

3/4 berths and seats with belts. 4 preferred.

A window or door at the back large enough to take our sea kayaks (which are monsters!) They need to go inside as not only does carrying them on the roof the affect the centre of gravity but I have already had a hernia repair so need to avoid lifting.

An absolute minimum payload of 500kg as the lighter of the kayaks weighs 35kg bare hull and over 50kg outfitted. A kayaker in full gear weighs more than 100kg so you can see how the payload becomes important. Two kayakers plus kayaks and you are already over 300kg and you haven't even put fuel in the tank!

We tried out a Hymer Swing but found it wasn't comfortable for driving. We also looked at a Hobby 600 but when it went to the weighbridge there was only 350kg payload left rather than as was stated in the literature.

If anyone has any ideas of makes and models we should look at we'd be grateful.

Puddleduck.

You could always put a hatch door in the rear like I did see link

Link Removed

With the right van the kyac will slide in
It's finding one with the right shapes inside furniture and tables heaters
Mine I had to replace the gas fire at the rear and fit an air heater
But I only climb through the hatch when the vans at home!,

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I didn't know or even think about that :Doh: What do you use to disinfect the boats, anything special?

It changes from time to time and area to area so a phone call to the relevant authority (BCU or equivalent) is necessary. We haven't been out for a year due to my ill health but last time we were out we had to use one of the readily available agricultural disinfectants. In Norway you have to report at the local police station before and after - sometimes they send someone to check and sometimes they don't.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
You could always put a hatch door in the rear like I did see link

Link Removed

With the right van the kyac will slide in
It's finding one with the right shapes inside furniture and tables heaters
Mine I had to replace the gas fire at the rear and fit an air heater
But I only climb through the hatch when the vans at home!,

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Now that could well be a solution! We'll be at the Glasgow show in three weeks (DD is an adopted WeeGee) and then Harrogate at the end of March. By then we'll have a much better idea of finances (or lack of) as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back